68 and want to be healthier

tmullin1017
tmullin1017 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2021 in Introduce Yourself
Hi I’m Tom from NW Washington state. Retired couch potato recently underwent physical therapy for a bum right shoulder and still at it. 40 lbs over my goal weight. Diets... I’ve tried a bunch, mostly the kind I didn’t have to think about too much or actually exercise. Lost and gained it back several times, demoralizing. Looking to make a permanent life change and plan to start working out at home and eating better.

Replies

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,137 MFP Staff
    Hi I’m Tom from NW Washington state. Retired couch potato recently underwent physical therapy for a bum right shoulder and still at it. 40 lbs over my goal weight. Diets... I’ve tried a bunch, mostly the kind I didn’t have to think about too much or actually exercise. Lost and gained it back several times, demoralizing. Looking to make a permanent life change and plan to start working out at home and eating better.

Hi Tom! Welcome to MyFitnessPal. You have definitely landed in the right place (both tools and community) for leaving diets behind for a permanent life change.

You might find this Starting Over post an interesting read.

What does eating better mean for you?

Happy you are here - come back and tell us how its going!
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hi Tom! Another NW Washington retired person here! I just started this too, I've got about 50 lbs to go. I think the practice of logging in food and exercise consistently will help me achieve my goal, as it did in the past. Also, developing some online support will be helpful. I was going to go for a long brisk walk on the Centennial trail, but it doesn't look like I'll get a break from the rain today so instead I'll do some strength training indoors. I can't wait for the better weather so I can ride my bike.

I had surgery on my right shoulder a few years ago and suffered some complications. Eventually I found great shoulder doctors out of Kirkland, EvergreenHealth Sport and Spine Care, who solved my problems. What a relief that was! Now, I have a bum left hip from two falls on the ice in 2019. I did months of PT, but I still have a lot of trouble, especially if I don't keep somewhat active. Covid lockdowns have aggravated it because I started lying around too much, plus packed on some pounds in 2020. So here I am, better late than never! Covid pretty much forced me into retirement, I had planned on working part time until I was 70-ish.

Welcome aboard! Send me a friend request if you want, I've found that it's helpful for accountability.