Les Mills RPM

Options
I've been doing Les Mills workouts at my gym for years, but since the start of COVID I haven't been back. I got a Les Mill On Demand subscriptions a few weeks ago, and I'd like to try their RPM indoor cycling program. I've heard the Peloton bikes are only compatible with a Peloton subscription (not to mention expensive). I'm not sure how the workouts compare to Peloton or some of the other subscription models, though. Is there anything similar that can be used without a subscription, and considerably cheaper that you would recommend?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would recommend putting your bike on a wheel-on or wheel-off smart trainer - that's if you have a bike of course!

Are these RPM workouts like a Spinning class?
    What features do you actually need from your bike? If you need or want smart connectivity you are into a very different realm to basic "manual" indoor bikes.

If RPM is similar to Spin classes then a generic spin bike would do if you are just working on general fitness rather than bike fitness and cycling goals. A gym/commercial quality used bike shouldn't be too expensive unless there's a global pandemic going on which has sent demand for home training equipment through the roof.....
    Having said that a lot of gyms have gone out of business and are selling off bikes that are very robust and high quality.

A lot of low priced home/domestic quality exercise bikes aren't nice to use or very robust.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I would recommend putting your bike on a wheel-on or wheel-off smart trainer - that's if you have a bike of course!

Are these RPM workouts like a Spinning class?
    What features do you actually need from your bike? If you need or want smart connectivity you are into a very different realm to basic "manual" indoor bikes.

If RPM is similar to Spin classes then a generic spin bike would do if you are just working on general fitness rather than bike fitness and cycling goals. A gym/commercial quality used bike shouldn't be too expensive unless there's a global pandemic going on which has sent demand for home training equipment through the roof.....
    Having said that a lot of gyms have gone out of business and are selling off bikes that are very robust and high quality.

A lot of low priced home/domestic quality exercise bikes aren't nice to use or very robust.

Thanks for your response!

So it seems I may have initially overthought this (thats what I get for reading subreddits!). It looks like what I need is a simple spin bike with resistance settings. RPM looks to be a glorified spin class where you just follow along watching the app video, so the bike does not necessarily need to have smart connectivity (although I reserve the right to also try Zwift at some point in the future 😀). It may be nice, though, to have something to rest a phone/iPad on to follow along with the app.
    I actually have a Cannondale hybrid bike..never occurred to me that I could use it! I'm looking more at general fitness as my goal..I love riding my bike but I'm not ever going to be a serious cyclist by any means.
    I don't know of any gyms closing around here at the moment (it's mainly YMCAs and PF, and those are still going strong so far in this area), but FB marketplace is always an option, too, I guess.