Food timing, when to eat what

bertoroe
bertoroe Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Does timing of food not matter? Do you eat certain foods at certain times of the day? I know it's an odd question but I notice I have a hard time pushing myself to eat certain foods at certain hours. For example eating eggs or pancakes at night when they seem like breakfast meals. Or veggies or steak in the morning. Am I just culturally conditioned? Lol.

It almost limits what I can eat through the day because I'm not sure I can find the idea of veggies appetizing in the mornings. Maybe high fats, high electrolytes and fiber in the morning and low at night? Any thoughts?

Replies

• bertoroe
    bertoroe Posts: 12 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    bertoroe wrote: »
    Does timing of food not matter?

No, timing makes little difference unless you're an elite athlete trying to squeeze the last .0001% out of your body.

There, saved you from diet industry marketing BS.

Yeah, I've read it's marketing BS. It's crazy to think about, I am so used to thinking of things like eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, most dairies, cereals, and fruits as the only morning foods. So when I see people talk about eating salads in the morning, veggies, it's a little odd to stomach. But not having them available has been making my meal planning very difficult, because I couldn't figure out what to eat at what hour. I know, it's odd, but I'm still new to managing my nutrition and don't have a lot of cooking experience under my belt yet.
    hope this helps it's really all over the place

It did, thanks! I appreciate your story and your suggestions. Fiber at night makes sense, I'll try it out and see if it'll help me with night hunger.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Well, there is some logic to eating some carbs for breakfast to boost blood sugar. But, then, the argument works in reverse for people who DON'T want to boost blood sugar. (Thus the black coffee with butter thing.)

One person's elixir is another's poison, as they say.

Anyway, I like oatmeal with nuts and berries for breakfast, FWIW. :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Does timing of food not matter? Do you eat certain foods at certain times of the day? I know it's an odd question but I notice I have a hard time pushing myself to eat certain foods at certain hours. For example eating eggs or pancakes at night when they seem like breakfast meals. Or veggies or steak in the morning. Am I just culturally conditioned? Lol.

It almost limits what I can eat through the day because I'm not sure I can find the idea of veggies appetizing in the mornings. Maybe high fats, high electrolytes and fiber in the morning and low at night? Any thoughts?

For the average person, timing doesn't matter...when you eat vegetables, etc doesn't matter. If things were this complicated, we would have likely gone extinct long ago. Good nutrition matters...adequate calories matter.

I've never in my life had a salad for breakfast and I prefer "breakfast foods" for breakfast...usually toast and scrambled eggs or an omelet or oats with eggs, some fruit, etc. Sometimes I might put some spinach or mushrooms or something in my omelet...but for the most part I eat my veggies later in the day.

I will sometimes have leftovers from dinner for breakfast, but it's rare...I usually save those for lunch.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    It's cultural conditioning, but if you feel strongly about it no reason to try to get over it.

I like to eat veg with all meals, but don't have any cultural conditioning against something like a vegetable omelet.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2021
    Objectively, meal timing doesn't matter, or too little to matter for most people. Subjectively, I find it much easier to control my appetite when skipping breakfast.

Eating steak, or meat in general, in the morning feels fundamentally wrong to me for some reason. YMMV. Raw veggies in the morning, however... I can dig it.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    As a side note, not eating after 6PM has eliminated my acid reflux/GERD. I no longer need to take meds for that. Not that it really matters in the big picture, but I weigh myself in the morning. So I like the 14+ hour fast/post-elimination consistency of weighing myself.
  • pauldalen1
    pauldalen1 Posts: 3 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Does timing of food not matter?

No, timing makes little difference unless you're an elite athlete trying to squeeze the last .0001% out of your body.

There, saved you from diet industry marketing BS.

Yeah, I've read it's marketing BS. It's crazy to think about, I am so used to thinking of things like eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, most dairies, cereals, and fruits as the only morning foods. So when I see people talk about eating salads in the morning, veggies, it's a little odd to stomach. But not having them available has been making my meal planning very difficult, because I couldn't figure out what to eat at what hour. I know, it's odd, but I'm still new to managing my nutrition and don't have a lot of cooking experience under my belt yet.
    hope this helps it's really all over the place

It did, thanks! I appreciate your story and your suggestions. Fiber at night makes sense, I'll try it out and see if it'll help me with night hunger.

Intermittent fasting isn't market BS. it's a legit method of reducing insulin levels. And because insulin is inextricably linked to weight gain, weight loss is much easier.
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    I'm no expert, but from what I know, no, it doesn't matter when you eat what. A calorie is a calorie. However note that eating at different times may make you want to eat more. For example if I have breakfast super early I will end up craving a morning snack and will end up eating more than usual. Something to note.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    7rainbow wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but from what I know, no, it doesn't matter when you eat what. A calorie is a calorie. However note that eating at different times may make you want to eat more. For example if I have breakfast super early I will end up craving a morning snack and will end up eating more than usual. Something to note.

Exactly this. I ate 3 meals for ages and didn't have an issue (but if adding snacking I would have eaten more). I'm currently experimenting with 2 meals (as I can eat more then and not feel a loss and skipping breakfast is no big thing for me). It's an easy way for me to reduce/control cals but does not suggest cals aren't what matter, of course they do.