Snacking...

Options
I know the most common answers to this will be carrot sticks, an apple, banana, nuts, etc, but I wondered if anybody had any suggestions for some quick snacks that are low fat/calorie? Things you can buy and grab quickly when on the go?
I don't think I could handle another cherry tomatoes, so looking for some ideas that are exciting, but not belt stetching!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Question: are you snacking because you're feeling hungry or are you snacking because you're feeling snacky?

I ask because my answer is different depending on the circumstance.

If I'm hungry and don't have many calories, I'll have a cabbage salad (slaw mix and hot sauce), some broth with a couple tablespoons of oats cooked in it, or a coffee with oat milk. Or the old standard, carrots with some dijon mustard. I know from experience these things will fill me up. The important thing in this circumstance is to pick foods that will make me feel full and that can vary by person.

If I'm just feeling snacky, I'll have something like a pickle or sauerkraut, fruit, or some tortilla chips (depending on how many calories I feel like spending). Since I'm not hungry, I don't have to worry about these not being as filling for me -- I'm just wanting something that I enjoy eating.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am always on the go so I get the need for a quick snack that is good. My 2 go to snacks are mini kind bars. There are several flavors. They have nuts and chocolate so it's both sweet and salty and has some protein and only 90 calories. My other go to snack are balanced breaks. They have a cheese and some other snacky things. My favorite one has chocolate and raspberry pieces and graham crackers and cheese. They average around 180 calories.

I'm not into the apple, banana, carrot stuff. I want a snack that is more snack like.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    All about fresh berries. Driscolls are in my store at 5 for $10 most weeks. At most 2 for $5. A pint of blueberries or raspberries or blackberries as a hand food is a good alternative to Doritos. And, by the way, nuts are the most calories dense snack there is.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Pickles! Hits the salty, crunchy spot for super low calories.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Stuffed olives
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    String cheese or other lower fat cheese sticks.

Flavored rice cakes like chocolate, everything but the bagel (possibly a Target exclusive), apple cinnamon, etc.

Mini bars mentioned above are good, note that some are sold as "kid" bars in other brands. I've gotten kind of fond of the ones from Core (refrigerated in the store).

• LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    pickled vegs,
    thin sliced turkey rolled up around a pickled asparagus or pickled green bean,
    romaine leaf with tuna,
    jerky
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    danthirks wrote: »
    I know the most common answers to this will be carrot sticks, an apple, banana, nuts, etc, but I wondered if anybody had any suggestions for some quick snacks that are low fat/calorie? Things you can buy and grab quickly when on the go?
    I don't think I could handle another cherry tomatoes, so looking for some ideas that are exciting, but not belt stretching!

Greek yogurt. Jerky. Tinned fishes or fish packs. There's those small salmon and tuna kits and kipper snacks for satiety. I really do like O Snap products for Grab N Go foods. Have yourself a good coffee or tea from someplace that you like to go. You can always opt for a side salad at almost any drive-thru joint. A person has to go easy on the nuts because those can add up quickly. I like kombucha because it fills you up and you can find some bottles that are only 50 calories. There's LaCroix waters and many other brands like it but swilling one of those often gets the job done without blowing your calorie bank right out of the water.

bnwhganvk4d5.png

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Question: are you snacking because you're feeling hungry or are you snacking because you're feeling snacky?

Ditto. Different circumstances, different snacks.

I keep a few instant oatmeal packets in my desk drawer and a few homemade breakfast burritos that I can microwave in a hurry if I'm REALLY hungry.

When I'm more snacky, I have a collection of sweet and salty stuff-- all at about 130-150 calories per serving. Currently, there's dried mango and kiwi, mini Kind bars, single serve microwave popcorn, rice crispy bites, single serve trail mix, and my latest obsession: mushroom jerky.

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, deli meats, Maria crackers, and hot tea, which isn't caloric but always seems satisfying.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    the key to curbing your cravings is voluminous food, so lots of stuff to shove in your mouth at a few calories, the number one answer is Orville Redenbacher’s SmartPop popcorn NOT any other kind NOT Skinny Pop from Costco not only is it a lot of food for like a 100 calories but it has some fiber, looks like this

and I'll just let coach Greg yell [ahem] tell you all about it ha ha

POPCORN Taste Test!!! || Skinny Pop VS. Smart Pop!!! || Pickle Pizza!!! Ally are you Pregnant???

ggzndhutot4t.jpg

• B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    beef jerky is another good snack but you do not get that much food, and it is very easy to eat too much, it is the number one source of protein for the ounce, no questions about it, but it packs a ton of sodium

also do not go for the Honey or Teriyaki flavoured ones, as they also pack a ton of sugar in addition to the sodium

other examples of good snacks are strawberries and watermelon (eat as much watermelon as you can when in season)

Bad Snacks include:

Nuts
    Seeds
    Pretzels
    Crackers
    Chips

of course there is no such thing as bad foods, but you know what I mean when it comes to cutting or weight loss, nuts have a ton of goodies in them as do seeds but the serving sizes are like an ounce and who can just eat an ounce of pistachios and stop, these foods are bad because they induce your hunger and make you want to eat more when consumed alone, so hope that helps
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't snack since I prefer larger meals - but I sometimes add these to brunch:
    Mission Carb Balance Fajita Flour Tortilla (45 cal) 1T/16g natural peanut or almond butter (~90 cal) finely diced celery. Spread nut butter, top with celery and roll up. Sometimes I warm the tortilla over an open flame which somehow makes it taste better and seem more filling About 140 calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Ditto. Different circumstances, different snacks.

I keep a few instant oatmeal packets in my desk drawer and a few homemade breakfast burritos that I can microwave in a hurry if I'm REALLY hungry.

When I'm more snacky, I have a collection of sweet and salty stuff-- all at about 130-150 calories per serving. Currently, there's dried mango and kiwi, mini Kind bars, single serve microwave popcorn, rice crispy bites, single serve trail mix, and my latest obsession: mushroom jerky.

Those mini bars (I get the Clif ones) are great for keeping in the office for when you're just wanting a little snack.

I need to check out the mushroom jerky, I'm really intrigued.
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I hate prepping and love sweet things so I'm a sucker for granola bars of different types. If you watch the nutrition label you can avoid the junk ones (that are basically candy bars) and find some healthy options! I quite enjoy the Made Good bars/bites, as well as Kashi bars at the moment. Just make sure you try and look for ones with low sugar, low cals (keep in mind some will be higher if they have nuts in which are healthy and filling) as well as high protein to fill you up! Fibre 1 bars are delicious too.