What to focus on first?

I've been really sedentary for the last year and am about 25LBs over what I think I should be. Lacking in muscle, and too much fat. I want to turn it around to feel better and be healthier, I have to go gentle as I have arthritis in my hips and lower spine. I know you can't turn muscle into fat, I have read that you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit to lose weight as you will be losing muscle too, and won't have the fuel to build muscle. So what should I start with?
Should I do cardio and eat at a deficit to lose weight first, or should I not worry about the fat, eat at maintenance, and do strength training? If I want to lose fat and build muscle but can't do both at the same time what should I do first?

TLDR: If I want to lose fat and build muscle but can't do both at the same time what should I do first?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It's generally true that people can't gain muscle while losing weight (although "newbie gains," for people who are new to activity, are a thing). But this means you probably won't be gaining muscle WEIGHT. You can absolutely gain increased strength and definition while you're losing weight and many of us who incorporate resistance training during weight loss do both!

I began noticing my increased strength and more definition in my arms and legs just a couple months into my weight loss, despite being at a deficit the whole time. So if your goal is to lose weight, eat at a reasonable deficit and focus on all around fitness (that is, cardio and resistance training) and you will likely be much happier with your progress than if you decide to just do a deficit and cardio. Once you've lost some weight, you can always do a recomp or even gain if you decide you want to add muscle weight.

Most people are much happier shedding fat while gaining strength and definition than they are adding more muscle under their excess fat. There's always time to add weight when you're done if that's what you want!
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    I think that what's important isn't doing something short term that's just going to burn fat and build muscle without being sustainable. Balance your diet and limit your calories to get down to your ideal weight sustainably. Your body will take a while to find an equilibrium, but it knows what it needs and will adapt. To me the most important step ultimately is adjusting your mindset. You can do this!

• Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2021
    Thank you jane! That is exactly what I would like to do, I didn't know I could gain strength while loosing, that is really encouraging :smile:
    I went to the gym last night for the first time since last March, it felt good to see people working out and to be there again.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,729 Member
    edited January 2021
    For beginners, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It requires:
    - sufficient protein intake
    - a small/moderate calorie deficit (0.5 lbs for example)
    - progressive resistance training

Gaining muscle and losing fat is also possible at maintenance calories (maintaining your weight), but it's a slow process that requires patience.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I have severe osteoarthritis in one hip. Based on my experience, I would recommend trying to increase your activity level with a regular joint-friendly activity (swimming? stationary bike? eliptical?), which will help build strength, burn some calories, as well as help ease stiffness and mobility issues associated with. My go-to is swimming, and I can definitely feel the difference in my mobility and pain levels when I skip a day.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    edited January 2021
    Lietchi wrote: »
    For beginners, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. It requires:

Gaining muscle and losing fat is also possible at maintenance calories (maintaining your weight), but it's a slow process that requires patience.

Thank you, how much protein do you think is sufficient (percent)? MFP set it at 20% with the guided set up, is that enough?
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    edited January 2021
    I have severe osteoarthritis in one hip. Based on my experience, I would recommend trying to increase your activity level with a regular joint-friendly activity (swimming? stationary bike? eliptical?), which will help build strength, burn some calories, as well as help ease stiffness and mobility issues associated with. My go-to is swimming, and I can definitely feel the difference in my mobility and pain levels when I skip a day.

Thank you, my go-to used to be aquafit classes, they were canceled last March, and I am so happy to see my gym has started them up again!
    I go cycling outdoors occasionally - short and mostly flat in my neighborhood, and I like hiking. Those exercises seem to work well for my arthritis, I have moderate osteoarthritis in my right, mild in left, and mild in the lower spine, but my physio appts were cancelled due to covid. I have felt the pain in my back and hips get much much worse being sedentary in recent months.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I've been really sedentary for the last year and am about 25LBs over what I think I should be. Lacking in muscle, and too much fat. I want to turn it around to feel better and be healthier, I have to go gentle as I have arthritis in my hips and lower spine. I know you can't turn muscle into fat, I have read that you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit to lose weight as you will be losing muscle too, and won't have the fuel to build muscle. So what should I start with?
    Should I do cardio and eat at a deficit to lose weight first, or should I not worry about the fat, eat at maintenance, and do strength training? If I want to lose fat and build muscle but can't do both at the same time what should I do first?

TLDR: If I want to lose fat and build muscle but can't do both at the same time what should I do first?

The greatest benefit to doing resistance training while dieting is that it helps preserve muscle that you have...muscle is a use it or lose it thing. Your body will not look readily for muscle as fuel if it is actually being used. I would wager most people are happiest with their aesthetics when they've lost weight (fat) and held onto muscle mass.

It is also possible to put on some muscle mass while in a deficit if the training is new, and in particular if you're overweight significantly as your body has a great deal of fat stores to pull for energy...however, noob gains are short lived. Gaining strength at least initially is mostly a matter of CNS adaptation and your muscles that you have actually being recruited to work and do more. Resistance training is particularly important as we age, as that is when we start naturally losing muscle mass. It is also important for maintaining bone density and fighting off osteoporosis in both men and women, but women in particular as they are more susceptible to it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,729 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Thank you, how much protein do you think is sufficient (percent)? MFP set it at 20% with the guided set up, is that enough?

I'm not much of a fan of using a % of total calorie intake, I prefer aiming for an absolute number. For myself I aim at 100gr per day as a minimum. A guideline I've often seen here is 0.8gr of protein per lb of goal weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Thank you jane! That is exactly what I would like to do, I didn't know I could gain strength while loosing, that is really encouraging :smile:
    I went to the gym last night for the first time since last March, it felt good to see people working out and to be there again.

I got SO much stronger when I was losing weight just from using my muscles. They weren't doing much more than lifting groceries before that, so I had lots of room to grow. :D