There is no fail this year!

Options
Hi. I am new to this community. I hope to find and give support to others. My "goals" are to honestly log my nutrition, water, and exercise. I want to see what I am really putting into my body and how it affects blood sugar, not what I think. One really wonderful benefit is I am able to send reports to my health team, proof instead of assumptions. I believe this app will teach me better eating and exercise habits. I eat as healthy as I can, however I am an extremely picky eater. This app shows good details about what I eat and that I don't eat enough. Which boggles my mind. Most foods make me nauseous. As for exercise, I literally count everything I do. I believe anything that gets my heartbeat up, breaks a sweat, is burning calories. Healthmate tracks me and I use it as a guide. My only guidance is Withings and Myfitnesspal. Any advice is welcome. I lost 7lbs last month and I am feeling inspired. I am here to for a lifetime commitment and eliminating/reducing chronic diseases. I refuse to be a statistic. Here we go into 2021 and for the first time I am putting myself out there. Remember there are no fails, each day is a new day!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    xdumler69 wrote: »
    . Remember there are no fails, each day is a new day!
    Every struggle is a lesson :smile:

Regarding the details of what you're eating, be sure to double check the nutrition info in your entries if you want more than calorie info (even that can be wrong) as the database is mainly user entered there are some erroneous entries in there, particularly when it comes to things like sodium (Some countries have salt rather than sodium on the label which can cause confusion as it's not the same thing, salt is around 40% sodium).

USDA is a good source of details for macro/micro nutrient information for fresh produce also.

Best of luck with your health!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,298 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

It's a great journey you are starting. There's not necessarily a destination, but it's a nice trip nonetheless.

I am NOT a picky eater, and I can eat too much. I will echo what @tinkerbellang83 said about errors in the database; be careful that what you enter seems like it's real. You'll get better at that with time. Do you use a scale to measure your portions? Many people, myself included, find this works really well.

What foods DON'T make you nauseous? Maybe use those to find other new things that are similar enough they won't make you nauseous. Speak to your doctor about food making you nauseous. There might be a reason. I had an issue for a while that some foods gave me a headache. I finally think I figured it out.

It might be a few weeks or months before you have a really good instinct about what entries in the database are "way off" or "close to reality." The good thing is that you have the rest of your life to dial in what works best for YOU!

Do you have any short and/or long term goals? How are you thinking about using MFP to get there?