New year new try

Options
I like everyone else in the world have had a lot going on this last year. Trying to overcome illness and injury and keep my family on track with work and school is crazy and I let my self care fall even farther to the back of my mind than usual. Now that I have some of my depression and anxiety back under control it is time to try to get my physical condition and health back into being a priority. One day and one step at a time. Wishing everyone the best of luck in the new year.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

Do you have some specific goals for your first day?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,169 Member
    Options
    Did something happen last year when I wasn't paying attention?

Holy cats, did it ever!

One day at a time, for sure. Slow and steady wins the race and all that. What are your short and long term goals that will tell you when you've been successful?
  • Cricketchirps13
    Cricketchirps13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @Blshumway2010 I’m in a similar situation and I’m rooting for you! I’m glad you’re taking the time for some self care and that you’ve been able to deal with your mental health. Some people don’t realize how hard it is to function every day when you’re fighting a war with your own brain. The fact that you’re trying and taking this step is something to be proud of! ❤️
  • Blshumway2010
    Blshumway2010 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

Main goal to start is to focus on eating when I am eating. No TV or phone, slow down and see if helps me not ever eat.
  • Blshumway2010
    Blshumway2010 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Holy cats, did it ever!

One day at a time, for sure. Slow and steady wins the race and all that. What are your short and long term goals that will tell you when you've been successful?

Short term is just to remember that a bad day doesn't ruin every thing. l am trying not to focus to much on the scale. I am wanting to get to where I can keep up with my kids and play with out having to constantly stop to catch my breath.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,169 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like you're not interested in weight loss. That's ok. I'm still not sure what your goals are. There are lots of great resources here no matter what your goals are. Good luck reaching them, whatever they are.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

Main goal to start is to focus on eating when I am eating. No TV or phone, slow down and see if helps me not ever eat.

That's definitely helpful! I did that as part of a binge-eating self-help program and did notice I wasn't mindlessly wolfing food down the way I had previously. I try to make an effort to sit at the dining table or read a book rather than watch TV/mess with my phone whilst I am eating, still a bit of a distraction but I don't feel like I am in so much of a rush to eat when just reading.

mtaratoot wrote: »

Holy cats, did it ever!

Short term is just to remember that a bad day doesn't ruin every thing. l am trying not to focus to much on the scale. I am wanting to get to where I can keep up with my kids and play with out having to constantly stop to catch my breath.

Have you got some plans on how to improve your cardio fitness?