Taller girls look less muscular

Shorter girls have it made. When bulking... and simply in general during training look alot more muscular. Being taller.. I have to put on what feels like twice as much....
What gives?

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    You have longer muscle insertions so you will have to put on more muscle than someone shorter than you.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    After a life of being called "shortarse" and living with the constant implication that short is somehow inferior, it's nice to know that we little short people excel at something :drinker:

although IMO frame size has a lot to do with how muscular someone looks, and short, small framed women don't look muscular easily either. (I'm short and large framed so get the best of both in this case :drinker: )
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    It's true. Taller people have more area, and can hold a lot more weight. Same for men and women. Just look at gymnasts...usually short people. They get bulky pretty readily (imho it's a nice look for both the male and female gymnasts).

I'm not tall, but just barely tall enough that this sort of thing affects me. I don't look that much different with a 20-lb fluctuation in muscle mass.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    I'm short and pear-shaped and if I worked out the wrong way I'd look stocky even though I'm well within a normal weight range.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    It's true. Taller people have more area, and can hold a lot more weight. Same for men and women. Just look at gymnasts...usually short people. They get bulky pretty readily (imho it's a nice look for both the male and female gymnasts).

I wouldn't call gymnasts "bulky." They are muscular and girls tend to be flat chested and to have a "pigeon breast" look. I assume it's the result of the training as well as the natural physique of girls who tend to be successful at gymnastics. And don't they tend to be short because shorter people have a lower center of gravity, which is an advantage is gymnastics?
  • Fithealthyforlife

I wouldn't call gymnasts "bulky." They are muscular and girls tend to be flat chested and to have a "pigeon breast" look. I assume it's the result of the training as well as the natural physique of girls who tend to be successful at gymnastics. And don't they tend to be short because shorter people have a lower center of gravity, which is an advantage is gymnastics?

At the advanced levels, they do tend to head into what many people would consider bulky.

http://jasonferruggia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/strong-gymnast.jpg

At average height, a guy would have to be roughly 240 lbs at 8% body fat to look like that. Being short does mean less muscle is needed to look a certain way.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Shorter girls have it made. When bulking... and simply in general during training look alot more muscular. Being taller.. I have to put on what feels like twice as much....
    What gives?

This is true for men as well, but on the flip side when us tall, long limbed folks DO add that muscle mass we look better. Shorter folks (guys in particular) tend to get really stocky.

Also, think of when you do a compound lift (squat, deadlift, bench, etc) and how far you have to move that weight compared to a shorter person. In short, you DO have to work harder to add that muscle. You have to move the weight further.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member

HAHA! They are NOT bulky. They are LEAN. They weigh like 110 pounds on average.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    What gives?

This is true for men as well, but on the flip side when us tall, long limbed folks DO add that muscle mass we look better. Shorter folks (guys in particular) tend to get really stocky.

Also, think of when you do a compound lift (squat, deadlift, bench, etc) and how far you have to move that weight compared to a shorter person. In short, you DO have to work harder to add that muscle. You have to move the weight further.

OMG so true!!! I'm about 5'10 and constantly ***** about the squat and parallel. ***** next to me is 5' and schools me! Life is just not fair, lol!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Just so that I am clear, can somebody please give me their definition of what they mean when they said they want to "bulk up".

I have a sneaky suspicion that said term means different things to different people.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Just so that I am clear, can somebody please give me their definition of what they mean when they said they want to "bulk up".

I have a sneaky suspicion that said term means different things to different people.

Gain some amount of mass including muscle. That amount will vary by person. Could be 5 lbs. Could be 50 lbs.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Though when you are tall, you can weigh more and look a lot thinner. When you are short, that fat doesn't have anywhere to go but sitck out =)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Yes!!!!!!!!

*do a victory dance*
  • neandermagnon
    Yes us little short people have a mechanical advantage in some lifts, but there's no way on earth I'm ever going to be able to do a slam-dunk, or achieve anything of note in basketball.... and I suck at running.
    Though when you are tall, you can weigh more and look a lot thinner. When you are short, that fat doesn't have anywhere to go but sitck out =)

This is very true. When I'm lean I look like a neanderthal. When I was obese I looked like a blob, and I wasn't even that obese really... but I still looked like a blob. I'm short and large framed I'm never going to look like a pixie or a waif, no matter what I do. So I'll settle for being short, stocky, muscular and relatively lean, because that's a lot better than being a blob :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    short, stocky people can also withstand the cold better than tall, slender people.

ETA: on average. For a scientific reference for that see Allen's rule.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Yes us little short people have a mechanical advantage in some lifts, but there's no way on earth I'm ever going to be able to do a slam-dunk, or achieve anything of note in basketball.... and I suck at running.

This is very true. When I'm lean I look like a neanderthal. When I was obese I looked like a blob, and I wasn't even that obese really... but I still looked like a blob. I'm short and large framed I'm never going to look like a pixie or a waif, no matter what I do. So I'll settle for being short, stocky, muscular and relatively lean, because that's a lot better than being a blob :drinker:

Ditto! ditto! Put on just a few lbs and it SHOWS. Which also BLOWS, By the way neandermagnon, according to www.23andme.com I am 3% neanderthal from my DNA test.(that's in the high range.) ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    It's debatable. I've seen tall fat people (6' and over) and short fat people. Same with thin tall people and thin short people (think Asians here).
    IMO, it comes down to how one trains and eats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    your complaining about being tall? When tall people are built its so much more impressive.
  • slmakar
    slmakar Posts: 7
    Shorter girls have it made.

I'm 4'11". Come grocery shopping with me, and after half an hour of fetching cereal and whatnot off the top shelves, you will feel better.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Well look at as a trade off. Us tall girls can put on 5 to 10 pounds and no one notices, but if a short girl does that it is very noticeable (of course this is a double edge sword, I have to lose 20 pounds to drop a pants size.....)