“Booty Sprout” reviews?

Has anyone used the equipment called “booty sprout?” It’s an at-home workout, and similar to hip thrusts except it comes with bands. I was wondering if it’s worth the purchase.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited January 2021
    I've never heard of this, but uh...that sure is a name, I guess. I'm a little afraid to Google it at work.

Update: I Googled it anyway. I guess if you wanted to do weighted hip thrusts at home and didn't have space for a full bench and bar, this would be a good way to do it? Not sure if it's worth $170 though.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Had never heard of it. Looked it up, and doesn't look bad at all. If hip thrusts is something you include often in your workouts, it might be well worth the purchase. You can also get a barbell and plates and use a couch or similar to do them. You'd also be able to do more exercises with a barbell; at the very least variations of deadlifts.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Bret Contreras peddles a very similar apparatus. Nothing groundbreaking. For $170 you could get a pretty nice all purpose bench with much more utility; assuming you already have or can get dumbbells to use with it.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Like others have said, you could get something more versatile with that. If you're working out at home, I'd invest in a low bench, barbell with weight plates (bumper plates are typically better for hip thrusts) and a squat pad (or even a folded-up mat would work). You'd be able to do a wider variety of exercises, not just lower body.

I personally do hip thrusts regularly in my routine, but do them at the gym with a low bench and barbell. When I saw the Booty Sprout CONSTANTLY pop up on my news feed, I was curious. I asked how one would progressively overload with this apparatus, and got no response. Like, are you able to increase the resistance of the bands in small amounts like you would when using weights? I wasn't really interested in purchasing (esp at that price), but more so just curious.
  • Jessicaa776
    Jessicaa776 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks everyone! I should’ve clarified that I already have a bar, weights, and bench. I hip thrust regularly but since I’ve been progressively overloading, I’m running out of weight to add at home. Since the booty sprout comes with up to 135 lbs in bands, plus more to purchase for cheaper than weights, I was wondering if it’d be worth it since weights are pricey and hard to find these days.
    I think I’ll stick to adding more weights though!

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Thanks everyone! I should’ve clarified that I already have a bar, weights, and bench. I hip thrust regularly but since I’ve been progressively overloading, I’m running out of weight to add at home. Since the booty sprout comes with up to 135 lbs in bands, plus more to purchase for cheaper than weights, I was wondering if it’d be worth it since weights are pricey and hard to find these days.

If you're not already doing a ton of reps, you can progress by adding more reps too.
  • steveko89

If you're not already doing a ton of reps, you can progress by adding more reps too.

Not to mention paused reps and other tempo manipulations are another way to incorporate progression. Plate pricing will eventually return to pre-covid levels and you’ll be able to get more. Some manufacturers are already having more frequent stock.
  • Jessicaa776
    steveko89 wrote: »

Not to mention paused reps and other tempo manipulations are another way to incorporate progression. Plate pricing will eventually return to pre-covid levels and you’ll be able to get more. Some manufacturers are already having more frequent stock.

Actually since you guys are here...another question— is it effective to hip thrust 3x a week (M W F), or is that not leaving enough time for recovery? Wednesday is my glute isolation day, but I still do hip thrusts three days a week because I find it works both my glutes and quads.

• Speakeasy76

Actually since you guys are here...another question— is it effective to hip thrust 3x a week (M W F), or is that not leaving enough time for recovery? Wednesday is my glute isolation day, but I still do hip thrusts three days a week because I find it works both my glutes and quads.

Hmmm, hip thrusts really shouldn't be targeting the quads when done correctly. You may feel it a bit when going heavy/towards the end of a set, but I wouldn't consider this a front body exercise. Having said that, it depends on what you're doing the other two days and how hard you are pushing if you want to do hip thrusts 3 days a week, and if they are a move you are really trying to improve/get better at. Hip thrusts are actually one of the bigger lower body lifts that are relatively easier to recover from, compared to barbell squats and deadlifts.

I just completed a training phase where I did variations of barbell hip thrusts 3 days a week--low, medium and high reps. They were always at the beginning of my workout. I total body train 3 days a week, but with a bit more lower body/glute exercises those 3 days. Not all of those lower body exercises are big lifts/pushed to near failure, either.

Oh, another way to increase the challenge with your hip thrusts are to add resistance bands around your knees, and even tethered around the bar and your hips.
  • Jessicaa776

Hmmm, hip thrusts really shouldn't be targeting the quads when done correctly. You may feel it a bit when going heavy/towards the end of a set, but I wouldn't consider this a front body exercise. Having said that, it depends on what you're doing the other two days and how hard you are pushing if you want to do hip thrusts 3 days a week, and if they are a move you are really trying to improve/get better at. Hip thrusts are actually one of the bigger lower body lifts that are relatively easier to recover from, compared to barbell squats and deadlifts.

I just completed a training phase where I did variations of barbell hip thrusts 3 days a week--low, medium and high reps. They were always at the beginning of my workout. I total body train 3 days a week, but with a bit more lower body/glute exercises those 3 days. Not all of those lower body exercises are big lifts/pushed to near failure, either.

Oh, another way to increase the challenge with your hip thrusts are to add resistance bands around your knees, and even tethered around the bar and your hips.

Hip thrusts actually can target quads depending on foot placement! Otherwise, yes it does target glutes and hamstrings. But the other information is really good to know regarding recovery. I never know if I’m over-doing it because soreness is not an accurate measurement of fatigue. Thanks!
  • Speakeasy76

Hip thrusts actually can target quads depending on foot placement! Otherwise, yes it does target glutes and hamstrings. But the other information is really good to know regarding recovery. I never know if I’m over-doing it because soreness is not an accurate measurement of fatigue. Thanks!

Hmm, never thought of them that way since how I learned about them was as being one of the best (if not the best) glute-developing exercise out there! I could see how you could target the quads more depending on your leg placement and torso placement on the bench, but I tend to be quad dominant anyway so I usually focus more on glutes than quads.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    I just ordered this and it should be coming in tomorrow, I think. Like OP, I have a bench, bar, weights etc already that I use regularly. I don't know exactly what it is, but I REALLY struggle with hip thrusts using the barbell. It hurts, its jus big and unwieldy...I dont like it. I have a bad knee and sometimes squats are not possible as a result, so I've been doing hip thrusts using a 52.5 lb Bowflex dumbell as a sub. I know it's not a perfect substitution, but it's something and doesn't bother my knee. It comes with 4 35 lb resistance bands with the option to purchase more, including a 70 lb size. so it increase in 35 lb increments and maxxes out at about 400 lbs.

I'm sure it's not for everybody, and yes you can do hip thrusts without it. But after reading the facebook comments and reviews, it seems like a reasonable buy and people are generally happy with it. I'm sure if your goal is to be a fitness model or hip thrust 600 lbs...then it's not for you. But I cant wait to try it. Sure, its a one trick pony - but if its the trick youre looking for, it's not a bad start.
  • steveko89
    Regarding barbell hip thrust comfort, the Mrs. and I haven't ever had any problems using one of those foam wrap-around squat pads (pool noodle-esque) but I saw that abmat recently came out with this thing:
    https://abmat.com/products/hip-thrust-pad
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Just here to update.....I got mine, have been using it regularly for about 2 weeks.

I really like it. If you're fine doing hip thrusts with your bench, barbell etc than it's totally unnecessary. But for me....the height is MUCH more functional than my bench. And while I know that the straps will eventually need to be replaced, they are SO much easier to use than my barbell. Again - yes, I have a barbell and weights. Yes, I could do this with them. But...for real, this is so much more functional for me. I'm using a higher resistance than what I could comfortably manage with the barbell (because of the length, mostly, and the logistics of getting it where it needs to go and keeping my shoulders/upper back on the bench), it folds up really nicely, is pretty sturdy and definitely does the job.

If you're on a budget, then obviously it's an unnecessary piece of equipment. If 400 lbs of resistance is definitely less than what you want...than it's not for you.

But I was previously only able to use a 52.5 lb dumbbell due to the barbell/weight bench issues. And 400 lbs seems lke plenty. So I'm happy with it and it works. It's a one trick pony, sure....but for a one trick pony, it 's pretty solid.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2022
    I have actually looked at it. Seems like a better made version of what Brett Contraras tried to make many years ago. I thought about it for my wife and daughter, but I'd certainly play around with it too.

I usually use heavy KBs (up to 32 Kgs), but my wife and daughter won't KBs -- they are intimidated by them.

I have known of a lot of folks that caused nerve damage by overloading a barbell for hip thrusts on a bench, even with padding, so that can be dangerous if not done right. This seems to have simplified it and made it safer for those that don't lift heavy weights or don't want to invest $1000 in a barbell and plates.