What keeps you motivated?

Options
I've come half way into my weight loss goal. I'm lacking motivation recently. I've been feeling a bit low and unwilling to work out or eat right. What motivates you? When you feel a bit ~blegh~ what helps you stay focused? Youtube videos? Any books? Pictures? Blogs? Let me know! I'm in some need of help lol. :ohwell:

Replies

• GaryMerr
    GaryMerr Posts: 13
    Options
    Nothing like the feeling of drained muscles after a tough workout, a real sense of progress - that's the motivation!
  • douglasnorton
    douglasnorton Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by the goals I have written down. I keep reminding myself why I am doing this and what I want to accomplish. It helps me to keep going that extra mile!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My developing muscles... rawr!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My workout plan is written down, and I have to do it whether I'm motivated or not. I treat it like a second job.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    What keeps me motivated? The scale. When I see my weight go
    over 125 pounds, my mind starts screaming at me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Looking at old photos, seeing how far I've come. My MFP friends. A new workout top or shorts helps too. :smile:
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well - I still have a ton of weight to lose - but I am no stranger to loss. I have lost over 75 pounds slowly before joining MFP. Looking at pictures of when I got married motivates me - because I was at my absolute heaviest (around 380 lbs.) I love to put on the wedding dress and see how much fabric hangs off of me - and how different I look now. I just hit 293 this morning! I am sooo close to being down 100 - and that motivates me. Another motivator is my blood sugar numbers staying where they should while my medicine dosage goes down. I can't wait until I am off the medicine! Won't be long!!
  • 1Shellybe
    1Shellybe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My workout plan is written down, and I have to do it whether I'm motivated or not. I treat it like a second job.

That's exactly what I do every morning when the alarm rings at 5:30... I don't like getting up that early, but it is the only time that is available. I am out the door at 5:55 and walk to meet a friend at 6:00. the first time she texted me to cancel, I was tempted to rollover and go back to sleep BUT I decided that nobody else is more important than ME and that if this was a job and I had to be there at 6:00, I would get out of bed and get there! It worked... I have walked a minimum of 60 minutes every day for 15 1/2 weeks. I now walk farther and faster than I did in May. I added on stairs and more hills... I refuse to quit this "job" ... it is the most important one I have ever had!
  • hollywollyx
    Options
    Thanks for responding guys! The scale is naturally a huge motivator but I've just felt so stale lately. I was debating changing up my diet to a vegan one. I just think I might be getting a bit bored of my diet. I also might look for new places walk. I just don't want to get complacent. I'm 100% one of those people that's like 'I'm half way there? meeeeh might as well stop now'. I really love hearing what keeps others going. I feel a lot less alone now that i've started adding people and talking to you all :).
  • hollywollyx
    Options
    I honestly never thought about looking at is as a 'job'... I might start doing that. I might set up a rewards and punishment chart lol. It sounds like something they do on 'Super nanny' for the naughty kids. But I honestly have the attention span of a fish and I'm full of excuses.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Looking fantastic in tiny clothes.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I've come half way into my weight loss goal. I'm lacking motivation recently. I've been feeling a bit low and unwilling to work out or eat right. What motivates you? When you feel a bit ~blegh~ what helps you stay focused? Youtube videos? Any books? Pictures? Blogs? Let me know! I'm in some need of help lol. :ohwell:

This is a really good question. I think when you've lost some weight, not all of it, but enough to look and feel better, then you're at a danger point where you could just quit and slowly gain it back. This is the place to up your motivation -- sign up for a class where other people will get you going again, for example.

I think I'm at that danger point right now. I've lost 33 pounds, but I should lose another 15 or so, maybe even 20, it's hard to tell. I've started college classes again in addition to my job, so I have less time to exercise, too. I'm thinking about buying a treadmill to use at home for the winter.

It's a trap to act when you feel like it -- to wait until you are in the mood to do what you should do. You have to remember the big picture at all times.

This true story really inspires me whenever I see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I let myself know how long the workout will take, down my coffee protein shake and go hard. The sense of accomplishment after is huge! I like to eat, so the more i work, the more i work, the more i get to eat. Think about why you started and how far you have come.........sometimes all you need is a break from it all but set an end date for your break and thoroughly enjoy it, then jump back in.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with switching up your diet if you're bored - I've done Whole30, a month of raw food, giving up sugar completely, etc. Nothing that I could (or want to) do for the rest of my life, but it does shake things up and get me thinking about new things to eat, and gives me a new/fun challenge. Why not try being vegan for a month just for fun?
  • losing_it_2013
    losing_it_2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Being determined to reach my goal....no matter what! I refuse to not see this through so for me quitting is not an option!
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love the new energy i have... I feel really good...

And just straight pissing ppl off who didn't like me when i was over weight it's killing them to see how good I'm looking now... :laugh: i so love it...
  • hollywollyx
    Options
    I love the new energy i have... I feel really good...

And just straight pissing ppl off who didn't like me when i was over weight it's killing them to see how good I'm looking now... :laugh: i so love it...

That's a good one. I do enjoy the snide comments and back handed compliments. It's always nice to know you're pissing people off lol. :bigsmile:
  • hollywollyx
    Options
    Nothing wrong with switching up your diet if you're bored - I've done Whole30, a month of raw food, giving up sugar completely, etc. Nothing that I could (or want to) do for the rest of my life, but it does shake things up and get me thinking about new things to eat, and gives me a new/fun challenge. Why not try being vegan for a month just for fun?

Yeah! I think I might get all my shopping sorted on Sunday and start Monday. It means I'm not picking up things and having a nibble because you can't have any animal products. So it'll rule out a lot of the naughty things I like to pick at lol.
  • hollywollyx
    Options

This is a really good question. I think when you've lost some weight, not all of it, but enough to look and feel better, then you're at a danger point where you could just quit and slowly gain it back. This is the place to up your motivation -- sign up for a class where other people will get you going again, for example.

I think I'm at that danger point right now. I've lost 33 pounds, but I should lose another 15 or so, maybe even 20, it's hard to tell. I've started college classes again in addition to my job, so I have less time to exercise, too. I'm thinking about buying a treadmill to use at home for the winter.

It's a trap to act when you feel like it -- to wait until you are in the mood to do what you should do. You have to remember the big picture at all times.

This true story really inspires me whenever I see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

I'm definitely at that danger point lol. I WANT ABS. And the other half of me is like 'Meh... Do you REALLY need abs?... You could just lie in bed?... Have a cupcake... Go on...' lol. It's like I'm sabotaging myself! How unfair is that!
    I'm going to watch the link now
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Things that currently motivate me:
    Self respect,
    desire for a longer healthier life,
    my sense of pride won't allow me to give up,
    the great feeling I get every time the scale moves down
    and the romantic answer...
    Inspiring a S.O. to look at you with joy and pride that they've got you!

Happy lifestyle change all!