Pregnant, but not throwing in the towel

Options
Hi. I'm Jen. I'm 34. I live in SLC, UT, USA. I'm currently at my highest weight around 250 lbs. I don't have a weight goal for the year as I am 16 weeks pregnant and shouldn't be looking to loose weight, but I also don't want to wait until I'm done having kids or breastfeeding to regain control of my body. I was probably 165 lbs when I graduated high school, 200 lbs about 9 years later when I got married and 8 years later I'm up to 250lbs. Gradual weight gain over the years and looking to move in the right direction. Learning to love myself in the present and make choices to better my future for myself, my husband, and my 3.5 kids.

Replies

• AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

First off: Congratulations on your little passenger.

Second: No, you don't have to throw in the towel. But apart from "log and eat at/slightly above naintanance" I am not sure what you should be doing right now. As I see it that is already taking control, though, as you are making sure not to gain more than expected here.

You can use this time to just start getting a good idea about what you are eating and incorporating the best choices you are able to (considering budget, time, and the stress of being a mum of three who is also pregnant.) - That will mean you are well prepared when you actually start loosing.
  • ozziemojv
    ozziemojv Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi Jen, I’m 33 and 20 weeks pregnant in California. My doctor is concerned about the pace of my weight gain at this point, so I downloaded this app to make sure I am keeping accountable on how many calories I’m consuming. Both my doctor and my nurse practitioner told me I need to get a handle on it. So, here I am. I’m with ya sister!

My plan is to make sure I’m keeping accountable on the number of calories I’m supposed to be eating, staying active, and aim to slow down this pace of weight gain. From what I understand, baby will get what baby needs. So, as long as I am taking in the recommended calories/nutrients, any amount that is below whatever I was consuming, will be taken from me and not baby. So, that’s the current plan: 2,300 calories of healthy food and dog walks. :smile:

All that to say: let’s stay accountable! For the health of our babies and our own! :smile:
  • AlannaWulf194
    AlannaWulf194 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I gained 25 pounds (haven’t lost it yet but that’s another story...). Make sure you keep track of calories and eat between 200-500 extra a day, eating closer to the 500 towards the end of pregnancy. Make sure if you are breastfeeding that you are still keep that small additional above your maintenance so you don’t have issues with your milk supply. Good luck!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I was 32/33 when I became pregnant and had my daughter. I was 300 pounds and I was of course high risk because of it. I didn't know about MFP at that time, I agree to track your calorie intake but also exercise. Walking workouts are great. I did walk away the pounds workouts throughout my pregnancy and I felt good my whole pregnancy and I only gained 20 lbs. Congrats and good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I would consult with your doctor for any diet/exercise advice while pregnant.
  • RockstarRae45
    RockstarRae45 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen, I'm Rachel from Minnesota, US. I was really thin until college. In my 20s, 130s was my new normal but heavy for my normal. In 30s, I got up to 155 and started MFP in April 2020. Gradually got better habits and hit my 135-140 lb maintenance range in Sept 2020. I found out in Dec that I'm pregnant with my first and am recommended to gain 15-25lbs. Currently 34 yrs old, 13 weeks along and on track with first trimester goal of gaining about 3 lbs. Came back on here to check for a pregnancy encouragement string though so as cravings increase, I can stay on track and focus on healthy foods. I've heard it can get hard.

Are you wanting maybe a weekly check in like sharing non-scale ups and downs for the week and a target gain/maintain amount?