Weight loss journey 2021

Options
Hey MFP members! I’m turning 35 this weekend and I’m the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I have tried for the last two months to lose weight by exercise alone but I did not obtain the results that I desired. My goal is to lose 35 pounds. I’m following a macro based diet (50/30/20). Would love friends and open to any advice. I know I can not do this journey on my own. Thanks

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the way to go. All the best 👊
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for health, fitness and strength (even enjoyment hopefully!) but it isn't going to be effective as your main weight loss focus.

Just some fun maths.....
    35lbs of fat = 122,500 calories
    I can comfortably burn 500 cals an hour with moderate paced cycling so that would be 245 hours of cycling, about 205 hours if I'm consistently pushing the pace along.

Possible to create that deficit with exercise while eating at maintenance calories? Yes.
    Likely? Hmmmm.
    You would still need to be cautious about your food intake. What often happens with increased exercise is increased hunger of course.

You will probably have more success if you cut 500 cals off your food intake and regarded exercise as a wonderful long term habit, but not as a weight loss tool. Which fortunately is exactly how MyFitnessPal is designed to be used.