Plateau - need advice!!

Options
Need help! I have lost 25 pounds since August of 2012, but I am now really struggling with losing my last 15 pounds. I have only lost 5 pounds in the last 8 months and the scale is not budging for me!! I run 3 miles, 3 times a week, strength train for 30 minutes, 2 times per week, and follow WW and MFP (calorie logging), yet I can't lose any more weight!! I am looking for any tips for anyone that has experienced this same thing. Help please....:flowerforyou:

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? Any change in how clothes fit? Comparison photos?

The scale doesn't always tell the whole story, especially as you get closer to goal. Take measurements and photos, if you're not already.

Also, open your diary - much easier to give advice with more info. :smile:
  • Numbah_5x
    Options
    I feel ya. In the same boat.

Maybe you're over training for the amount of calories you're eating and your body is getting more efficient (some folks call that starvation mode).

Once I started working out regularly and increasing my cardio to min of 3x per week, I plateaued for almost 2 months and didn't lose a pound. My bust shrank though. Although it didn't show on the scale, people said I looked smaller. That's when I realized that I probably gained muscle. After I increased my diet by about 200 calories, I lost 3 lbs.

Teresa
  • pinky7746
    pinky7746 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I unlocked my diary, although I've only been using MFP for a few weeks. I've been following the WW old points system since August 2012, but I thought maybe that wasn't working for me anymore and therefore started using MFP.

I have not been taking measurements, but my clothes seem to be fitting better. I am just seeing such slow progress with these last 15 pounds and I really notice it in my arms and ab area.
  • pinky7746
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! It really helps to hear from other people going through the same. It is so hard to see the scale stay the same each week, especially when I think I'm doing everything right.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well, you eat a metric f*ckton of carbs and not enough protein. Fixing this might not help you lose weight, but you should do it anyway. 1g protein for every 1kg bodyweight to maintain muscle mass.
  • Supergirl2015
    Supergirl2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look at your nutrition and make changes there. Ie are u always over on sugar , under on protein? U need to make adjustments in eating habits to eat more protein less sugar. Are u accurately measuring your foods or guesstimating ?? Also u may need to change up your exercise by adjusting intensity, resistance, time, or choice of exercises- don't get comfortable in your exercise routine.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Your sugar and carbs are very high with little nutritional benefit. Your protein is way too low. Maybe manually adjusting your macros will revamp your "diet."

If you are vegetarian or vegan, you many need to supplement your protein intake with a protein drink or smoothie, especially if you are lifting weights.

Sometimes we need to change our way of eating and our workouts to see what is best for our bodies. Good luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I recorded a pound lost this past Monday. The last time I recorded a loss was the 8th of May. That was a plateau. :D

I only have 8 more pounds. Since I am eating this way for life, I am not in a hurry. The weight will come off when my body is ready to let go of it.

I do find that lowering carb intake and upping protein does help though.
  • pinky7746
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will increase my protein for sure. I eat mostly veggies and fruit, very little meat, so I will start with some protein shakes.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I still have more than just a few pounds to go, but after doing some research, changing my macros to 30/30/40 for carbs/protein/fat works well for me. Your sodium looks really good, under 1500/day. I did read in another post, to keep the carbs & sugars under 200 for the day.
  • MattBenz
    MattBenz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I've plateaued I've had the best luck breaking it by eating about 200 extra calories for 3-4 days then backing off to normal. It has worked every time for me. I'll loose a lot shortly after that.