First exercise for some years.

Options
I have recently come back to MFP to try again. So yesterday I tried my first exercise for some years, I am 72 and am clinically obese. I also suffer from severe Sciatica and am in a lot of pain. My doctor wants me to move so I did. I attempted to walk (shuffle) about a distance of .85 of a mile. So I walked a bit, then stopped to lean on my walking pole to catch my breath and ease my back. The first time I stopped a nice couple came up to check I was OK, then again when I stopped a lady and her dog asked me if I was fine. This was all very nice. However when a passing car screeched to a halt in a cloud of brake smoke and the driver got out to help me I thought it may be time to give up and go home. I will try again tomorrow.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Do you have a garden, or do you live in an apartment? You might try doing laps in the garden, or even around your apartment if you have enough room (for example dining room table) in the beginning until you build up enough stamina for walks around the neighborhood without attracting attention, if it bothers you :smile:

You will improve your fitness level, so keep it up! Walking is a great way to start exercising :smile:
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Good for you for pushing thru today. I am glad that you live near so many kind folks willing to help!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What a lot of nice caring people there are in Wrexham!!

Well done for pushing yourself, you have made a start and your fitness will improve.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting out and walking. It will get easier with time and practice. You will look back and be amazed and proud at how far you have come.