I'm back. Again.. lol

Well I'm no stranger to the "covid weight gain"... I've gained 30 lbs since March. I don't drive and used to walk everywhere, now I can't walk 1/2 mile without having to rest for 30-60 min. I NEED to lose weight and feel better.

I was updating my profile with current weight and I want to change my daily caloric goal. I know I can change it manally but when I first signed up the app asked me for my weight, height etc, told me my BMR and suggested my daily calorie goal. I want the app to do that again. My bmr back then was 1400+ and the calorie goal was set at 1200. Now my BMR is over 1800. I would like to see what MFP suggests for daily calorie goal. I was thinking of 1500 which is prob. way more than I need but I'm loving food right now and don't want to starve myself. lol.

Anyone know how to get the app/website to suggest the daily calorie goat when inputting your weight/height info?

My goal is to lose 50lbs... I lost 33 back in 2012.......fingers crossed!!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    On the browser version go from your home page to the Goals tab and then follow the View Guided Setup link.
    It will calculate your BMR from the stats you enter, multiply it by your chosen activity setting and then you get to choose your rate of loss.

That rate of loss selected has a huge impact on the daily base calories you get.

If you want to go for 1500 then you can just set that manually.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Ok I see. the reason it didn't change because the app wants to make it 1200 calories.
    I manually changed it to 1500 and when I did the guided set up, it was changed to 1200. It was already 1200 , that's why I didn't see it change.
    I see what you're saying about caloric intake being related to activity. I have become sedentary (and why I've gained 30lbs lol) but I don't want to go from eating well over 2000 calories a day down to 1200. I starve to death lol. (not really but you kwim). so I'll drop it to 1500 then down to 1200. If I walk 3-4 times a week that will help too. 1500 won't be my EXACT goal and I will eat less than that most days but I want 1500 to be the max. My BMR is currently 1800 so I'm still good.
    Thanks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    My guess is that the rate of weight loss you are selecting is causing you to hit the minimum 1200 that MyFitnessPal won't go below.
    If you experiment by setting to "maintain current weight" you will see the number MFP estimates as your calorie needs for a day with no exercise.
    Selecting to lose 1lb/week would knock 500 cals off that weight maintenance number.
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    Hi! I'm back again too! I turned 50 last year and b/t Oct and May had put on 30 lbs. Worked really hard, IF and low carb and lost about 25 of it. Then injured hip and subsequently have a torn labrum. Surgery soon - hip replacement. But have gained again in December. I'm determined to pick up all my better habits -water and logging every bite. I can still hobble - took dog out this morning for about 2.5 miles. Really frustrated with myself and know I have to keep it in check, especially while recovering from surgery. I'm glad to have partners in the "back in the saddle" thread. :smile:
  • MandyCMN
    MandyCMN Posts: 17 Member
    I like a set amount also, therefore I’ve set mines at 1600 per day. However I’m not counting every vegetable I eat unless potatoes. So realistically I will eating over 1600 per day. That’s the way I want to work and it’s not probably for everyone but it’s a good starting point for me.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    I'm back too. After losing 80lbs several years ago using MFP, I gained most of it back by doing everything I knew I wasn't supposed to do. I stopped logging. BIG mistake. I stopped exercising. BIG mistake. I got complacent. BIG mistake. Thankfully, I'm at it again, and I am more determined than other. The pandemic won't stop me. The gym closures won't stop me. Nothing will stop me. I'm fired up!!
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 90 Member
    edited January 2021
    I stopped logging. BIG mistake. I stopped exercising. BIG mistake. I got complacent. BIG mistake.

This! I lost about 30lb in 2015 with MFP, got down to my goal weight, maintained for a while then deleted my account when *that fitness brand* took over... I stopped logging, got complacent, gained some of it back - but the final straw was when the venue that helped me balance my CICO closed back in March.

Now back, losing steadily again, and I have confidence that MFP works - but this time round, I intend to do a better job of maintaining!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    @AmunahSki I too intend to do a better job maintaining. We've got this!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    You can calculate you calorie intake suggestion yourself.
    sijomial wrote: »
    On the browser version go from your home page to the Goals tab and then follow the View Guided Setup link.
    It will calculate your BMR from the stats you enter, multiply it by your chosen activity setting and then you get to choose your rate of loss.

About to suggest this. The formulas are online as well.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 90 Member
    Checking in...

Hubby has been helpful and patient over the last couple of weeks, while I get all of the meals he cooks for us into MFP as recipes. He watches the process of weighing ingredients, scanning items, and measuring liquids. He saves empty packets, jars and tins for me. He is now using teaspoons and tablespoons (instead of eyeballing), and we plan meals in advance so I can pre-log my day (or even couple of days, which helps to even out the higher carb/fat days with lower ones to balance things out).

So I can’t fathom why it took the full 15 days to understand that any accompanying ‘salads’ should not be doused with olive oil and balsamic vinegar OR contain avocado OR feta cheese UNLESS these items are measured BEFORE he adds them!

“But it’s just a salad - salad isn’t fattening, is it?”

He isn’t deliberately trying to sabotage, I just think there’s a lifetime of ‘woo’ I need to undo, but we’re making progress... today I got my first all-ingredients-weighed, non-dressed, no-cheese side salad! <3