planning on ARMY

Options
Hey guys, im planning on enlisting in the army as soon as I physically can. does anyone have any advice, workouts, diets that can help me. I would like to enlist on my 22nd birthday (may 2nd), but I need to lose 115 lbs.

seriously anything will help.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The physical fitness standards are well publicized. Practice early, practice often.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blfitfem17to21.htm

In the old days, if you couldn't do a bare minimum pushups (was 13 for men, at the time), you were put in a "pre-basic" FTU (Fitness Training Unit) and rechecked every few days until you could meet the minimum standard. I'm not sure if it's still done that way. If you didn't make minimum weight on induction (the standard has tightened up a *lot*) you wouldn't even be shipped to basic training, you'd be sent home with a new induction date.

Realistically, that's a hell of a lot of weight to lose in time. It can be done, for sure, but it needs to start now, and it'll take 9 months of concentrated focus and discipline. I would recommend a "Couch to 5k" running program and twice a week of 5x5 type full-body lifting. And an hour long walk, five times a week. Plus the appropriate caloric deficit, of course.

Good luck!
  • kelleyhelm1
    kelleyhelm1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    that all sounds great.
    what is a 5x5 body lifting things.

ps i have already started it. i have already lost 30 pounds in the last month, i just have a lot more work to do and im really excited for it. thanks.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're already rocking it - good stuff!

Here's a link....

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Basically, heavy lifting with free weights, doing a small number of full-body exercises. Deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press, and rows. Dead simple, and effective, especially for folks starting out.

There are millions of variations...don't need to download or buy anything, there's enough on that one page to guide you, and a huge community of folks who lift like this if you have more questions.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You mean next may? Like 9 months from now? 115 pounds is an aggressive goal for that time period. My first suggestion is that you reevaluate your time frame. Second is simple. Full body lifting routine along with cardio while eating in a large (800 or so) calorie deficit.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You mean next may? Like 9 months from now? 115 pounds is an aggressive goal for that time period. My first suggestion is that you reevaluate your time frame. Second is simple. Full body lifting routine along with cardio while eating in a large (800 or so) calorie deficit.

Yeah, definitely seriously evaluate your goals. 115lbs in 9 months is what, 12-13lbs a month? The most I'd want to safely lose weight is about 8lbs a month. You're talking 50% more than that, gonna be very hard or basically impossible to maintain that for so long. Not to mention extremely unhealthy and possibly dangerous. I just did the math and that's a 1600 calorie deficit every day for the next 9 months. That's just plain stupid.

Maybe look to enlist on the birthday after that? That's at least somewhat reasonable. 115lbs in 21 months is reasonable. That would require a 650 calorie deficit per day for the next 21 months. That's at least attainable without dying in the process.

For reference it's taken me 28 months to lose 90lbs. Weight loss takes a long long time. Definitely re-evaluate your goals or you'll be setting yourself up for failure.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    that all sounds great.
    what is a 5x5 body lifting things.

ps i have already started it. i have already lost 30 pounds in the last month, i just have a lot more work to do and im really excited for it. thanks.

Congratulations on a heck of a weight loss for one month. Be aware that as you get closer to your goal, your rate of weight loss will slow down. Don't be discouraged if things take longer than you want them to.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Thanks for your service! :)
    I have no clue about these types of things for advice, but I hope you get tons of respect, and recognition from this!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely seriously evaluate your goals. 115lbs in 9 months is what, 12-13lbs a month? The most I'd want to safely lose weight is about 8lbs a month. You're talking 50% more than that, gonna be very hard or basically impossible to maintain that for so long. Not to mention extremely unhealthy and possibly dangerous. I just did the math and that's a 1600 calorie deficit every day for the next 9 months. That's just plain stupid.

Maybe look to enlist on the birthday after that? That's at least somewhat reasonable. 115lbs in 21 months is reasonable. That would require a 650 calorie deficit per day for the next 21 months. That's at least attainable without dying in the process.

For reference it's taken me 28 months to lose 90lbs. Weight loss takes a long long time. Definitely re-evaluate your goals or you'll be setting yourself up for failure.

This.
    If you starve yourself for nine months, you're going to be in terrible shape when you enlist, even if you do meet the weight requirement.
    I agree with the above poster: change your goal enlistment date to your 23rd birthday. Eat at a ~650 calorie deficit. Get active. Lift heavy. Walk. Run. Find a sport you enjoy and play it. Do workout videos at home if that's your thing. And above all: be patient.
  • kelerlee33
    Options
    I have a friend that lost 145 in nine month using the body by vi shake I would not recommend them though. to much soy and soy is not good for you. AS a former personal trainer that specializes in people in you position if you can't afford a gym start at home with jumping jacks walking and turn that in to running, push up start against a wall if you can't do push up then a chair then the floor, body weight squats and sit up that is what you will be doing in basic. If you lift remember that the more muscle you build the more fat you will burn later and I would start with high rep low weight for six weeks to get your muscles trained in proper form always use proper for most important thing. If you can not use good form lower the weight or your likely to hurt your self. then six weeks of heavy lifting then six wees of bodyweight training. but I mainly encourage high rep body weight along the whole way in order to be able to handle basic
  • kelerlee33
    Options
    I also Know somebody that watched sick, fat and almost dead and is convinced they need to do a juice fast apparently the two guys in the documentary lost like 400lb combined in just a short time. I say it is one thing to replace on meal with jucie and juice snacks but not all meals for 2 months
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Lots of running, eventually weighted brisk walks in boots -don't do that right away though and certainly not running and do not use loads of weight at first... 5kg maybe.

Pushups, situps (don't bother with crunches!) more pushups, inclined pushups, declined pushups, unstable surface pushups... think hands and feet on piled up pillows/cushions, planks, more pushups, more running. Longer distance running, more pushups!
  • dmvarner
    dmvarner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do not know a fitness routine since I also am new on my journey to be healthy, but I wanted to add just a simple good luck and what a great goal/reason to get fit!!
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision! Boot camp was a lot of fun for me, and if you can get yourself in shape, then it can be for you too! Your weight-loss goal is pretty hefty, but if you are dedicated to it, work out a lot and eat healthy, I think it can be done. Remember that you will loose more in the beginning than you will once you get closer to your goal. Don't be upset if you push hard and you have to move your contract date. The Army will still be there, I promise (and it might be good to celebrate your birthday with friends & family as a farewell to life as you know it, because boot-camp is no joke, psychologically.

I totally agree with a combination of weights and cardio. Cardio every day, start with walking and move your way up. If you aren't ready to jog, but walking is getting easy, add weights to your ankles or wrists. Turn on some music that really gets you jazzed so you naturally increase your pace. Aim for an hour+ or 5 miles to start, per day.

Body weight exercises a couple times per day... pushups, sit-ups, bicycles, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, burpees. When they get easy, add the weights.

ALSO, lift heavy... Start easy and make sure you have good form. The heavier you lift, the more muscle you'll build and the more fat you'll burn at rest. I'd lift a few times per week. Maybe start off every other day and increase it as you can handle it.

Take one rest day per week - more if you train REALLY hard and need it. If you are dragging and can't FORCE yourself to push during your workout, and you are eating right and sleeping right, it's time for a rest day.

I'd LOVE to see you meet this goal. Feel free to add me or ask anything!
    Best wishes!
    Billie
  • WineFoodPhoto
    WineFoodPhoto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Take some more time and let your body adjust to working out and getting strong. Basic training is really tough on you physically, even if you lose all that weight you likely won't be in the kind of shape you need to be in to make it through. If you take the time and make sure you're really strong and healthy, you'll be fine.
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My sister and I tried to join the air force, but they wouldn't take me and the recruiter at our local office told my sister "the air force doesn't take fat girls" My sister was not even that big at the time, she had a little extra around her belly and we later found out that the reason she was having trouble losing the last couple of pounds is because she has hypothyroidism. So that is just my back story a bit. We were so excited to sign up, we got gym memberships and trained and ran. The basics are important, push up, sit up, running! I would definitely look into a running program. At the time, we were told that you get an extra stripe thing for your uniform before everyone else for being physically fit, so I would ask about this and see if they still do stuff like that as it might give you some goals to go after. Once you get the basics down, everything else they have you do should not be that difficult to pick up on as you will already have some strength going for you. Don't be afraid to call them either, a couple younger friends of mine got some I don't know what you would call it, extra tutoring or mentoring from the recruiters because they want people to sign up now due to everything going on in the world now. Back when I was in my teens, they were not rushing to sign people which is probably why my sister and I never made it anywhere.

Anyways, good luck with everything! That was 10 years ago for me and my life took a different road, but I definitely am grateful for all those that sign up to be in the military. It will be an adventure!
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    As a former Army medic, my advise is, don't do it at all...
    Unless fighting for wall street is your bag...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

good on ya.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options

good on ya.

LOL probably got discharged other than honorable and holds a grudge. Theres nothing wrong with the military. It was a great way for me to go. Make sure you get a job you can use on the outside. I I was Infantry and ordinance and ended up a respiratory therapist. The Army helped pay for my school which was great because its getting too damn expensive. Go for it. Good luck
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

BCD maybe?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I should get some popcorn, this is about to get hilarious.