Anyone else struggling with depression along with trying to lose weight?

Options
How do you deal with it? Any strategies and methods to stay focused on losing weight? It's really hard for me to do beyond just the basic things required of me. I have started watching my food intake and grab any slight spark of self- motivation to go out and walk. I walk at night so that no one can see me. ( I know I'm weird that way) because I love the night time and the fact that I am out, without anyone judging me and I somehow feel safe that way. I can be super friendly but only my closest friend know I'm struggling inside.

Anyone else know what I mean?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I used to walk at night.

Depression is hard to give advice on, simply because it can be so different for each person. For me, probably June - November, I was barely functional. I did what I HAD to do and nothing more. THat meant, I turned out our livestock in the mornings, fed and watered them, washed and dried laundry (didn't put it away), and made dinner. That was literally ALL I could manage. It had been a really long time since I had been that bad.

Since early December, I've felt better, for the most part. And am thankful for it. The house is staying clean, I have energy to workout, I'm more interested in doing things I enjoy, I care more about what I'm eating, etc.

Medications don't seem to have much effect for me. Been on several, and all were like I was taking candy. Therapy I think helps more, if for no other reason that I can get some of these thoughts and feelings out of my head.

All you can do is all you can do, you know?

• ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes....I am tapering off my antidepressant and am suffering...as many coping mechanisms as you can find and just keep getting back up when you get knocked down....that is all you can do...❤️❤️❤️
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I used to walk at night.

Depression is hard to give advice on, simply because it can be so different for each person. For me, probably June - November, I was barely functional. I did what I HAD to do and nothing more. THat meant, I turned out our livestock in the mornings, fed and watered them, washed and dried laundry (didn't put it away), and made dinner. That was literally ALL I could manage. It had been a really long time since I had been that bad.

Since early December, I've felt better, for the most part. And am thankful for it. The house is staying clean, I have energy to workout, I'm more interested in doing things I enjoy, I care more about what I'm eating, etc.

Medications don't seem to have much effect for me. Been on several, and all were like I was taking candy. Therapy I think helps more, if for no other reason that I can get some of these thoughts and feelings out of my head.

That's me some days , barely functional and just doing the bare minimum. ( I dont fold laundry either LOL! ) I lost a lot of weight a few years ago but circumstantial depression along with personal issues brought depression down hard on me and it was debilitating!
    I know I will probably feel better once I shed some of this weight, but pushing myself on most days feels like a huge rock on my shoulders.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    Options
    Yes....I am tapering off my antidepressant and am suffering...as many coping mechanisms as you can find and just keep getting back up when you get knocked down....that is all you can do...❤️❤️❤️

I feel for you... what are some coping mechs that have worked for you?
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm grieving so yes on and off. It's hard.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    Options
    I'm grieving so yes on and off. It's hard.

I'm so sorry for your loss <3:'( I hope your heart finds comfort soon
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I used to walk at night.

That's me some days , barely functional and just doing the bare minimum. ( I dont fold laundry either LOL! ) I lost a lot of weight a few years ago but circumstantial depression along with personal issues brought depression down hard on me and it was debilitating!
    I know I will probably feel better once I shed some of this weight, but pushing myself on most days feels like a huge rock on my shoulders.

yesterday... for the FIRST TIME IN MONTHS I went through all the PILES of clothes in my room. washed if needed it, sorted, folded.

it felt good :)

I have a lot of clothes that don't fit anymore. they went in a bin in the guest room for me to check back with 20 pounds from now LOL
  • SunnyBunBun79
    Options
    I used to walk at night.

yesterday... for the FIRST TIME IN MONTHS I went through all the PILES of clothes in my room. washed if needed it, sorted, folded.

it felt good :)

I have a lot of clothes that don't fit anymore. they went in a bin in the guest room for me to check back with 20 pounds from now LOL

The box of Narnia clothes!! Lol that's what I call mine. I have beautiful Indian clothes that I cant fit into anymore but Ive saved them for when my daughter can wear them...or I lose weight...whichever comes first :D