Best app to use with external heart rate monitor

I have a garmin watch and external heart rate monitor that don’t play nice together. Are their any apps that will use an external heart rate monitor (not Apple Watch) that will estimate calories burned for an exercise? It would also be great if that app and MFP worked together

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    IDK what specific devices you're using, but many garmin devices pair easily with either a Garmin chest strap, Wahoo chest strap or other bluetooth HR monitor. The data from my Garmin is captured in Garmin connect and automatically uploaded to Training Peaks (my training analytics app) and MyFitness Pal. Has worked great for years.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    IDK what specific devices you're using, but many garmin devices pair easily with either a Garmin chest strap, Wahoo chest strap or other bluetooth HR monitor. The data from my Garmin is captured in Garmin connect and automatically uploaded to Training Peaks (my training analytics app) and MyFitness Pal. Has worked great for years.
    I have an approach s60 gold watch. It has all the exercise “apps” but doesn’t use a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burned.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I'm not familiar with the approach s60 gold from garmin, but a quick search suggests that it is a golf focused device. Is that correct? I can tell you that many of Garmin's endurance watches for running, triathlon, etc, pair extremely well with a chest strap HR Monitor. I'm talking about the forerunner and fenix series devices. These devices upload to the Garmin Connect app and sync well with MFP and other training apps.

Of course, the primary purpose for a HR monitor in endurance training (running, cycling, triathlon, etc.) is to set and use HR to define "training zones" for athletes to build cardio fitness, as opposed to estimating calorie expenditure.

Good luck.