Streeeesssssssssss!

Options
Terrible week at work, compounded with all the other awful “stuff” the whole world is trying to contend with at the moment.

Desperately want to reach for comfort to soothe myself into the weekend with red wine, double portions of dinner and ice cream.

What should I do resist this? And the first person to say “go for a walk” or “have a bubble bath” gets a smack round the head!
😝

X

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Maybe pick one, wine OR seconds OR ice cream? Or are you the sort of person that if you give yourself an inch, you'll take a mile? No shame if that's the case, sometimes it be like that.

What if you went for a walk to get ice cream, or enjoyed a glass of wine in your bubble bath?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Don't know about a walk...but exercise does help to relieve my stress...it also allows me more latitude to have some wine or beer or whatever...
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options

What if you went for a walk to get ice cream, or enjoyed a glass of wine in your bubble bath?

Like.

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Have something small that you enjoy. I'll take the smack but the walk might help
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    With most stress, it's mental. Here's the thing: 90% of the stuff you tend to worry about never happen. The other 10% you couldn't have done anything about anyway. I not saying don't care, just realize putting too much emphasis on things that may never happen is what people worry about the most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Don't know about a walk...but exercise does help to relieve my stress...it also allows me more latitude to have some wine or beer or whatever...

Of course you’re right. Just don’t have the strength for good logic just now.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Have something small that you enjoy. I'll take the smack but the walk might help

I give you a loving tap around the head for giving enough of a damn to reply. Thank you!
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    With most stress, it's mental. Here's the thing: 90% of the stuff you tend to worry about never happen. The other 10% you couldn't have done anything about anyway. I not saying don't care, just realize putting too much emphasis on things that may never happen is what people worry about the most.

I disagree with you ENTIRELY!!!! I reckon it is around 97% mental.
    😘

But seriously, that was a timely reminder - THANK YOU! It’s amazing how, by giving those naughty emotions a bit of time to calm down (e.g. by crying for help on MFP), your perspective returns and your “quick-fix” cravings subside.

Thanks guys. 🙏🏼

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Love yourself.
    Choose your comfort.
    Begin again tomorrow.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    Options
    Thanks @rosebarnalice. I managed to stave off yesterday’s urges, but your words will help in times I can’t.
  • HungryTraveler
    HungryTraveler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Terrible week at work, compounded with all the other awful “stuff” the whole world is trying to contend with at the moment.

Desperately want to reach for comfort to soothe myself into the weekend with red wine, double portions of dinner and ice cream.

What should I do resist this? And the first person to say “go for a walk” or “have a bubble bath” gets a smack round the head!
    😝

X

Ohh girl I feel you! And I am definitely one of those ''give myself an inch, take a mile'' people that someone mentioned earlier. What I try to do is some little self care things like paint my nails or have a face mask. Finding ways to indulge without the calories. Other times I just go for the double portions and wine and ice cream, accept the off day and move on. The world is going to *kitten*, we need to cut ourselves some slack (just not all of it).
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    Options
    Thanks @HungryTraveler - and if your name is anything to go by and you love (like me) to travel, then you’re probably feeling doubly miserable at the moment.

Strength to you. And where that fails - I hope the wine and ice cream bring you joy! Hang on in there. Our traveling days WILL return!

X
  • lover_of_all_things_food
    Options
    I am always sneaking in that double portion and feel awful about it. Maybe try to trick yourself, if I'm doing a batch meal I'll take a very small portion, then go for "seconds" and so I feel I'm having 2 meals but in reality that's a perfectly normal amount of food.
    Also drink a glass of water/squash/tea before and after a meal, or if you feel hungry.
    I also if I'm in need of TLC from Ben and Jerry I'll scoop out half of what I'd have (do not I repeat DO NOT eat from the tub it's so dangerous) then I'd add a less calorific yoghurt, or fruit (banana is a fav) to it so I'm enjoying the ice cream, having the portion size I want but not all of that is ice cream so it's healthier for you

Good luck in your journey!
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    THINGS I DID TO SOLVE THIS..
    1.Meal Prep for the week, look at that day as any other day(maby plan a nice add-on)
    2. Own it, plan for it, fast entire day and/or eat minimal, then have it!! Always Count the calories, so you know what your dealing with
    3. Abstain all together from it(removes mostly physical desire/ craving for it.)
    Bottom line..we are only human and its very tough times..no need keep white knuckling it and failing w/ food. Simply plan it have it, or don't. And always count calories on it.