Muscle atrophy in arms / coupled with bad cellulite - older lady needs help.

Options
I'm 62 about 15 lbs overweight but I have noticed my arms look like patchwork quilts in the last year. The muscle hangs too. I have become so embarrassed by the look I do not want to see them uncovered. I do not have a gym near me. I have free weights and flexi- bands but I am not seeing any difference. Can anyone give me some help without confusing me with the types of muscles / target / reps. Just simple lay-man terms for home use that will give results and how long each day or every other day. Is it genetic can it be turned around? Would a kettle ball do more?
Thank you

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have a look at hasfit on YouTube they have a good beginner work out that uses little equipment but is effective and simple for a beginner.

Nerdfitness is a good website that also does a good beginners bodyweight workout.

Both these programmes are whole body, have few moves, and are easy to follow.
    No leaping about or loud music.

They both have you doing 3 sets of the exercises but if you are just starting out, like I was, start with doing one set as best you can, then add another set when you are ready, until you are doing all three sets.

If an exercise is a challenge, ie pushups, do them against the wall to begin with and work your way to the ground over a few months using countertops, chairs, stairs etc.

Don’t expect to be able to do the routine right away, work your way up to completing the routine and once it is no longer a challenge move onto something else.

Both the programmes are good x3 a week on alternate days.

Cheers, h.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Can be a bit trickier as we get closer to advanced age, but resistance training reverses sarcopenia in more advanced age individuals.

What free weights including kettle bell do you have available?

As we grow older we are not as efficient of utiluzing protien. So more than likely you will need more and also better quality.
  • LDemi333
    LDemi333 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your time. I do not have a kettle ball, I thought I would ask as to whether it was worth purchasing. They seem cumbersome to me and you need to bend the whole back to take the whole weight as opposed to one arm with a weight and balancing the back with the other. Free weights - they came as a set, I have all sizes but I use 4kg (20 curls up, 20 back swings - slow and careful- 20 lifts from the floor with other leg and arm for balance on the bed x 4 a week) I will use the wall for push ups too now.
    I will check out hasfit on youtube, try alternate days, and start slow as suggested. Thank you so much for your help. There must be a way to at least halt the degeneration? I am hoping to make the arms look a little better. I try to eat protein with every dinner and I do eat plenty of fruits and veg. I never expected this degeneration to be so swift.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    There is a way to slow degeneration and build muscle, but it is slow.

I started with the 2 programmes l mentioned above (hasfit & Nerdfitness) 10 year ago when I was in my late 50’s. I also introduced Pilates, yoga, Aquafit, Zumba, and belly dancing on my alternate days when I was ready.

It probably took me a couple of years mixing and matching those routines before I felt I wanted to try lifting heavier weights.
    Now, I follow a lifting programme. I progress slowly, but it keeps my relatively strong (muscle & bone).
    The other programmes are good for flexibility and CV health.

I also, like cheiflrg mentioned above, pay attention to my protein intake aiming for 80-100g a day split between 3 meals.

Some research I read when I was starting out as a post menopausal woman suggested we benefit more when we 25-35g per meal rather than 5g here, 10g there. I have stuck to that and find it works for me.

Don’t expect to move mountains right away. Take it slow, but challenge yourself. (rushing only causes fatigue and injuries)

Work on fulfilling your nutritional goals over time also.

Most of all make changes that you can live with for life.

For me that is 60-90 min of purposeful movement a day, meeting my nutritional goals, having fun, eating cake, and drinking gin and tonic.

Cheers, h.

Edit to add.
    If you are working on losing those 15 lbs, take it slow. 0.5 or slightly more per week. Losing any faster, with so little to lose, will not help your muscle and bone health.
    Oh, and eat back your exercise cals. h :).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    LDemi333 wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you for your time. I do not have a kettle ball, I thought I would ask as to whether it was worth purchasing. They seem cumbersome to me and you need to bend the whole back to take the whole weight as opposed to one arm with a weight and balancing the back with the other. Free weights - they came as a set, I have all sizes but I use 4kg (20 curls up, 20 back swings - slow and careful- 20 lifts from the floor with other leg and arm for balance on the bed x 4 a week) I will use the wall for push ups too now.
    I will check out hasfit on youtube, try alternate days, and start slow as suggested. Thank you so much for your help. There must be a way to at least halt the degeneration? I am hoping to make the arms look a little better. I try to eat protein with every dinner and I do eat plenty of fruits and veg. I never expected this degeneration to be so swift.

I'm not big on kettle bells as a lifter or trainer, but for some people it's more of what they will adhere to which is the goal.

I see you mention they are a set. Can you please give detailed info on what this set consists of? It will help knowing what we can utilize to achieve your goal.
  • LDemi333
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your time. Your posts are very helpful. My weights came in a set of 0.5kg /1kg /2kg /3 kg and 4kg. I have worked up to the 4kg over 18 months, but can do far less reps than with 3kg. I shall up my protein further with each meal as suggested, I can see I am on the low side. I am surprised that it started on my arms as they are never inactive with cleaning, washing up, ironing, hoovering, gardening and cooking. Leg atrophy I could have understood more in the last year than arms. I watched Hasfit yesterday and have saved videos and will use lighter weights for longer periods and take the videos slowly with all over body exercise. I certainly could not use 4kg weights with the Hasfit videos, I can see I need to change weights straight away. Thanks to all of you and keep well in these difficult times.
    Edit:
    I forgot to mention that I invested in a standing desk three years ago that I use on my dining room table, its now habit to get it out in the morning. I type standing and I find it prevents me sitting too often.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    LDemi333 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your time. Your posts are very helpful. My weights came in a set of 0.5kg /1kg /2kg /3 kg and 4kg. I have worked up to the 4kg over 18 months, but can do far less reps than with 3kg. I shall up my protein further with each meal as suggested, I can see I am on the low side. I am surprised that it started on my arms as they are never inactive with cleaning, washing up, ironing, hoovering, gardening and cooking. Leg atrophy I could have understood more in the last year than arms. I watched Hasfit yesterday and have saved videos and will use lighter weights for longer periods and take the videos slowly with all over body exercise. I certainly could not use 4kg weights with the Hasfit videos, I can see I need to change weights straight away. Thanks to all of you and keep well in these difficult times.
    Edit:
    I forgot to mention that I invested in a standing desk three years ago that I use on my dining room table, its now habit to get it out in the morning. I type standing and I find it prevents me sitting too often.

This is not directly responsive to your question, for which I apologize in advance.

You seem to be describing what might be a relatively rapid change in your arms' appearance, not sure. As a woman of similar age (I'm 65), I'm wondering if you've consulted your doctor recently, and whether you've had the kinds of blood tests that test for a range of metabolic or nutritional issues. In my experience, bodies can get a little weird as we age, and things that used to be just fine can be slipping out of range. Some of these are reasonably easily-remedied things (like deficiencies in Vitamin D, B12, other micronutrients).

As I said, I'm stepping beyond what you asked, but if you haven't been tested recently, it could be helpful, so I felt compelled to ask.

Beyond that, I just want to support what others have said: We are very capable, at our age, of building muscle and becoming healthier, even alongside sensibly gradual weight loss.

It sounds like you're highly motivated, and doing great; and you're for sure getting advice from some of MFP's best, in the folks who've commented above. Keep up that persistent progress, and you'll surprise yourself with what you can accomplish, I predict!
  • LDemi333
    Options
    Thanks Ann, that's a very good suggestion and I'll will enquire at my next check-up.
    Best wishes to all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I have several clients that are female over 65. And many of them now can curl 25lbs and have "hardened" up their arms. It takes time, but if you have the right guidance and practice safety, you can strengthen and "harden" up your arms. As for cellulite, that's genetic. The real only way to possible reduce appearance is to lower your body %.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png