Weight gain in menopause

Hi my name is Deena I recently just joined I never really had a problem with my weight until I started into menopause and now I seem to can’t stop gaining weight. I exercise and strength train but it seems like my body is just wanting to gain weight now I’ve never been really overweight I’ve been sort of underweight but I’m so used to having my body looking a certain way and feeling a certain way and I’m looking to feel better through better nutrition and diet. What results did people have on keto? How much weight can you lose in one week does anyone know?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,994 Member
    Hi Deena,

Your goals for weekly weight loss may vary depending how much you have to lose. If you have 100 pounds, you can lose faster. If you have 20 pounds, you should go slower. One good piece of advice is no more than 1% of your weight per week.

For every pound of weight loss, you have to create a 3500 calorie deficit. That is 500 calories per day. If you aim for half that, you may find it easier and still lose 26 pounds per year.

What are your weight loss goals, and how will you be making sure you succeed? How do you measure what you eat? That's where a lot of people get tripped up.
  • dsconz
    dsconz Posts: 2 Member
    You may want to work w a nutritional coach who will give you your macro nutrients to eat every week. It's counting how many grams of carbs, fats and protein you should be eating everyday. I started this over months ago and I am down 36 lbs.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I hear you.

I was always underweight (& anorexic). I weighed about 125 - 130 until I hit 40. Then my metabolism started to slow. OK I was underweight so no big deal.

Ugh that downward slide kept right on going as the scale inched upwards. Once menopause hit, forget it. The struggle is real. I have no answers, only comradery.

I believe this site recommends that you lose no more than 2 pounds per week.

• anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Aging certainly makes weight management more difficult. I'm 73 and still struggling but won't give up. I have found that accepting the body changes as normal is important while doing what we can to keep healthy is number one. What a person does in their 40 to 60 paves the way you are in your 70 onward. So, ladies keep up the fight.