Calories in Cooked Steak

Hello. I ordered an 11-oz steak from Outback. I know the steak loses weight after it is cooked. When I weighed it, it was 7.23-oz. Is this typical for a loss in weight when cooked? The nutrition information online says that an 11-oz steak is 390 calories. I know it depends on how it was cooked, how long it was cooked, etc., but I just want a general indication of how many calories I ate. Thank you!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Use the 11 ounces uncooked food entry.

And yes, lots of moisture is lost in cooking which accounts for the weight difference.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I'd use the online information. Your 11oz steak won't be less calories the more water you cook out of it, just because it now weighs less - it will just be dry and tough. I wouldn't choose a entry for a steak from the USDA database in this case, because that entry will not account for the butter and seasonings that the restaurant has trained their cooks to use on that particular dish.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you use the raw weight.

since its a chain they likely have the nutrition info online
  • erosemiller314
    erosemiller314 Posts: 48 Member
    Does Outback publish the nutrition facts for their meals? Try Google searching "Outback Steakhouse Nutrition Menu" and it should come up if they have one.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    The first thing I did was go and look up nutrition information for Outback Steakhouse. They list their 11 oz steak as 390 calories, like the OP said. However, the OP seems to think that when her steak shrank in the cooking process, it would have lost calories. That is not the case.

Interestingly, the USDA data for Center Cut Sirloin gives 413 calories for 11 oz. Outback must not cook their steaks in butter. I couldn't say how they cause the meat to have fewer calories, but it might be a rounding error, or they may regularly call 10.5 oz steaks 11 oz, or perhaps because it's less than 20% difference, they are legally allowed to lie about it...

But the 390 calories cited by the OP is what the Outback Steakhouse has published on their nutrition facts. It is very likely close enough to the actual calorie content of her steak. I am confident that it did not lose 34% of it's caloric value during the cooking process, regardless of how much the steak weighed cooked.