Muscle gain and belly fat loss mainly

Options
Hi friends, I am new to you but not fitness. Unfortunately I lose interest and go several years and get out of shape. I’m doing it better this time. I’m 57 yrs old. I used to jog a lot but currently into crazy hiking. I go to orange theory fitness along with hiking. I love OTF because I am lazy. I am making considerable changes to diet which is why I’ve lost 12 lbs. 190 lbs is my current weight. I’m looking to hit the weights much harder and there is considerable confusion on eating properly to be able to gain muscle and lose weight. That term isn’t right is it because if I gain muscle I’m gonna gain weight. Anyhow, nice to meet some new friends and will enjoy your advice.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You don't have to eat in a surplus to gain muscle - especially if overweight/overfat and new or returning to lifting after a considerable break.

I think some of the confusion comes from people thinking they have to copy what very highly trained body builders and strength athletes have to do to make incremental progress because after many years of dedicated training and dieting they are both close to their genetic potential and quite lean.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @sijomial always has good advice.

It sounds like you already have a plan. Being close to your age, I notice that I need to thread the needle between eating enough to sustain my exercise and eating too much. The days after a big hike, for example. I get visited by the extreme munchies and need to watch it!

Anyway, if you're asking, I think MFP helps a lot to get the eating just right. I see no reason to be extreme in the eating plan in terms of macro allocation or calories. When you get a good nutritional balance, hit your calorie goals, and get exercise, your body responds positively.

Best of luck!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Good luck it's great you have a plan!