Stronglifts with lagging bench press

Options
I'm currently doing stronglifts to build strength and at the same time doing 16/8 IF for weight loss since about Sept. I've been successful thus far averaging about a 1lb/week weight loss while advancing weights on SL. In Sept I was 215 and now I'm down to 202. (Im 5'8). I've been taking progress photos and can definitely see the changes to my body overall so Im pretty happy.

After 4.5 months going 2-3 times a week with SL I'm at: SQ 204, DL 235 BP 115 BR 115. OP 86
I've had to deload once on everything except DL and have been making good progress on 4 out of the 5 lifts. For some reason My bench is lagging behind other lifts. For SQ and OP I've already hit the 6 month beginner goals. DL is progressing nicely as well. I'm at 115 and failed to get 5x5 for the 2nd session. I failed x 3 before at 115 deloading and worked my way back up and now I'm there again. If I fail a 3rd time the program will want me to go to 3x5. My body type is lopsided (strong legs and back from being overweight but I have a bunch of belly fat and man boobs). I feel dropping to 3x5 would be too early given that it's only 115 and I haven't hit the beginner goal for BP. What do you think? Of course I could do it at 115 next time and this will all be moot!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I think you ran SL and you'd be better off finding a more advanced program instead of something linear.

Dropping to 3×5 from 5×5 is a very very short term strategy and typically we have way better options to drive progress rather than remove volume as a whole.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your beginner program has done its job - time to move on.

If you look in the stickied posts at the top of this forum you will find one called Which Lifting Program Is Best For You.