31 years old. A far cry from my former self.

Options
My name is Barak, I’ve always been a thin, active person. After two children, marriage, nursing school, and working during the pandemic I feel like I’ve finally reached the lowest point of my health. I found myself begging my doctor to put me back on antidepressants to cope with health anxiety and overall feelings of depression. After taking my first pill I felt that I was letting myself down by not even trying to get my health and body back first. So here I am! I used to run 8 miles a day, and today I ran .5 of a mile and felt accomplished. I’m hoping to go from the 190s back to the 170s and help my heart, lungs, joints, and mental well-being along the way. I have a garmin instinct and this app to help me along the way. Wish me luck and good luck to all of you as well. Thank you!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Welcome Barak - it's great that your focus is health in all its aspects.

Wish you every success.
  • SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it all Barak. Great that you went to your doctor and are getting back on track - but you're definitely not letting yourself down by getting the help you need. Taking care of your mental health will help you to take care of your physical health.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you for working during the pandemic. Yes, it's hard to think of yourself and your family. Take things slow and do things you enjoy. Using meds is not a fail. Use them in conjunction with your health plan. Be as consistent as you can everyday and when cutting calories don't give yourself too steep a deficit. Keep in touch with your doctor and you'll be OK. Wishing you all the best.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, and thank you for continuing to work through the pandemic. Gee, no freaking wonder you’re stressed!!!!!

I like your plan to take running back up, gradually.

With only twenty or so pounds to lose, don’t try to get it all off at once. You’ve subjected body and mind to plenty of stress as it is. Take the kinder path and shoot for a low per-week weight loss goal.

Count your calories, measure and weigh carefully. Get some outdoors quiet time with the running. That will help with both physical and mental.

You’re young, motivated, and are thinking this out. Good for you for getting a handle on it sooner than later.

Something tells me you’re going to be one of the successful ones here.

Hoping, no, expecting to hear back on the success stories forum when you’ve met your goal!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi Barak and welcome! Sometimes it's the baby steps that get us back to where we need to be.

And take care of yourself please!!! Sounds like you're doing all the right things.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    I was in peak condition at 31. Lol, at 57 today I'd love to be at that age to improve again with the knowledge I have now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Barak! And good for you for taking pride in your .5 mile! One of the things that comes up a lot here is that "Comparison is the thief of joy." It's true. Be proud of what you got out to do today. It's quite an achievement, regardless of how much your former self could do. You will have lots of support here, and people with an incredible amount of knowledge and experience. Listen and learn from them. You're already taking the first steps! And if medication can help you with your plan, then there's absolutely no shame. You may reach the day when you don't need it, but if you do now, take the help. You're worth it!