Gastric Sleeve tomorrow

Options
I am nervous. I have been a yo-yo dieter for years. I've done them all. Succeeded and failed more times than I can count. I tipped the scales at 336 pounds a week ago. I've been on a full liquid diet now for 6 days and I am down to 321 today. Surgery is tomorrow. I am scared because I dont want to wake up and wonder "what have I done?" Anyone here ever had this surgery?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    Options
    I have not, but wishing you the best! Great work on losing 15 pounds already.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    I think many have, so I’m sure you’ll get plenty of comments from those members.
    I have not, but I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow. Hope to see you back here after your recovery 🥳
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @rabernathy2012 Do you really want to go through with this. It's not too late to back out. This is going to be for the rest of your life. I can tell you some more about making it to the 10 year mark but you may not want to hear anything but positive remarks and positive comments. I lost a family member after this surgery and I have 5 more of them in varying post surgery states. You choose. If you don't really want this then you can back out. You can always opt for it after you've fought like hail for yourself like most of us have to do. You can always opt for that surgery on down the line.

WLS doesn't fix the appetite control center which is located in the brain and not the stomach. They can remove most of stomach but you're still left with your appetite control center which you will be dealing with for the rest of your life. They can't remove that part of the brain or reconstruct it. There's the 2 year mark and there's the 10 year mark on the WLS timeline. You choose.

Truth. Not one of them living has maintained any of their original weight loss but they are still
    left with the side effects of WLS.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery DOESN'T fix the reason why you feel you need to overeat. And many times people who get weight loss surgery shift that issue to something else. It could be alcohol, gambling, smoking, etc. People don't overeat because they need to. They do it to satisfy themselves emotionally. Would DEFINITELY make sure you talk to a therapist before surgery to ensure that's what you really want.
    I just watched an episode of "My 600lbs life" and the female on there got up to 900+ lbs. She had weight loss surgery, lost over 350lbs and YET was still sad and depressed because she couldn't enjoy what actually made her happy which was food. Last I saw she was seeing a therapist, but not sure of the outcome.

https://realityblurb.com/2020/12/30/photos-see-my-600-lb-life-samantha-mason-weight-loss-photos-vanilla-hippo-update/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kel_77__
    Kel_77__ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! 🤗