Need help staying motivated!

Options
Hi everyone,

I've already lost 40lbs (slowly) but have another 50lbs to get to target.
My problem is that I struggle with motivation. I start the day really motivated to eat well and work out, but I find that I'll crave something naughty and give in too easily and think 'Oh I'll just do better tomorrow'. I regret it almost immediately and then think 'Oh well, I've ruined it anyway, may as well carry on'.
Has anyone got past this and got some tips for me please?

Thank you!

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    This post is a good start: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

Motivation is fickle and fleeting though what you need to be successful at losing and maintaining weight is rooted in consistency of execution... the two aren't very well matched. Fostering positive habits that will hold up when put to the test on less motivated days are what makes the difference between progress and spinning one's wheels. Be realistic with your goals and what you're willing and able to live with on a daily basis.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,039 Member
    Options
    First, don't do such an extreme weight loss rate that it requires huge willpower. Make your process as easy as is possible with gradual weight loss in the picture, because losing any meaningful amount of weight is a long-term process. After that, there's maintenance, which is a *permanent* practice. Find sustainable habits that lead to your goals, rather than white-knuckling through some difficult, restrictive weight loss project with a (presumed) end date. It doesn't end.

Second, there are not "naughty" and "nice" foods. Most foods have some nutrition. Combine them in ways that hit your calorie goal, give you decent overall nutrition on average, that you enjoy eating, that keep you feeling full (mostly), and that are practical to prepare/eat. Focus more on getting good stuff into your eating, as opposed to avoiding so-called "naughty" foods. It's fine to have some calorie-dense, less nutrient-rich treats now and then, just for joy, within the context of an overall calorie-appropriate, nutrition-appropriate way of eating. Food isn't sin, it's just food.

Third, with respect to "I've ruined it anyway, may as well carry on". If you went out to your car to drive to work, and you had a flat tire, would you fix it and drive to work (maybe be a little late, sure), or would you puncture the other 3 tires and go back in the house? If you were driving far away to a long-anticipated vacation destination, and got lost, would you get directions and continue on your way, or would you give up and head home? It's not that different, really.

If you momentarily go off your plan, it's just a drop in the ocean of your whole life. It's no big deal. If it was a bigger calorie cost thing, one that inevitably makes your day harder, just spend no more than 5-10 minutes thinking about why it happened, and whether you can adjust your plan/practice to avoid future repeats. If there is, rehearse that new script vividly in your head a few times to make it memorable, then just get back on your goal-driven routine. There's no need for guilt (burns no extra calories), no need to "make up for it" (can be counterproductive). Just get back on track, and go on. It'll be fine.

If this sounds grumpy or harsh, I apologize for that. Try to think of me as your crotchety, outspoken li'l ol' internet auntie, who would truly love to see you succeed with your goals, because I'm for sure old enough to be. For real, I like to see people succeed here: I lost a bunch of weight myself 5+ years back, and have maintained a healthy weight since (after like 3 previous decades of obesity). It's been an amazing improvement in health and quality of life. I especially like to see people succeed at younger ages, and not wait until age 60 to be at a healthy weight/active like I did. I could kick myself for not doing it decades earlier, probably could've avoided a lot of negatives.

You can do this. Make it as easy as you can, and still progress, then just be persistent. It'll work. Best wishes!