Quick exercise to prevent backache?

Options
Oishii
Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
Normally I would walk to work, walk around the classroom, walk across the site if I needed a coffee etc, but being in lockdown I find a lot of the time I’m stationery and when I am, my back doesn’t like it. Are there any exercises I could do for 5 minutes here and there throughout the day which might help prevent that?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look up knee to chest stretch - it's one I like.

Learn a few general stretches just to use during the day. Lots of examples here:
    https://yogawithadriene.com/yoga-desk/
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like to stand and the slowly bend forward imagining that I'm bending each vertebrae one at a time until I touch the floor with ky fingertips (sometimes it requires slightly bending my knees if my hamstrings or back are super tight) and then just kind of hang there for a minute or two - taking deep, slow breaths and imagining my spine lengthening. Then I slowly roll back up again.

It feels good in the back AND is very calming and energizing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't want to freak you out, but I had back pain for weeks all up and down my entire back. Then, when I got tingling in my foot, the docs diagnosed me with bulging disc. To recover, I did core work (anti-rotation, strengthening w birddogs and deadbugs), lat activation, and a lot of unilateral work for my legs and back. Also worked a lot on hip activation and glute strengthening before lifts.

Walking is good. Finding the cause and addressing it is better. Use what I told you instead of paying for a PT for a little bit. Good luck.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Outside of a placebo effect, no there isn't a fix all to back discomfort that can be done in 5 minutes here and there unless you are completely untrained and even then pain is more complicated than a simply movement to render relieve.

Outside of trauma pain always starts in the brain as a protective mechanism. Pain doesn't equate to anything wrong and sometimes is just what we experience because of being a complex being. This is backed by current evidence.

That being said, if you were more active and then suddenly stopped...then I would gather some adequate stimulus is needed.

Are you resistance training at all? That is where I would start within a well written program with equipment you have available.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »
    Normally I would walk to work, walk around the classroom, walk across the site if I needed a coffee etc, but being in lockdown I find a lot of the time I’m stationery and when I am, my back doesn’t like it.

Are you mostly standing or sitting?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Like Chieflrg was referring to above, back pain can be caused by any number of things, and therefore have any number of fixes. I''ve been to both Physical Therapy and chiropractors for low back pain, and honestly besides the chiros adjusting me, all their exercises and fixes have been different! And that's for the same general problem (disc degeneration)!

The couple of pieces of advice I'd give, though, is try to get up and get moving as much as possible, and check your posture when you're sitting. Having your spine/hips in a neutral alignment without a forward pelvic tilt or backward pelvic tilt and engaging your core to sit can help with some of the back pain from sitting. This is something I continually have to work on, even though I do the exercises to strengthen my core and glutes. If I don't use them when I'm sitting/standing, all that work doesn't do a lot of good.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great. I have had back issues since my teens and Pilates was always the only time I'd get some relief. I've been told I have a degenerative disc.

Someone mentioned the knees to chest which is what my physio people always said to do and is great. I would look up some mat Pilates and start there. It's wonderful
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great. I have had back issues since my teens and Pilates was always the only time I'd get some relief. I've been told I have a degenerative disc.

Someone mentioned the knees to chest which is what my physio people always said to do and is great. I would look up some mat Pilates and start there. It's wonderful

I heard on Squat University and McGill say knees to chest only provides temporary relief and the disc issue is not addressed. In fact, I heard this can eventually cause MORE pressure on discs, 30-40 mins after doing this stretch.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    alexmose2 wrote: »

I heard on Squat University and McGill say knees to chest only provides temporary relief and the disc issue is not addressed. In fact, I heard this can eventually cause MORE pressure on discs, 30-40 mins after doing this stretch.

In all due respect, I wouldn't hold much water with what Squat U. I'm not saying this a example, but they put out a lot of info that is garbage and is not backed by current evidence.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    alexmose2 wrote: »

How would it cause more pressure 30-40 minutes later. I'm proof that it does give relief which is what most people with back issues are looking for? I'm pretty sure there is no exercise to address degenerative discs.

I speak from many years of experience.