Is there a time we should stop eating?

Options
Hi Everyone,

Basically I'm just wondering if any knows whether you should stop eating after a certain time of the day?!?!
And if so why?

Thank you x

Replies

• mrswilson2009
    Options
    hello,
    I was told NOT to eat 3 hours before you go to sleep.
    I hope this was helpful.

Best of luck.
    ~Jamie
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    No
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I try not to eat too close to bed time but I don't have a specific hour that I cut myself off. The reason for the "not too close to bed time" is because I'll end up with horrible acid reflux if I eat and then lay down for bed.

I've heard varying stories though of not eating past 7 or not eating past 8 because you don't burn the calories before bed. I don't know how true that is though.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I read recently that there is no science to back up not eating past a certain time.

Obviously it wouldn't be wise to eat a meal before bed because you might get bloated, but from my understanding of calories, your body burns them all night anyway so it shouldn't make a huge difference as long as you're sensible about it.

Lisx
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    everything I have heard says that a calorie is a calorie no matter what time of the day you consume it. Yes it's better for sleeping purposes not to eat right before bed, but those calories still count as much as what you ate when you woke up.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    everything I have heard says that a calorie is a calorie no matter what time of the day you consume it. Yes it's better for sleeping purposes not to eat right before bed, but those calories still count as much as what you ate when you woke up.

Depends, If I'm the slightest bit hungry when I go to bed I have trouble sleeping. If i'm running first thing in the morning I will almost alway eat before bed. Just whatever works for you.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I've found that I lose weight much faster if I go to bed a little hungry. If I'm starving, then I'll eat a little something. But I've read so many articles that say the metabolism slows while sleeping. (Sorry, not trying to confuse the topic any further). But most things related to weight loss other than the basics is trial and error for each individual anyway. Try not eating 2-3 hours before bed for a while and see if it works for you.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't cut myself off at a certain time. I tried doing that don't eat after 8pm and ended up waking up at like 4am starving. I think that it's up to the individual on when to stop eating for the day.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've always understood that you should stop eatting 2-3 hours before bed. I'm sure this can vary for different individuals. But if you're like me this is a good rule, because I tend to get bored in the evenings and will over eat if I don't remind myself what time it is. This rule keeps me from blowing my calories on a regular basis.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Basically I'm just wondering if any knows whether you should stop eating after a certain time of the day?!?!
    And if so why?

Thank you x

I have eaten all times of the day and night because I work peculiar hours that change all over the place from one week to the next, therefore I never have a choice and can be eating from 3am up to gone midnight on other days.

The only reason I can think of, for not eating too close to going to bed is that the digestion may interfere with your sleep or actually prevent you from nodding off or may give you weird dreams or nightmares.