Why would you do that to yourself?

Options

Replies

• gingameister
    gingameister Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahahahaha!!! OP, you have me cracking up!! You did a great job smacking her down into her place! I just know I wouldn't have been quick-witted enough to think of those responses if I was in your position! Truly awesome!!!

Why are people like that? Who knows. Sadly, there are twats like her everywhere.

Again, great job. And looking at your pics... why would you do that to yourself? Because you look good, that's why!! :-)
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Love your response, everyone has the right to lead their life, their way (as long as its legal), so sod em if they have a problem and more power to you. :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Nice comeback. I might have gone with "because I expected to see you at the gym today and I know how much it annoys you." :bigsmile:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Good for you, i want to hit her and I wasn't even there. That poking though, especially while you're working out and especially on your side, gods I would have been pissed. And for the record your pics are all bad *kitten* and beautiful. Social stigma should be placed on bad attitudes like hers not on any choices people make to express themselves through appearance.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! I wonder how many people this person berated today? You are probably the only one to put her in her place. Good for you!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Why do you do that to yourself?

I've heard this since I was a teenager, and I know full well it's not meant as a compliment or as a natural curiosity, especially when it's said with a very condescending tone.

Here I am, at the gym, minding my own business, staying out of everyone's way listening to my ear buds, music on max so I can stay in my own little world. I'm on the elliptical, trying for my 65 minutes, and a lady comes up behind me and pokes me on my side. Like a hard jab poke. I hate, HATE being touched by strangers, especially on my sides, with no warning, and while I am on a machine. I don't know anyone here, so it's not a friend. Case of mistaken identity perhaps? Waiting for a machine? Nope. There was about 15 other ellipticals available, and the look on her face, a look of disgust and, well, just a ***** look gave it away. I slowed down cause I don't want my progress erased.

"Yes?"

"Why do you do that to yourself?"

I know what she meant. I love to dye my hair. Now it is a crimson burgundy color. I also have various tattoos and piercings. I am 24. I am not going to put up with some stranger trying to put me down. I turn it around and she goes away pissed.

"Exercise? Well, I want to lose weight and get healthy. Same as everyone I guess."

Ugh. She points to my head. Nooo, (snobby tone) <i>that!</i> Why do you do that?

"Oh, uh, the music helps me get through it."

She rolls her eyes and moves a hip. "Uh, your hair."

"I put it in a bun so it won't stick to my skin when I sweat."

She's mad and I'm having a ball.

Gawd... No! Why do you dye your hair that color and have all those tattoos and piercings? I mean, why would you do that to yourself?

No side stepping that one.

"I like to, I like them, and I want to."

Snobby and ***** like. They look awful and you should have never done it.

I'm not one for petty name calling or telling people **** like that. I then ask her why she wears make up.

Uhh, it makes me look good. One eye brow raised, hands crossed, I'm-better-than-you stance.

"Shame they don't make make up for personalities because yours is disgusting."

She opened her mouth, shocked and feeling insulted, giving me the dirtiest look yet.

Cheesy, I know, but I got what I wanted. I smile, put my ear buds back in, and continue my workout.

I don't get people like that. I'm sure we all went to kindergarten and watched Bambi at one point in our lives. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. And keep your hands to yourself.

I have my opinion on tattoos and things that I think might hold people back from getting jobs in certain companies, but I would never go up to someone and ask them why they do anything. How rude of her. And, to touch you. I would have gone off on her just for that. Very funny the way that you played it off, though with your random answers. :laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I might have punched her in the throat as a gut reaction to being randomly poked. :laugh:
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the awesome support. maybe she had something happen and wanted to make someone else feel bad? didn't work, and she took the worst course of action, but maybe, she'll learn not to be a d***
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i've gotten that once before. people are so ridiculous. it blows me away that people forget that not every person in the world is exactly like them. how about i did it because... *newsflash* I LIKE IT!
  • lashleywilliams93
    Options
    I have 2 tattoos and 3 piercings in each ear. It's nothing flashy, nothing inappropriate, but rather very subtle. And yet I get this all the time. Mostly from older generations. I know how you feel.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I would have just gone crazy at her for touching me!
    You handled the situation really well. Good for you!
    I used to love dying my hair, I am naturally dark so i normally went for things with a red or *gasp* purple hues.
    Now, I just dye it my natural colour to cover up those grey highlights:)
    I have a 16 yr old daughter. She just got her nose peirced, in the last 6 weeks she has gone from bright pink hair to oxblood red, and she is saving for her first tattoo. I am fine with all this (as long as she pays for it LOL), there are worse things she could be experimenting with :)
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I love when people see my tattoos and nose piercing and then find out I'm a nurse. They seem to be shocked that I am smart, college educated and have tattoos! I really hate judgmental people! They suck :)
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love when people see my tattoos and nose piercing and then find out I'm a nurse. They seem to be shocked that I am smart, college educated and have tattoos! I really hate judgmental people! They suck :)

They certainly do suck! You could not have said it any better. Suppose that awful girl got jumped because she said something hurtful to the wrong person; she would not feel the same way about tattoos and piercings when she needs a smart educated nurse like yourself to put her back together again.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm very traditional but I just look at your profile pics and the hair colour looks soooo good on you!! Very cool. She was nasty and jealous.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    What a great response! I have to admit i am guilty of thinking that at times but, i would never say it out loud especially to the person. It is your body to do with what you choose....your canvas to build on. Sometimes it can even be tasteful....to each his own.

It was rude of her to begin with by interupting your workout and then to give her un asked opinion. You put her in her place at least. Good for you!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of those kind of comments when I streaked my hair pink. One of my friends told me that some people were talking behind my back about it. Seriously??? Is there not something else to discuss? Like global warming, the job market, the corruption in goverment, whatever else that might be newsworthy? But my choice of hair coloring? I never felt so darn important. LOL
  • thegabbleduck
    thegabbleduck Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to get that all the time when I worked in retail - but I was never allowed to talk back

The one that always surprised me is "do you know your hair is blue?!" Ummm. Yes.. I had noticed, but thank you... I always wanted to run to a mirror, and be all like "****, why has this happened?!?!?!?"

Well done on owning her!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    you are a better person than me because I probably would have said "Because you should go *kitten* yourself thats why."
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    * slow clap *
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would have just stood there in shock, not able to form a good comeback. You are awesome.