MOTIVATION HOW TO

Options
I hope you didn’t arrive here looking for some fancy jargon that would transform you into a weight loss or muscle building machine. Everyone is seeking motivation, but it’s not the key. The key is discipline and commitment to show up daily and just do it. Log your calories, log your steps or reps or whatever method you’re using to move your body more. Do it knowing that transformation doesn’t happen overnight. Find the time. Do it when you don’t want to, do it when you think you’ve failed or fallen face first into a bowl of ice cream or whatever alluring food issued the siren’s call. And then, after a while, a beautiful thing happens: you start to transform, see results, and become… motivated. Oh hello, there you are!

PEP TALK #012121

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I get what you’re saying - but where do I find discipline? 🧐 I seem to have been born without it!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I get what you’re saying - but where do I find discipline? 🧐 I seem to have been born without it!

We all have the ability to be disciplined. It is a mindset muscle that needs exercise much like our physical muscles.

Start with small, tangible mindset exercises, work on progressions to increase the difficulty (but also the results) and then keep using your POSITIVE mindset muscles.

You'll level up your life: promise.
  • marapalumbo
    marapalumbo Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I feel the same way sometimes! 😂
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ultimately, all of it (determination, motivation, persistence, etc).... comes from within. no amount of cheerleading can do it for you.

I see a lot of people (especially new people) set unrealistic expectations, or simply set themselves up for failure. January always brings a flurry of new friends to my profile, and that's great... I welcome pretty much everyone (always have) But by the end of January, half of those new ones are gone, and by the end of February half of those remaining are gone. within 6 months.... half of that. With the exception of a few friends that I hope return, I delete people off if they have been inactive for several months.

10 years of observation ;)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    ultimately, all of it (determination, motivation, persistence, etc).... comes from within. no amount of cheerleading can do it for you.

I see a lot of people (especially new people) set unrealistic expectations, or simply set themselves up for failure. January always brings a flurry of new friends to my profile, and that's great... I welcome pretty much everyone (always have) But by the end of January, half of those new ones are gone, and by the end of February half of those remaining are gone. within 6 months.... half of that. With the exception of a few friends that I hope return, I delete people off if they have been inactive for several months.

10 years of observation ;)

I am ashamed to admit I am one of those people! 🙈
    I try to do it all at once. I’ll say to myself “I’ll exercise 5 days a week, eat nothing but healthy meals, no snacks, meditate daily etc”.
    And when I wake up the next day I’m so tired I just reach for coffee and something quick and easy (bread, mainly).
    For 10 years it’s been a constant cycle of starting, giving up, restarting and so on. So sick and tired of it. My other half doesn’t take me seriously any more because of the amount of times I’ve said “This time I’m going to do it” and failing. I don’t blame him, I think I don’t even believe myself any more 😞
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit I am one of those people! 🙈
    I try to do it all at once. I’ll say to myself “I’ll exercise 5 days a week, eat nothing but healthy meals, no snacks, meditate daily etc”.
    And when I wake up the next day I’m so tired I just reach for coffee and something quick and easy (bread, mainly).
    For 10 years it’s been a constant cycle of starting, giving up, restarting and so on. So sick and tired of it. My other half doesn’t take me seriously any more because of the amount of times I’ve said “This time I’m going to do it” and failing. I don’t blame him, I think I don’t even believe myself any more 😞

I think we've all been there - well, I certainly have anyway! Spent years doing every fad diet out there, constantly yo-yoing with my weight - losing a bit but then putting it all back on again (and usually more). This is the longest I have stuck with a weight loss journey and I think it's a lot because I am thinking of it as a 'journey' - I've had to accept that it's going to be a long process and I need to make changes I can actually stick with in the long term. That means not going too mad, letting myself have 'treats' sometimes, and accepting that sometimes I'm going to muck up and slide backwards - but that doesn't mean I have to give up or that it's instantly undone everything else I've done.

It's not easy (why do you think 'quick fix' diets makes sooooo much money?) but you CAN do it. I believe in you :D (also feel free to add me if you'd like x)
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options

We all have hidden discipline, it's just a matter of finding it. For instance, if I told you that I'd give you a million dollars at the end of a week or a month, but only if you stayed under a certain calorie limit, logged all your foods, and got 30 minutes of exercise of your choice daily... would you do it for a million bucks? Yes, because you'd "see" a tangible reward (motivator) in your mind and daily remind yourself of that reward. With weight loss, the tangible reward happens after the work is done, ie: the loss on the scale or the pants that now fit again and so we must have good imaginations in order to "see" it in our minds and act on it daily, because we've got a long way to go and it only comes off a tenth of a pound at a time. We need to do it anyway and trust those who are telling us that it will happen, that it is worth it, and that we'll feel like a million bucks!