Weightlifting struggles

Options
Hya Guys,

I was really hoping to hear from anyone who has experienced the following and how they fixed it?
I weight lift 4 times a week from home using dumbbells trying to use progressive overload. Currently eating in a slight deficit ( been logging for two years and lost weight so my TDEE is accurate) I feel my sleep, diet and programme is also pretty good.
My issue is the last few weeks I've lifted I had to stop after 2 sets sometimes as I felt so exhausted. I got to 4 sets of 6 exersises at Xmas time, and now progress has gone AWOL.
The obvious for me is that I was eating in a surplus over Christmas so had more energy, but also gained weight. I don't want to keep gaining weight, but do want to keep making strength progress. I am at the upper end of my BMI and still have quite alot of body fat.
Does anyone have any tips regarding snacks or drinks they have before a workout? I tend to eat lunch an hour before for fuel.
Also I often walk between 45 to 60 mins most days, could this affect the strengh workout?
Sorry I realise I am rambling now, but really anybody that went through anything similar and managed to fix it and start making progress again...would love to hear from you : )

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    How long have you been training?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the same exercises on back to back to back to back days, that could definitely be an issue...do you take days off in between? Your muscles need recovery time to progress. Are you following any kind of structured program? Most 4-5 day programs are splits where you work different muscle groups on different days to allow for recovery...otherwise 3x per week full body programs are quite common as you work everything in a single workout, but your have a day or two of rest between workouts.
  • Leonie_M234
    Leonie_M234 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @steveko89

I used to do barbells a few years ago so not a total newbie, then had a baby. Since then for the past year, but more seriously and more structured since the end of November
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're doing the same exercises on back to back to back to back days, that could definitely be an issue...do you take days off in between? Your muscles need recovery time to progress. Are you following any kind of structured program? Most 4-5 day programs are splits where you work different muscle groups on different days to allow for recovery...otherwise 3x per week full body programs are quite common as you work everything in a single workout, but your have a day or two of rest between workouts.

If you're NOT doing the same exercises on back to back days, are you eating enough to fuel your workouts?

Sometimes after a period of overeating, people swing too far in the other direction and under-eat.

Are you eating back the calories you earn from exercise?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I always found it hard to lift weights when on a calorie deficit. For some reason, I'm better with cardio, which actually makes my hunger go away for a while.

Generally, lifting weights is good for gaining muscle, which is easiest if you are eating at or above maintenance. Cardio is good for losing weight.

Finally, if you allocate too many of your calories to protein, you'll rob from carbs and fats, which are better fuel. I've done my best cuts with no more than about 20% of my calories from protein and while getting lots of cardio, including swimming, which maintains upper body strength very well.
  • Leonie_M234
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Hi I follow a 4 day split upper and lowerbody programme, so get 3 full days off from weights. I am never doing a lowerbody 2 days in a row for example. I also do an occasional 13 mile bike ride, 1 20 min hiit workout and I walk 45 to 60 mins 5 times a week.

@kshama2001 Hi My TDEE is 2300 ( I am 5,9 tall 37 and 168 pounds. I am aiming currently for a net of 1800 overall so yes on somedays and no on others as I look at the weekly average rather than daily. Through Dec and Nov I was averaging a net of between 2500-3000 a day
  • Leonie_M234
    Options
    @Jthanmyfitnesspal Thats interesting, I have to admit I dont tend to look at macros. I just aim for about 100g of protein. I assumed my carbs and fats were ok, but I'll have a look at them thanks!
  • jondorf13
    jondorf13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try other form of workout just to kick your *kitten* in different way from your old times. Try joining for a gym to regain what you had before... Just don't forget to get enough rest, eat a well balance nutrition foods to help you unlock your potential.
  • Leonie_M234
    Options
    @jondorf13 Thanks for the tips! I would love to join a gym but they are all shut here in lockdown : ( I have fairly heavy dumbbells thank goodness but will have to get creative with how I use them eventually
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Hi I follow a 4 day split upper and lowerbody programme, so get 3 full days off from weights. I am never doing a lowerbody 2 days in a row for example. I also do an occasional 13 mile bike ride, 1 20 min hiit workout and I walk 45 to 60 mins 5 times a week.

@kshama2001 Hi My TDEE is 2300 ( I am 5,9 tall 37 and 168 pounds. I am aiming currently for a net of 1800 overall so yes on somedays and no on others as I look at the weekly average rather than daily. Through Dec and Nov I was averaging a net of between 2500-3000 a day

OK, just as context for other readers/respondents, you're at the top of the normal BMI range for your height. (No value judgement of any sort implied.)

Depending on how concerned you are about your weight vs. strength/muscularity progress, you could consider a smaller deficit, for one. (I've lost around 10-15 pounds - depending which day you ask, given fluctuations! 😉 - over the past year. That amounts to a ridiculously small 100-150 calorie daily deficit. It's been virtually painless, and I haven't noticed any exercise related energy deficits. I'm not a heavy lifter, but a water/machine rower, so cardio on the strength-y side, sometimes intense.) A 0.5 pound/week goal (250 calorie deficit) might give you better energy, plus more flexibility on the carb/fat side.

Also, I'm wondering if your program has any deloads (lighter periods)? If not, that's a thing to consider. Someone who knows more than I about strength training could say more intelligent things about that.

Finally, I'm wondering about the nature of the HIIT, and how you time that workout wrt your lifting. HIIT, generally speaking, is extra fatiguing (possibly in subtle ways). It can be good stuff in a cardiovascular and physiological sense, and once a week (still speaking generically) seems like sensible dosing for someone who already has a decent CV fitness base. However, it can potentially interfere with strength training recovery, in my understanding. As a physical stressor, it can also interplay with other stressors, like calorie deficit, not to mention others (work/home stress, pandemics, sub-par sleep quality, sub-ideal nutrition, alcohol intake even within a non-crazy range, . . .). I'm saying all of this in a context where I recognize that many things are called HIIT these days, and it can make a difference exactly what you're doing, not to mention when you're doing it.

Hope you're able to work out a solution!

• Leonie_M234
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thankyou! it doesnt have deloads but I think I might need it, was reading about this the other day. I have to admit getting this last stone off is quite important to me from a vanity point of view, but it does look like a 250 defecit would be better. I do drink once or twice a week ( included in my cals) and I imagine that doesn't help matters!
    I agree with you about the HIIT, I like to do it now and then for the endorphines and it makes me feel good. I do notice when I do weights on the odd day I don't go for a walk too I have more energy? it's a catch 22, step counts are good for fat loss but it also seems to affect my weight training.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thankyou! it doesnt have deloads but I think I might need it, was reading about this the other day. I have to admit getting this last stone off is quite important to me from a vanity point of view, but it does look like a 250 deficit would be better. I do drink once or twice a week ( included in my cals) and I imagine that doesn't help matters!
    I agree with you about the HIIT, I like to do it now and then for the endorphines and it makes me feel good. I do notice when I do weights on the odd day I don't go for a walk too I have more energy? it's a catch 22, step counts are good for fat loss but it also seems to affect my weight training.

Yes, with only 14 pounds to lose a 250 calorie deficit sounds like a better plan for you. Enjoy those extra calories and let us know if you are less fatigued :)

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Do you use RPE?
    Are you training to failure on each set?
    Do you have deloads built into your programme?
    If you’re training to failure all the time it may be why ur feeling so beat up.
    Take a look at some of Eric Helms and teams work. Or the barbell medicine website.
    You may need some adjustments to your training
  • Leonie_M234
    Options
    @cupcakesandproteinshakes

Thankyou for the reply, god knows what I would do without this forum! been feeling really down about lack of energy. Went on a 13 mile bike ride yesterday which I never do more than weekly or fortnightly currently and it killed me. Bear in mind had slept fine, eaten a big breakfast and even had a protein bar half way.
    I am going to look into this, no deloads no and I dont use RPE. Because the weight is heavy for me I prob am training to failure without realising. I know I should stop before 1 or 2 reps are still possible and I'm not always doing that. I am so worried all the time about not working hard enough.
    Was also thinking about doing a 3 day full body split to give more rest time instead of 4 day ( 2 lower and 2 upperbody)
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @cupcakesandproteinshakes

Thankyou for the reply, god knows what I would do without this forum! been feeling really down about lack of energy. Went on a 13 mile bike ride yesterday which I never do more than weekly or fortnightly currently and it killed me. Bear in mind had slept fine, eaten a big breakfast and even had a protein bar half way.
    I am going to look into this, no deloads no and I dont use RPE. Because the weight is heavy for me I prob am training to failure without realising. I know I should stop before 1 or 2 reps are still possible and I'm not always doing that. I am so worried all the time about not working hard enough.
    Was also thinking about doing a 3 day full body split to give more rest time instead of 4 day ( 2 lower and 2 upperbody)

Couple of things:

Your bike rides are likely impairing recovery. 13 miles is quite a lot. Tack down a few miles and see what happens.
    For your height/weight, that's a low calories count, even for deficit. @AnnPT77 is right to go for a smaller deficit.
    Your protein at 100g is pretty low. Protein is essential to build muscle. Shoot for 1g/lb BW or lean body mass. I'd try 168g and see how you feel. Lower fats and THEN carbs. Your body will preference carbs as a fuel source.
    RP folks suggest anything between 0-4 reps in the tank per set can induce hypertrophy. Deload and shoot for 4 on your next meso and go up from there.

All these are just suggestions from a quick read. Cheers.
  • Leonie_M234
    Options
    @alexmose2 I agree with you on the protein and thank you for your reply : ) I struggle to get up to 100g as I used to be vegan and prob didn't even hit 40g some days, I use protein powder in oats and a shake and that's helped.
    I am interested that you think the deficit is too low for my height and weight, I have to say I thought it was ok according to my own data and tdee calculators. A smaller 250 cal deficit will be slow but energy levels might be better. The best I felt was before Christmas I went of track a bit and was eating between 2500-3000 cals a day!! but I gained about 3lbs so thats not going to work in the long run I am pained to admit.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @alexmose2 I agree with you on the protein and thank you for your reply : ) I struggle to get up to 100g as I used to be vegan and prob didn't even hit 40g some days, I use protein powder in oats and a shake and that's helped.
    I am interested that you think the deficit is too low for my height and weight, I have to say I thought it was ok according to my own data and tdee calculators. A smaller 250 cal deficit will be slow but energy levels might be better. The best I felt was before Christmas I went of track a bit and was eating between 2500-3000 cals a day!! but I gained about 3lbs so thats not going to work in the long run I am pained to admit.

A few thoughts, if I may. Some are about the deficit, some about the protein (coming from my perspective as a 5'5" vegetarian with a 100g protein goal, and a dislike of protein powders/bars and faux meats - just a taste preference thing, not dissing them in any other way).

First, a slow loss rate (small deficit) really, really can work, if you have a (1) good understanding of your calorie needs (which develops via logging experience & the scale response to it), and (2) good, consistent logging habits. The #1 item can theoretically be developed while running the small deficit, but it will take quite a while in that context. Which leads me to my second point . . .

IMO, a really important thing to understand is that a small deficit can be very, very misleading on the bodyweight scale, sometimes for surprisingly long period of time. Think about it: If random water weight fluctuations vary one's weight by (say) 1-2 pounds from day to day, and the fat loss is half a pound a week (250 calories daily), how long will it take for a clear fat loss trend to emerge from the noise of the fluctuations: Yup, a month, maybe two. This can be a challenge, for someone who's maybe over-responsive (stress or whatever) to routine scale fluctuations. (I'm not saying this is you, but mentioning the whole subject in "forewarned is forearmed" mode.)

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I've been running a 100-150 calorie average deficit daily for around the past year, and finding it very painless. I'm not saying you should go that slowly, but I'm going to use my own data as a case-study example of the above comments. This is my Libra (weight trending app) graph for a few months during that process. The vertical lines connect daily weights to the bumpy, solid, horizontal-ish trend line. (You'll see some high days in there around the November/December holidays 🤣. My daily deficit is set around 250 calories, but I have some indulgent days now and then that move the average to that 100-150 long term daily average.)

10bv06wb21el.png

For example, look at July. Looks like gain or maintain, right? It wasn't. I restarted routine strength training after a long-ish hiatus, and I always add a couple of pounds of water weight when I do that, and hang onto it until I stop. In August, you can finally see the trend drop that represents the super slow fat loss finally emerging from behind the fog of water weight. Still, over the long haul, the weight changes from fat loss have added up. Since October 2019 (not shown), I'm down from mid/high-130s pounds to reliably mid-120s now. (The plateau-ish zone on the chart was admittedly eating behavior, not misleading.) I've noticed zero problems with athletic progress (though I admit for me it's mostly measured in rowing speed rather than lifts.) So, it can work, and it's pretty painless, except for that scale-motivation aspect of it.

Enough of that! About protein:

When I was trying to lose, I found diary review really helpful as a tool for increasing protein, as a vegetarian, on lower calories. Every few days at first, I was reviewing my diary, looking for foods that "cost" more calories than they were worth to me in tastiness, satiation, or nutrition, and reducing or eliminating them in favor of other foods I like that were better contributor to my goals. I don't know if you're omnivore now, but this would potentially be even easier than if you were veg. It's great to get the "one big protein per meal", of course, but it can be helpful to sneak in little bits of protein here and there from the meals' bit players, and from snacks: They can add up through the day. Some of them are less complete in essential amino acids (EAA), but getting a variety will tend to compensate somewhat for that.

As a former vegan, you probably realize that there are grains, veggies, breads, etc. with more protein than others, and even some fruits with protein. There's nothing wrong with protein powders or bars as a supplement, IMO, though I personally find food sources more tasty/satisfying. In finding food choices to try, this thread was really helpful to me (as a veg, I had to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top of the linked spreadsheet, but the plant sources are in there further down the calorie-efficiency order for protein sources):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Best wishes for progress!
  • Leonie_M234
    edited January 2021
    Options
    zqsbpajw0h63.jpg
    @AnnPT77 Thanks again Ann! really interesting to read about your journey and see the flucuations in that chart. I do eat meat now which makes things alot easier, the info you posted will be helpful. I struggle to go beyond 100g within my calories, so need to really look into this. I am lucky I have 2 years worth of data so my TDEE is bang on what I think it is, as is my calculation of exersise calories.
    What I am realising about lifting too is that it increases my appetite, and eating in a defecit is just not easy unless it's a small one as you say.
    I wish I had a better before pic but I've lost 2.5 stone ( gained back almost 7lbs since summer) and I lost a ton of fat around my middle. As you can see there is no muscle definition yet apart from some on my arms and upper back in the proper lighting. however my clothes are not tighter having gained that weight back. I remember asking previously about body recomp eating at maintenance. I guess that could happen on a tiny defecit still?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    zqsbpajw0h63.jpg
    @AnnPT77 Thanks again Ann! really interesting to read about your journey and see the flucuations in that chart. I do eat meat now which makes things alot easier, the info you posted will be helpful. I struggle to go beyond 100g within my calories, so need to really look into this. I am lucky I have 2 years worth of data so my TDEE is bang on what I think it is, as is my calculation of exersise calories.
    What I am realising about lifting too is that it increases my appetite, and eating in a defecit is just not easy unless it's a small one as you say.
    I wish I had a better before pic but I've lost 2.5 stone ( gained back almost 7lbs since summer) and I lost a ton of fat around my middle. As you can see there is no muscle definition yet apart from some on my arms and upper back in the proper lighting. however my clothes are not tighter having gained that weight back. I remember asking previously about body recomp eating at maintenance. I guess that could happen on a tiny defecit still?

Wonderful results so far - you look great!

There's at least a decent chance of recomp at a slight deficit, IMO. Realistically, we're talking probabilities, and genetic potential is part of that, along with age, quality of program, faithfulness of performing the program, adequate nutrition (especially but not exclusively protein), calorie intake, and maybe more. I think the more you optimize the ones of those you can control, the better your odds of progress. Reasonable to expect it to be kinda gradual at best, but the better you can make the conditions, it'll be a plus. Other people can give you better advice than I about recomp, though. I'm a lackadaisical lifter, at best. 🤷‍♀️
  • Leonie_M234
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thankyou! I looked at the recomp thread a while ago and it's really interesting. There seems to be alot of conflicting ideas on whether to start at the right BMI or when you are still overweight. But anyway just want that muscle definition so bad if truth be told!! will just keep on trying and experimenting : )