help from some experienced mfp-ers please!!

Options
Hi all

Am after a bit of expertise and motivation if Im completely honest!!
Have been calorie counting for the last 4 weeks-sticking at 1200 a day plus exercising 3 times a week (and eating back the calories).
In week 1 it was great and I lost 4lb but since then I have only lost about 0.5lb a week.
Im 5ft4 and started at 162lbb, now about 155lb so I have arund 2 st in total to lose.

This rate of loss is much slower than I expected-if im about 600 below my calorie needs each day, then over a week that should be 4200 cals which is more like 2lb weight loss.

Does anyone have any tips or experience with this? Am finding sticking to the cal limits relatively simple but its almost as if Im doing something wrong!!!

Any thoughts much appreciated!! :-) x

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Have been calorie counting for the last 4 weeks-sticking at 1200 a day plus exercising 3 times a week (and eating back the calories).
    In week 1 it was great and I lost 4lb but since then I have only lost about 0.5lb a week.
    Im 5ft4 and started at 162lbb, now about 155lb so I have arund 2 st in total to lose.

This rate of loss is much slower than I expected-if im about 600 below my calorie needs each day, then over a week that should be 4200 cals which is more like 2lb weight loss.

Does anyone have any tips or experience with this? Am finding sticking to the cal limits relatively simple but its almost as if Im doing something wrong!!!

1) throw away that 1200 calorie mindset. it's wrong.
    2) 4200 calories is not 2 lbs. it's only 1.2 lbs.
    3) weight loss is not linear. all sorts of processes are occurring in your body. your scale will fluctuate a couple of lbs every day no matter what you are doing.
    4) don't expect strangers on here to create a regimen for you. instead, focus on learning what's really going on in your body and how to set your calorie and macro goals. understand what that all means. then you can set your own regimen and make adjustments to it as necessary.

start by reading the threads listed here. really read them and understand them. they will get your goals and mindset right, so that you can start losing in a way that is enjoyable and not frustrating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

those threads can be found in the Eat, Train, Progress group. that should be your first stop ALWAYS for solid, scientific answers to your questions. these public forums are full of derp. avoid the derp!

good luck.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Hi all

3) weight loss is not linear. all sorts of processes are occurring in your body. your scale will fluctuate a couple of lbs every day no matter what you are doing.
    4) don't expect strangers on here to create a regimen for you. instead, focus on learning what's really going on in your body and how to set your calorie and macro goals. understand what that all means. then you can set your own regimen and make adjustments to it as necessary.

start by reading the threads listed here. really read them and understand them. they will get your goals and mindset right, so that you can start losing in a way that is enjoyable and not frustrating.

those threads can be found in the Eat, Train, Progress group. that should be your first stop ALWAYS for solid, scientific answers to your questions. these public forums are full of derp. avoid the derp!

good luck.

The links and group listed above are a very valuable resource - definitely check them out. Reading through them will provide you with excellent information.

Brainy's points are very valid that weight loss is not linear or completely predictable, especially over a few weeks of time - your results are not unreasonable. Patience and periodic adjustments will be important.

You calories sound like they may be a little low. Too low can make it difficult to sustain over time. What type of exercises are you doing, and how active are you in general during the day? How is your energy level and ability to keep at target - those are important things to watch. Are there any medical conditions affecting your metabolism - an important factor to consider. The closer you are to goal, the smaller your calorie deficit should be.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Hi all

good luck.

The links and group listed above are a very valuable resource - definitely check them out. Reading through them will provide you with excellent information.

Brainy's points are very valid that weight loss is not linear or completely predictable, especially over a few weeks of time - your results are not unreasonable. Patience and periodic adjustments will be important.

You calories sound like they may be a little low. Too low can make it difficult to sustain over time. What type of exercises are you doing, and how active are you in general during the day? How is your energy level and ability to keep at target - those are important things to watch. Are there any medical conditions affecting your metabolism - an important factor to consider. The closer you are to goal, the smaller your calorie deficit should be.

^ All of this.