PLEASE HELP

Options
AnonymouslyFree
AnonymouslyFree Posts: 26 Member
edited January 2021 in Motivation and Support
First off, hi everyone. :) I'm new to this and need some help and / or pointers for my new journey. A little background info on me. I am a 35 yr old female, no kids and just started getting serious about my weight loss this year. I am not on any social media platforms but am thinking I could use some encouragement here..This introvert needs some healthy-minded friends!... I want to be completely honest. I was pretty muscular and fit in high school (cheerleading-flyer) and hated how strong I looked even though I was healthy. I'm only 5'0 so any weight or muscle on me makes me look huge in my eyes. 50lbs on a short person looks like 100lbs. Anyway, after highschool I started not eating and loved the way I looked. Before you criticize, I KNOW THIS IS NOT A HEALTHY WAY OF THINKING. So for starving and loving my body for most of my 20's, I made a change when I turned 30. I got a serious boyfriend who loved me regardless and I started eating. Whatever I wanted. Whenever I wanted. I over did it, big time. Here I am 5 years later, 50 lbs heavier missing my 110lb frame even if I got there completely the wrong way. I made up my mind to lose the weight naturally, with diet and exercise and this will be the first time I am approaching losing weight in a healthy way. I realized today, I need support, I need someone to encourage me and let me bounce ideas and questions off of. I started calorie counting and light exercise on Jan 4th and as of today, I've lost 10lbs!! I know I'm doing something right but still have cravings and feel guilt when I have a cheat meal. I'm still learning this app, but please reach out if your looking for a friend to help encourage you as well. I'm serious about my health this time and something feels different. Here's to everyone on here trying to better themselves the right way!! You have inspired me.

Replies

• reality122
    reality122 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Glad you are here! You can do it!
  • AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    OP here. Not sure how to reply to those above directly so hopefully you all are still reading this thread. I agree that 10lbs in 3 weeks is a lot and could be concern for some but must admit it's extremely motivating. I will detail what I've been doing to get your thoughts on if it's a healthy pursuit or not. I am currently only doing 1000 calories a day, sometimes a little over. I asked for a treadmill for my birthday over 2 years ago and my loving boyfriend got me one. It sat unused and dusty until January 4th of this year. I went from eating a few thousand calories a day with 0 exercise to waking on the treadmill for 30 minutes everyday, plus 30 minutes of floor stretching, and light weight exercises. For food, I am still having my mocha k cup with creamer every morning, never really been a breakfast person, lunch usually cucumbers with basalmic dressing, bananas, strawberries, weight watcher food, turkey sticks, string cheese ext.. dinners have been mostly chicken breast or boneless pork cutlets, marinated, with a side of steamer veggies, asparagus. Etc...i have had a cheat meal at least once a week including spaghetti, Mexican food at a restaurant, margaritas, and chips and salsa. One person replied that my guilt is my old eating disorder raring it's ugly head again and I couldn't agree more. I realize that mindset will always be laying low inside me. I do feel I'm being responsible with eating now though so please share your thoughts if you agree or disagree. One thing that makes losing weight feel obtainable this time is I am not restricting myself from everything I enjoy. (I tried keto for 14 days and HATED not being able to enjoy fruit, bread, etc) I am not a weight watchers member but anyone can buy their packaged products through their shop so I snack on 60 cal chocolate bars, chips, etc...I hope this alleviated some worry for some posters above and keep the thoughts coming, I so appreciate the support! ❤
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ImChipper wrote: »
    I understand people's concern about weight loss, but has no one ever lost/gained a lot of weight overnight from water weight? Periods? Take out food hello :P And we understand that isn't 'true' fat being gained/lost.

All the concerned people and I haven't seen one suggest seeing a doctor, just to get a good frame of what is really healthy. Weight isn't everything. I was once unhealthy at 130 pounds size 9, then strong and super fit at 145 size 6. Our bodies are so different and complex that ultimately, checking with a doctor, and/or finding your BMI and TDEE from a professional can go a long way. <3

Actually I did recommend seeking help addressing the eating disordered thinking which is what the OP s expressing by eating so low and feeling guilty, etc....1000 cals per day IS TOO LOW, no doubt about it....
  • AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    Fun fact: I went to a local weight loss place to get some help about a year ago. They are a well known company called Metabolic Research and they assist with healthy eating and supplements. (Or so I thought)

They recommended I go on a 700/day calorie diet along with taking high levels of HCG. I of course knew how crazy that sounded and left immediately...but please consider that I was referred to this place by my own doctor!! They do tell you low calorie diets are ok for someone my size, so to me 1,000 /day does not seem unreasonable. For a 5ft person like me, according to docs, a normal weight is between 97lbs--123lbs. Anything over 123lb is considered overweight and that has been notated in my medical charts before.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    OP women of any size, you said you weighed in at 160 bs, your size is irrelevant to your weight you are now, apart from setting a goal weight and HEALTHY weight/fat loss goal....

1200 cals per day is the recommended MINIMUM for women full stop....net calories....

According to the TDEE website (and the info you gave us in your post) you need 1783 cals per day to MAINTAIN your current weight of 150 lbs. So to lose 1 lbs per week a cut/deficit of 500 cals per day is reasonable, that puts you at 1283 cals per day.

If you think 1000 per day is okay and healthy, sustainable, etc then why are you asking for our help and advice, you seem to want us to say eating 1000 cals per day and losing 3 + lbs per week is okay. It is not in the long run....a few of us have already pointed this out.

Carry on....
  • AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    I certainly did not mean to stir up so much controversy and I do appreciate the feedback and information. Looking back to my "skinny days", I do recall friends saying I looked "too skinny" but then my doctor would say I was in "great shape" and "healthy", so it's odd that those types of comments come from people who are licensed and qualified to give such advice.

I will continue looking into what is the healthiest recommendation for my personal weight loss plan. You would think if what I was logging on this app was so wrong, it would let you know, but low and behold, I'm getting badges instead. 🤷‍♀️
  • skeletalplatypi
    skeletalplatypi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read that going, wait, is that me?? I was the same way. I am also 5'0" and struggled with disordered eating since I was a child. I hit my lowest weight at 18 and was threatened with hospitalization. Then I had a major traumatic experience and something switched.
    I met my now husband after it, we had kids, and after the kids I looked down and realized I had put on so much weight. My highest being 160. I've been working on my eating for about a year before I could really start calorie tracking. My old disordered habits kept coming back while I restricted, then I would go to my "new" disordered habits of binging.
    I would say that I am just now finally at a place where I am able to track without over restricting. I am definitely keeping my calories pretty tight. But I found that if I eat over 1500, it triggers binges. Just like eating under 1100 triggers restricting. I still have my days where I eat over or eat under, but they are so few compared to my past. It is a constant struggle daily.
  • AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    Thank you so much for this reply. I needed to hear that I am not alone. I've been SO proud of the 10lbs I've lost so far, but this post has me feeling slightly bad about it now. I never got skinny enough that people threatened me with interventions or anything, but ate just enough to keep some weight on and made sure to eat in front of people if they ever started questioning my eating habits. I don't plan on staying on a low cal diet forever. This is the hard part that I'm going through right now. Once I've lost all the extra lbs, I will be able to up my calories to maintain my weight which is the most exciting part of this journey. I miss pizza. And margaritas. And mexican food, my ulimate weakness. Lol..

Hearing your story has definitely inspired me. I'm so glad you overcame that and live a healthy, happy life. Thank you so much for sharing . ❤
  • AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    Congrats Tiffani! You are killing it! I agree with everything you said. I hit my calories today with HEALTHY food, didn't have any hunger pangs and feel amazing and energized enough to walk on the treadmill! I SO appreciate the responses I've gotten from woman just like me. Being heavy feels miserable at any size, but hearing from other 5'0 woman out there is so encouraging. Thank you for sharing! ❤
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m also 5’. Started at 159.8 on January 1. I weigh myself once a week on Saturday so as of last week I had lost 3.2 lbs, which I think is great for two weeks! I eat between 1300-1400 calories, more if I exercise. I’m pretty sedentary during the week working from home. Going slower on the weight loss helps me stick with it. I get hangry headaches too so if I get too hungry I’ll binge.
  • golfclubteeball
    golfclubteeball Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I know you can do it and YOU know you can do it. Recall the hard work and conditioning you must have done for cheerleading. Make this a high priority. Commit to it for a month. Allow no excuses. Then evaluate the results.

I started Jan. 7 and have lost 5 pounds. Due to high blood pressure I started on the DASH diet (recommended by American Heart Association) and also doing cardio.

MFP has helped in planning meals to ensure the correct balance between carb, fat and protein. For the DASH diet it is 55% carb, 27% fat, 18% protein. My goal is 50%, 25%, 20%. The most IMPORTANT lesson I've learned is making sure every meal has a BALANCE between those 3 macro-nutrients. (FYI DASH also stresses lower sodium.) MFP does require Premium subscription to see carbs, fat and protein in percentages. That's been very helpful. I do have disappointments in other areas of MFP (but that's off-topic).

This diet may change your life. I wish you great success.
  • AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    Jpedno, thanks for sharing. I'm also working from home which has been a daily steps killer so I've been walking around my house and up and down the stairs. Gotta do what we gotta do! Lol Congrats on your weight loss, you're doing great!! I get the whole hangry binge thing. I keep low cal snacks around to fight off those urges. The weight watchers shop sells some YUMMY chocolate bars that are only 60 cals and seriously tastes like chocolate. Their little shop was an awesome find as I'm not a member but was able to get loaded up on guilt free snacks! Good luck to you on your journey!!