Metabolic confusion

Who has tried eating in a manner that is supposed to result in “metabolic confusion”? How did it work for you?

Thanks

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    TLDR: I've apparently been confusing the heck out of my metabolism for over a year (😏) and it has worked for me. I eat what I want while maintaining a calorie deficit and moving my body more.

ditto. only make it 5 years LOLOL
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    My daily calorie intake varies by hundreds (say +/- 300 regularly, +/- a thousand and more occasionally), but not via some kind of formal, structured plan (unless you count the MFP method of eating more when one exercises as formal & structured, when augmented with the occasional high-calorie indulgent day just for pure enjoyment's sake).

I lost weight just fine calorie counting (with somewhat fewer truly whacky indulgent days in the mix), and have maintained weight just fine for 5+ years since (doing what I described in paragraph 1). I don't like arbitrary rules, so I haven't added any, beyond averaging a reasonable calorie number, and getting overall decent nutrition.

Bottom line: Did I confuse my metabolism by eating unevenly? Dunno. But I wasn't trying. I don't try to confuse things I appreciate just as they are.

On the surface, it strikes me as one of those tricksy things that "diet experts" push in order to overcomplicate things so we think we need expert help (preferably theirs, for $$) to manage our weight, health and athletic performance. The WD article didn't say anything to make me change that belief.

Do you have sources that you feel are sound, that you can share with us for review, @KristieJC? I'm certainly open to learning things that could be helpful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Lol, the only thing that gets confused is the person trying to figure out how that actually works. All your body does with the food/drink intakes is digest it and absorb nutrients and macros you give it. Unless you're an elite athlete where timing of food MAY matter, the average person just needs to be consistent with there eating habits and calories to gain/lose/maintain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I confused my metabolism today by ordering four pots of totally amazing liquorice convered in chocolate: cocoa powder, white chocolate with passionfruit, coffee, and salt & caramel. And my metabolism is so confused that it's telling my brain to eat everything at once.