I'm having trouble with my macros!

Hey all! So I've been seeing a trainer who wants me to get reach 1900 calorie intake with 190g Protein and Carbs while staying at 60g of fat and I want to stay below 35g of sugar. I'm really struggling with this and I would love some help.

Replies

• shalacepayne
    shalacepayne Posts: 1 Member
    Wooh! That will definitely be a challenge 190g of protein! Supplements such as protein powder will definitely help. However you will still need to incorporate high protein foods in your diet. Does your trainer give you meal plans?

I am currently in the process of increasing my protein intake also. Try increasing the (lean) meats in your meals. Snacking on nuts, jerky, eggs, cottage cheese (all pretty high in protein).
  • dchuch91
    dchuch91 Posts: 7 Member
    He doesn't give me a meal plan. I mean for the most part I've been trying to eat alot of protein but I'm also trying to stay really low in fat and sugar. Carbs for the most part I've been able to wrap my head around and I just ordered some protein powder so I think that will help alot but for today I'm severely under.
  • dchuch91
    edited January 2021
    If I could, I'd just eat fish constantly, that seems to be the best option really. But I definitely will look at that when I some more time!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member
    As you'll see, there are many more options than fish ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Not trying to be mean but what makes you think your trainer's advice is good advice?
    Many exercise professionals don't have any formal nutritional training and their opinions can tend to be a bit peculiar TBH.

If you gave your stats, diet and exercise aims you might get some very different views. Some of which might also be a bit peculiar of course!

Generally though I'd say if you are struggling then for adherence alone it may not be a good choice.
  • dchuch91
    @sijomial what stats in particular? I don't think you're being mean at all, this is all new to make :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited January 2021
    I think sijomial is asking your height, weight, age, gender, Goal for being under this trainer's guidance (weight loss, muscle gain, etc.) and your current calorie intake goal.

I agree with everyone else...190g of protein and 60g of fat is going to take focus. That protein thread above and some good supplements will be your friends. I think fish (seafood) was mentioned because a lot of it is low fat and high protein. Also good would be white meat turkey and chicken.
  • dchuch91
    Ahh okay! I'm 29 years old, 6'1 sitting at 195. My goal is to lose weight but I want to put that back on as muscle and sit around 190.

Isn't it bad to eat alot of fish though?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    190g protein is 760, 60g fat is 540, so you'd need 150g of carbs to reach your 1900 goal and if you subtract 35g of sugar then the other 125g comes from what sources? Assuming you're up or over 200lbs. and male? As for protein, I like meats to fulfill my protein and eat some everyday at least twice, but then again I have no heart, cholesterol or blood pressure issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dchuch91

190g protein is 760, 60g fat is 540, so you'd need 150g of carbs to reach your 1900 goal and if you subtract 35g of sugar then the other 125g comes from what sources?

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm doing, that's what I made this post asking for help. It's all new to me and its discouraging me from what I want to do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    Ahh okay! I'm 29 years old, 6'1 sitting at 195. My goal is to lose weight but I want to put that back on as muscle and sit around 190.

Isn't it bad to eat alot of fish though?

At 195lbs and your height I see where the trainer is coming from as regards protein, that's not a way out suggestion to be between 1g per pound of total weight and 1g per pound of estimated lean mass.
    My biggest issue would be with such a low calorie allowance, a higher calorie allowance gives you more food options.

I bet you could lose weight successfully with a much higher allowance. Big deficits/fast rate of loss are rarely a good idea for someone with goals of training effectively and retaining/adding muscle. If the idea is very short term then it's not such an issue but that depends on your initial weight goal.

Assuming your trainer has given you a same every day goal putting your stats into this TDEE calculator could be an interesting comparison for you.
    https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • dchuch91
    @sijomial I think I'm missing a big portion of my back story as well.

I'm a server/ bartender who averagely works around 32 hours a week 4-6 shifts week at a very busy restaurant. Before starting this journey 10 days ago I was eating one meal a day at the restaurant, 2-*3 fast food meals on my days off while surviving on carbonated drinks.
    Outside of work I recently started doing some at home workouts and in the next few days I plan on doing a some walking at the park near my house. I'm not overweight but more of a "skinny" fat that is looking to lose the few extra pounds, start gaining muscle mass and overall just having better general health.

I've seen in the past week that the macros are somewhat easily obtainable and I haven't been starving myself. I feel like the 1700-2100 calories I've been intaking have honestly greatly helped rather than the 1 meal I was eating before. I'm really just trying to narrow on what exactly I am doing with my dietary and the fluctuating amounts between the macros I'm hitting and missing are starting to discourage me from my overall goals. I don't understand if I'm supposed to 100% be hitting every macro with success or if it's okay to be a little over or a little under. But I highly doubt I'm supposed to be (hypothetical example) 30g over my carbs and 60g under my protein but while being over in fat and under in sugar.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    I wouldn't stress the macros too much. It's a bit of a Rubik's Cube to figure out, there is a learning curve.

For weight management the most important bit is getting your calories to be consistent and trackable.

I agree that you likely could/should eat a lot more. With an active job and your current stats, go to that sailrabbit site and see what it tells you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Your calories/macros are almost exactly the same as mine and Iโ€™m 5โ€™9, female and almost 46 years old. Seems too low IMO.

To meet my protein goal for the day, my breakfast has to be protein packed. I usually eat non-fat Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and frozen berries. My current favorite is Trutein Lemon Meringue protein powder and frozen raspberries. (Allow the berries to thaw ๐Ÿ˜‰). I also do chocolate/strawberry, vanilla/blueberry, etc, etc. I usually get 40-50 grams of protein at breakfast.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    1700-2100 seems low to me, too, for a young man of your activity level (server/bartender, not to mention workouts) who has goals focusing on muscle gain with a little weight loss (I'm recognizing there's a difference between weight loss and fat loss, BTW).

I admit I'm a good li'l ol' calorie burner for some reason, but even I lose slowly at 2100-ish on days I exercise . . . as a 65-year old woman, 5'5", 125ish pounds, sedentary outside of exercise.

Losing fat fast - other than maybe for a *very* short time - would be counter-productive to your goals, IMO. It seems like your TDEE ought to be at least in the 2400-2500 region, so maybe 2100 is not *crazy* low, but 1700 . . . ?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2021
    ๐Ÿ˜Š