I need jackfruit ideas

Hey all I’m vegetarian I want to try to eat some jackfruit. Any ideas?

Replies

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    You can eat jackfruit in lots of ways. What is your goal from putting more jackfruit in your diet? It’s not a great protein source if you are looking for replacements for meat, but it’s a very versatile fruit and popular at the moment so lots of choices available.

You can eat it it as a sweet fruit or as a savory meat replacement.

You can buy it prepared, either canned or in the chilled section - usually near the tofu. Mostly I see it prepared in the chilled aisle as a meat replacement, often styled as pulled pork. If you like that sort of thing then give it a try.

You can also buy the unprepared fruit in some grocery stores and prepare it yourself, but that’s a bit of a faff if you’re looking for convenience items.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited January 2021
    Green jackfruit or ripe jackfruit?

Many people like to use green jackfruit as a sort of pulled-pork substitute, so with BBQ sauce and whatnot. (It doesn't taste like pork, but it's mildly sweet and shreddy, so it's tasty in some of the pulled-pork similar ways).

Hereabouts, one can buy it (health food stores, some big grocery stores) pre-sauced in various ways, or it's available (by searching) canned, maybe in Asian markets.

Ripe jackfruit, IMO, is more useful just as a fruit, and is tasty. A whole jackfruit is *huge*, I dunno, 20 pounds? Maybe not quite that much, but really big. The local produce market (in my midsized city) and Whole Foods sometimes sell slices of it, which is more manageable to try.

Note: It's often described as a meat substitute for plant based eaters, but in itself has *very* little protein.