Logging exercise

Afternoon
I use a fitbit tracker and have noticed the calorie burn is higher than recorded in MFP through steps but I don’t log them in MFP should I log every walk/run in MFP ??

Thanks

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    no calorie burn is going to be exact, so keep that in mind.

you do not need to log exercise in mfp if you use an activity tracker.

I can tell you what I do and for ME, it works (everyone is different and calorie burn estimates from the trackers are very close for some- like me- and very OFF for others. it takes time to see how you play into that).

I go by the fitbit calories burned. I do like to see my workouts in mfp, so I do add it in my diary, but then change the number of burned calories to '1', that way it doesn't 'double count' the exercise. the mfp calorie burn estimate is ALWAYS higher than my fitbit (again, for ME).

when starting, eat back roughly half the calories burned. do this for 2-3 weeks. It will give you an idea and starting point of how accurate it is. If you are losing more than anticipated (don't forget the first week or two there may be a fair amount of water weight loss), then you can eat back a bit more. If you are losing less than anticipated, eat back a bit fewer.

Personally, I don't tend to eat back many. My calories are set at a level (1500) to where there's not much I cant have if I want to. If I am starving, or simply want to fit in something I might not otherwise, then I will. It gives me a bit of wiggle room for a variety of circumstances. The past 2 weeks have been insane around here with various problems and issues and I haven't gotten to the gym. Even my eating hasn't been stellar. but I still lost a pound over the past week and 3 pounds over the past 2 weeks. it really just takes time and a bit of data collection to see how your body responds to different things.