Confused on how many calories I need

ally74boxtop
ally74boxtop Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I've used the calculator but I'm pretty confused as I was told that I need to be eating 1500 calories for me to lose weight because I weightlift. I don't lift weights that heavy, only 3.5kg dumbbells and do a range of workouts for an hour or so. I burn roughly 200+ calories or so, to maintain my weight, I need to get 1800 calories so to lose I need to get 1200+

Do I add the 200+ calories to the 1200? Or just keep it at 1200-1300?

Replies

• amie709
    amie709 Posts: 99
    dw
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    If you're going by mfp settings then yes,eat back exercise calories since
    The deficit is already built in without exercise.
    If you don't like that then look into tdee minus a certain percentage.
    With that method you eat the same amount everyday regardless of exercise, but
    You're still always at a deficit.
    Good luck!
  • I don't like to spend any more time on calculations than is necessary, so I set my MFP profile at "sedentary," even though I lift as well. (I also do Pilates, cardio, and don't sit still very often.) Then, I log all of my exercise & activity and eat the calories back.

Start where you feel comfortable, play around with it, and do what works for you.

(I know I'm not doing everything "right," but calorie counting comes with an estimated 20% margin of error . . . and I've been maintaining for years - living proof that perfection isn't necessary.)

I wish you every success!
  • DeeBuss
    DeeBuss Posts: 6 Member
    An adult female should not go below 1500 cals, 1800 for a male, or you will run the risk of metabolic damage and set yourself up for rapid weight gain. I did the calculator and it recommended 1900 for me, but i've steadily lost 2 pounds a week at 2200.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Like a lot of people have already said; add your exercise calories to your daily allowance.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    An adult female should not go below 1500 cals, 1800 for a male, or you will run the risk of metabolic damage and set yourself up for rapid weight gain. I did the calculator and it recommended 1900 for me, but i've steadily lost 2 pounds a week at 2200.

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is correct. The minimum daily allowance is 1200, and around 1500 calories a day would result in 2 pounds of weight loss per week. Your loss could be the result of other factors, such as a reduced sodium intake that limits water retention.
This discussion has been closed.