Good spaghetti entry on MFP??

I'm looking for a good comparison entry on MFP homemade spaghetti which is a pretty common staple in our house so I'd like to be somewhat accurate though certainly doesn't have to be exact!

I'm talking 90/10 beef, spaghetti noodles & regular spaghetti sauce.

As with so many things the options are all over the map on MFP in terms of calories and serving size, I find it easiest to measure by the cup.

Any help much appreciated!!

Replies

• sdcooper9
    sdcooper9 Posts: 18 Member
    I wouldn't trust the database for something like that, personally. It can vary so much from person to person - what kind of meat are you using, are you adding fat to your sauce, what kind of pasta are you using, are you adding cheese at any point, are you putting any other vegetables in it, what kind of tomatoes, etc, etc. I would just create your own recipe and log that. I'd also strongly recommend getting a food scale, if you aren't using one already, and weighing out both your ingredients and your servings. Once you have the recipe built, it's almost trivial to go in and update it if you make it slightly differently the next time - I know I never make a dish exactly the same way twice, and usually the differences are minor enough not to matter all that much, but I'd rather know that for sure than assume.

For example, I have chili on the stove right now. I weighed out all my ingredients, updated the recipe I had from the last time I made this chili, and when it's done I'll weigh the finished product and figure out serving size from there. Right now my recipe is set to "per 100g" - last time, I made 1550g of chili all told and I had plans to use it in multiple ways (as a dinner main and as components in meal-prepped burritos, which worked amazingly well), so I set it to 155 servings as I wanted to be able to quantify different serving sizes. This time I might reset the servings to 4, since I'm planning to divide all of this chili evenly among 4 containers to have for dinner tonight and tomorrow. Might be 6, we'll see how much it cooks down.

I appreciate your reply but I'm just not as dedicated to being precise as you are. Which is why I came here to ask for a recommendation for an entry that may be somewhat close
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2021
    How many servings do you make from a box of spaghetti (16 oz) or give us the size if different? I would make 8 servings, but my sis would only make 4, so that's pretty important.

Same with a jar of sauce. How many servings per jar? I think most jars are 24 oz, but some are smaller or larger.

And how much beef per serving? 1 lb for 4 servings? Or something else?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2021
    What is regular spaghetti sauce? How much do you use? How much noodles do you use? Do you drain the fat from the meat?

More info will help with selecting any random entry.

Right...all of this, plus how much meat do you cook with it? I think it's going to be hard for someone here to give a recommendation when we have no idea how much of each ingredient you use, what type of sauce (some pasta sauces can be 45 calories per serving, and others can be 150 + calories!) and how big your portions are.

It would really make more sense to put each item in individually, at the very least (meat, specific brand of sauce, noodles, plus any oils or cheeses..).
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited January 2021
    Whenever I eat out, I use the entry: Restaurant, Italian, spaghetti with meat sauce.
  • sdcooper9
    Whenever I eat out, I use the entry: Restaurant, Italian, spaghetti with meat sauce.

Thank you for actually having an answer!
  • sdcooper9
    edited January 2021
    Thank you all for your detailed responses. This question accounts for 2-3 meals out of at least 90 that I eat in a given month. Which is why I'm not going to the lengths of getting a food scale.

I had thought that other people on this website might eat spaghetti as well from time to time and might be willing to share with me what they log on MFP when they eat spaghetti.

As I said in my original post it is three ingredients:

1lb of 90/10 beef bought from Kroger
    Larosa's brand original pasta sauce (24oz)
    Creamette brand enriched spaghetti noodles (16oz)

Yes the fat is drained..... I don't know how many servings are made because my wife cooks each of the items and we serve ourselvs... For me I'd estimate probably approximately 2 cups
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2021
    sdcooper9 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good comparison entry on MFP homemade spaghetti which is a pretty common staple in our house so I'd like to be somewhat accurate though certainly doesn't have to be exact!

I'm talking 90/10 beef, spaghetti noodles & regular spaghetti sauce.

As with so many things the options are all over the map on MFP in terms of calories and serving size, I find it easiest to measure by the cup.

Any help much appreciated!!

Use the recipe builder. Any entry in the database for "spaghetti" is just going to be some other users recipe which may or may not be anything close to your recipe. People use different ingredients...more or less oil...more or less meat, etc.

Really, it comes down to how accurate you want to be with things. I've used those kind of entries in the database when lazy logging without much issue...but I also have a reasonably high TDEE and have a good bit of wiggle room in my calorie targets for losing weight. YMMV...any entry for "spaghetti" from the database is just going to be a shot in the dark as you really have no idea what went into it.