Anyone using nutritional ketosis for type 2 diabetes?

Options
I am starting a medically supervised keto program, called Virta. It is one of several wellness programs through my insurance. They sent me supplies and I start on wed. They provided information and I feel.preparef. I have already reduced my carb intake, some.

I was wondering if anyone else is doing keto for diabetes control

I am.hoping to be lose weight and possibly have my medication reduced

Replies

• bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I wasn't technically diagnosed with it but was warned by my GP I was well on the way to develop type 2 diabetes. I was massively overweight struggling with high blood pressure I felt awful. By the advice of my friends I started to do keto, and it did help me. Not only did I lose substantial weight my blood pressure normalised as well and I feel great, diabetes is off the cards at least for now. Mind you after a few months of keto I started to do intermittent fasting 16/8, 36 hour fasting regimes combined with keto, and that is when biggest change started to kick in. Keto will help you control your insulin level better and you will lose weight as well. Long term I think that getting rid off this awful condition is not impossible if you stick to your diet. When you are used to your keto diet, it will take time, look into the world of intermittent fasting and fasting. Controversial very debated but highly effective methods to improve health.
  • callriter
    callriter Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of VIRTA, but after a crazy high A1c on Nov 30th, I just eliminated processed foods and started eating tons of fresh vegetables and smaller meat portions. I've lost 20 pounds and after only 1 month my A1c was down 4 points. That's what is working for me, but every person is different. Like the above poster said, listen to what your doctor tells you. That's what I did and it seems to be working.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Nice seeing you back! My insurance offers VIRTA among other health goal support programs also. I’m interested to hear your observations about it. Wishing you the best!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing keto, but I have reduced my carbs and try to keep under 130g a day, which is the number suggested by Diabetes UK.

Counting / cutting my calories is what helped me lose weight though. I'm sure I could overeat on protein (especially cheese), nuts, oil in cooking etc., even on low carbs.

I know keto is much much lower ,but even at 130g a day I've reduced my A1c back to a level that is below the pre-diabetes range. Whether it's just the carb counting or the weight loss as well that has brought my sugar levels down, I don't know and I don't intend to increase either to find out.
  • hulldon1
    hulldon1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Started Keto on 2-Jan-21. Fasting blood sugar was 10.3 mmol/L. My carb intake was <20g daily. Thankfully I am not diabetic but had a close shave as I am a sugar-holic. Yes I can still eat 5 custard donoughts but do not now have runaway blood sugar the next day. Lol. Anyway, 6-Jan-21 fasting blood sugar 5.9 mmol/L and has been in the normal range since. In fact one day I was feeling ill so took a blood sugar reading as I was fasting for a day. My blood sugar had dropped to 3.7 mmol/L. Hope this gives you an idea of the impact and you will be losing weight as well. I do recommend you move though. It is your body muscle that consume the blood sugar and if it is high enough fat is stored in your muscles preventing muscle efficiency. Exercising gets rid of that fat making burning the sugar more efficient.
  • CBooth5033
    CBooth5033 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just jumping in to say I started Virta on January 18th. I don't have diabetes but high blood pressure with a high BMI. I like that I have a health coach and doctor reviewing my information and it helps to keep me accountable. I have already lost a bit of weight and have really changed my eating habits. It is a bit hard on some days, but I have become pretty accustomed to the change already. My blood pressure is lowering and I have had my glucose levels within check each day. I wish you the best of luck on the program!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,055 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in 2019 when I was hospitalized for the flu/pneumonia ...fast forward I am now off all diabetes meds/insulin ...my A1c is now at 6.2 from 11+ and I am now considered pre-diabetic ... I just came back to keto on Jan. 1st after upping my carbs to over 100g and eating things like rice ..pasta etc. and dealing with migraines ...wishing you much success :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    hulldon1 wrote: »
    Started Keto on 2-Jan-21. Fasting blood sugar was 10.3 mmol/L. My carb intake was <20g daily. Thankfully I am not diabetic but had a close shave as I am a sugar-holic. Yes I can still eat 5 custard donoughts but do not now have runaway blood sugar the next day. Lol. Anyway, 6-Jan-21 fasting blood sugar 5.9 mmol/L and has been in the normal range since. In fact one day I was feeling ill so took a blood sugar reading as I was fasting for a day. My blood sugar had dropped to 3.7 mmol/L. Hope this gives you an idea of the impact and you will be losing weight as well. I do recommend you move though. It is your body muscle that consume the blood sugar and if it is high enough fat is stored in your muscles preventing muscle efficiency. Exercising gets rid of that fat making burning the sugar more efficient.

Experientially, you're reasoning from what you've observed in a body with normal sugar metabolism (non-diabetic) to what would occur in a body with non-normal sugar metabolism. That's tenuous reasoning. And of course blood sugar will increase and decrease with changes in intake.

The bolded is not how human bodies work. Muscles use glycogen (which is essentially a sugar), but that part about fat in the muscles? Nah, I don't think so.

Exercise is good, though, sure.

Losing weight does seem to reduce severity of T2 diabetics' symptoms and reduce need for medications, for many. I'm not diabetic either, but since the mainstream authorities and many success stories here support that conclusion, I feel fairly confident that that's correct.
  • bubus05
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hi Lori, nice to see you back. I hope the program you are starting will be helpful. Just want to point out, please listen to your doctor’s advice and not the above poster especially the bit about fasting. You’ve been here long enough to know bogus replies when you see it. Best wishes.

1hsj9thcrbqu.gif
    Bogus replies ehh? What part? Keto and especially fasting do lower one's insulin level and blood sugar-is there an argument there? . In fact when it comes to fasting the thing one has to be extra careful about is that the level of sugar in the blood might drop too much, but that can be checked and controlled. If you are struggling with type 2 diabetes lowering the blood sugar and losing weight can only be beneficial. But I didn't even suggest doing fasting I merely suggested looking into it. Every single thing i wrote is factual, I did lose a lot of weight my blood pressure normalised. Fasting is nothing to be afraid off, it may cure diabetes it may not, it won't hurt you, chances are it will improve one's condition.
  • bubus05
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    bubus05 wrote: »
    Hi Lori, nice to see you back. I hope the program you are starting will be helpful. Just want to point out, please listen to your doctor’s advice and not the above poster especially the bit about fasting. You’ve been here long enough to know bogus replies when you see it. Best wishes.

1hsj9thcrbqu.gif
    Bogus replies ehh? What part? Keto and especially fasting do lower one's insulin level and blood sugar-is there an argument there? . In fact when it comes to fasting the thing one has to be extra careful about is that the level of sugar in the blood might drop too much, but that can be checked and controlled. If you are struggling with type 2 diabetes lowering the blood sugar and losing weight can only be beneficial. But I didn't even suggest doing fasting I merely suggested looking into it. Every single thing i wrote is factual, I did lose a lot of weight my blood pressure normalised. Fasting is nothing to be afraid off, it may cure diabetes it may not, it won't hurt you, chances are it will improve one's condition.

Fasting will not 'cure' T2D. There is no 'cure' for T2D... it can be controlled with diet and exercise to the point that you are no longer symptomatic, but once you have gone down that road, you will always be just a few steps from being diabetic for the rest of your life.

As for the chance that fasting will improve one's condition - here's the other side of that coin... My wife is overweight and has reactive hypoglcemia, which means that if she doesn't eat every 2-3 hours, she has massive blood sugar crashes that leave her shaking and unable to function. For her, fasting would be a VERY bad choice to make, so no, fasting should NOT be recommended for everyone and it definitely is not a cure-all for what ails people.

I would argue a lot off people with T2D would be happy if they are no longer symptomatic, one could even call it a 'cure'. Most people are but from a few steps from being diabetic with wrong unhealthy diet, what's your point.
    Fasting is obviously not for everyone, yes it will lower one's blood sugar, and for some it could lead to a disaster unchecked uncontrolled, but for people with T2D it could mean the difference between symptomatic or un-symptomatic.
  • betthouston
    betthouston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori! I just (re)joined MFP and searched for Virta, as I’m a new client with them. I hope you’re finding success with the plan.

I am a Kaiser patient and Kaiser has no support available that’s even remotely close to Virta, only an old, grain heavy, outdated program for weight loss. My own primary Doc says she ‘doesn’t know anything’ about keto so she can’t recommend it. 🤷🏼‍♀️Sigh. I joined Virta independently and pay out of pocket, so far so good!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    @betthouston hello. Nice to meet you. I have been on Virta over 6 months. My last labs were really good and I was able to get off one medicine, Januvia. I still take metformin. That was in June. I was losing, slowly, but have stalled since then.
  • betthouston
    betthouston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you too, Lori 😊
    That sounds like you’ve had good results! I think ‘stalling’ happens frequently with any plan. Over the years I’ve read and heard about the same path in other people. It is a common complaint. It seems to be a bodies evolutionary, natural reaction to changes like the ones we are making. Things change and progress is made in us, and then the body may slow down and hang on tight for a while (such accurate medical terms, huh? LOL) and then things start to move again in the future. I hope that is true for you! Take care