Menstrual cycle and maintenance calories

I've decided to experiment this month and log at maintenance but still do light exercise like dog walk most days, bit of cycling to get to and from places.

Everyday stuff rather than putting on an intentional workout video and hitting the weights. I'm starting to lack motivation unfortunately so I feel like this is a good time for a break. I'm not eating the exercise calories. (there's not a massive amount anyway).

Has anyone else done this and had it destress them a little about weight loss? I have difficult, painful periods and I'm focusing on a lot right not so I thought a break was in order.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2021
    depending on how much weight you have to lose/ how long you've been actively losing... a break can be good for the mind. many people take intentional breaks. Some women do so during their cycle.

The only thing you need to watch is that (assuming you want to continue losing weight) your diet break doesn't turn to a full stop. Because that is easy to do.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    depending on how much weight you have to lose/ how long you've been actively losing... a break can be good for the mind. many people take intentional breaks. Some women do so during their cycle.

The only thing you need to watch is that (assuming you want to continue losing weight) your diet break doesn't turn to a full stop. Because that is easy to do.

Good for the mind, as well as the body!

This thread could be interesting:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Aside from that, I have sometimes consumed more calories (usually maintenance) when my period is particularly bad. It's good to be flexible and listen to your body.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Great info there thanks. Yeah I think a break will refresh me. I'll listen to my body 😊

If anything, I think making it easier for a while will keep me from giving up. I've never done mfp for this long (2-3months) before and it's working so I don't want to quit!

Still have 26 pounds to lose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Yes, due to large uterine fibroids that cause very heavy bleeding, I have horrendous periods as well so cut myself some slack at this time too.

Do you practice yoga? Here are some poses said to be good for the female reproductive system. (I am making no claims myself about this.)

https://www.pristyncare.com/blog/best-yoga-exercises-for-a-uterus-pc0441/
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    A maintenance break sounds like a really smart idea. Good on you. Enjoy it!