Colorado Springs, Colorado

Options
Hey there! Wanted to start a thread for the locals of Colorado Springs!! Please feel free to post about anything if you call Colorado Springs home.

I'll start off with a few questions of my own. Now that I'm counting calories, I'm finding it hard to find calorie info for restaurant food.

Fellow Colorado peeps:

-What restaurants do you recommend that serve healthy, but delicious food in Colorado Springs?

-What local or chain restaurants have calorie info listed on their menus and/or online that you know of?

***bonus points for restaurants who list calories in their printed paper temporary menus due to covid*** On the Border, I'm talking about you! You make me proud!! 🤗

Replies

• Colorado1runner
    Colorado1runner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Colorado springs here too, its hard enjoying a night out and finding healthy
  • AnonymouslyFree
    AnonymouslyFree Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know! I've only found a few places that list calorie info on their menus. I wish it was required!
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Colorado Springs here. My favorite hang out restaurant is Fuzzy’s, they do list calories on their menu board. Just watch out for the drinks haha.

• AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    Oh good to know! Thank you!! I ate at a Mexican restaurant in springs this weekend and of course MFP doesn't have it in their database so I tried to wing it with calculating my calories....prrrrrettty sure I ate wayyyyy more than I calculated. It's so much easier if they just list it! Thanks for the info though!
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Oh good to know! Thank you!! I ate at a Mexican restaurant in springs this weekend and of course MFP doesn't have it in their database so I tried to wing it with calculating my calories....prrrrrettty sure I ate wayyyyy more than I calculated. It's so much easier if they just list it! Thanks for the info though!

Yeah, Mexican is the hardest here, so many locally owned authentic places, but none list their calories. I usually try to match up what I get to a chai place like On the Border and just estimate.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »

Yeah, Mexican is the hardest here, so many locally owned authentic places, but none list their calories. I usually try to match up what I get to a chai place like On the Border and just estimate.

Not Colorado Springs, but we have a couple local Mexican places we enjoy. When calorie counting I try to pick things I enjoy like steak Fajitas that are easier to estimate because the components are separate. We got takeout on Saturday and for kicks I weighed every component of the fajitas that went on my plate, plus the 2oz of Queso and 1.6oz of chips I ate, then just picked a chain place with calories for their individual components and used those, then quick added 10% to cover any differences, mostly in the steak portion.

It was delicious
  • AnonymouslyFree
    Options
    Holy moly, that sounds like a lot of work, but good for you!!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Holy moly, that sounds like a lot of work, but good for you!!

Assuming you meant me, it wasn't really. I'd have had to plate my food anyway as the various components came in separate containers. All I did was put my plate on the scale and zero between ingredients *shrugs*
  • GeekDadCS
    GeekDadCS Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi there. A little to the party, but just moved here in September. Anyone have any hiking recommendations?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,997 Member
    Options
    Welcome home, @malevolentmuse. Plenty of nice hikes available around here.

Are you military, or otherwise have access to the USAF Academy? They have multiple trails there in the 5+ mile range with some definite elevation changes, good 3 or 4 out of 5 in difficulty. Haven't hiked them all, but at least one leads to a picturesque lake for a great picnic.

If you take I-25 to exit 139 Cimmaron and head west towards the mountains, after a few miles drive you'll see a large parking lot on your left (south). (If you get to the twisty part of the road following the gap between two mountains, you've gone too far.) That's the starting point for a nice 5 mile hiking loop. There are a few places where the trail diverges, presumably into other trails which also loop, but I've not taken those so cannot testify to their length nor challenge level. The primary one is maybe a 1 or 2 out of 5, easy enough for kids and makes for a very nice family outing.

Garden of the Gods has a variety of hiking trails of various lengths and challenge ratings.

For healthy but delicious food, hard to beat Pita Pit. They've closed down the one in downtown Springs, but the one in the gas station at Dublin/Powers is still open, albeit as a takeout not a sit down. But lots of veggies, a variety of meats, and all for only 300-500 calories (plus sauces like mayo or whatnot). Sure, in some ways it's basically Subway with pitas instead of bread (which is a huge calorie savings), but it's hot and flavorful.