Carb Cycling?

Options
Has anyone tried carb cycling and have a recommended link / schedule to try? I am at a healthy weight and am doing a little recomp. Just watched a brief video about this recently.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What is the attraction of it for you OP?

Beware that there is a lot of woo around the concept from YouTube "gurus" with a very poor grasp of physiology.
    Could you share the video you have seen if you would like feedback on it?

There are some benefits to it but IMHO more appropriate for some serious athletes (especially endurance athletes who might be trying to improve fat oxidation rates) plus nutrient timing/manipulating generally tends to be more significant when someone is dieting with a restricted intake compared to someone maintaining.

I must confess I'm a bit skeptical about the benefits and impact of someone manipulating their carb intake day to day when they may have loads of glycogen (carbs) onboard. Skimming and refilling just the top of a bucketful of energy is something I'm dubious will have much positive impact.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I will try to find the video. Mostly I am just curious. The premise was that low carb over time causes your body to release less of a specific hormone that burns fat. So by bouncing between low carb and high carb, you force the body to produce a lot of it on a high day then it burns a lot of fat the following days because you have dropped carbs consumption again. I am definitely not prepping for a body building competition nor do I desire to!