Microwave egg steamer

Options
I like to steam a dozen eggs at a time for meal prep. I usually cook them on the stovetop, but I'm seeking a faster method.

Please share your experiences with microwave egg steamers. Results, recommendations, etc. Thank you for your input.

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've used a microwave egg poacher and a microwave omelet maker, but not a microwave shell-on steamer. Since you are cooking eggs for meal prep, what's the hurry? Both steaming and hard boiling a dozen eggs only takes about 17 minutes (including the 5 minutes to bring up the boil) and involves little effort or clean-up. IMO, the stove-top method yields much more reliable and consistent results and I'm not convinced that cooking an entire carton of eggs in the microwave will save you much time.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Not a microwave steamer, but I have a Dash electric steamer. Mine does 6 at a time, but I believe there are versions that do a dozen. It takes about 15 minutes, and is very easy with no real cleanup. It's consistent in the cooking process, and they peel easily after they cool.

Besides hard-boiled, you can use it to make soft-boiled, poached, or omelets.

The only tricky part is that you have to poke a pinhole in the top of each egg so they don't explode. They give you a tool to do this, but you have to be careful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I make hard boiled eggs while I am doing other things in the kitchen so don't care about the time and can fuss with getting the right amount of simmer on this picky electric stove. (Am happy to be moving to a place with a gas stove!)

Since I've switched to the "hot start" method someone here posted years ago, I've had easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I make hard boiled eggs while I am doing other things in the kitchen so don't care about the time and can fuss with getting the right amount of simmer on this picky electric stove. (Am happy to be moving to a place with a gas stove!)

Since I've switched to the "hot start" method someone here posted years ago, I've had easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Hmmm. Thanks. I'm going to try the hot start method. I've always done the cold start, bring to a rolling boil, turn off heat and cover for 12 minutes method.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have an electric range and it takes a few minutes to get a large pot of water to a boil. Then 15 minutes steam time. I have unknowingly been using the "hot start" method. My results with steaming that way have been very good, though. Rarely get an egg that doesn't peel cleanly.

SWMBO mildly complains about the steam in the house, which was my primary reason for considering the microwave. And I can do them outside on the gas camping stove in warmer weather, so it's only a winter time issue.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. 👍

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options