how could i have that much body fat?

Options
124»

Replies

• mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am not 96. on the day i posted this thread i was 97.2. currently i am 98.6. it fluctuates.

Yeah...well, that's still not healthy. And at the range you have replied with, with 102 being your highest, I wonder why you are worried about your body fat. If it's true that you have a baby, then I suggest you seek the help of a professional for your body image issues, if not for yourself, at least for the sake of your child.

Honestly, BF never crossed my mind until I was reading about it here. I then took my measurements and was surprised. Again, not so much about body image, but about health issues. it sounds unhealthy to be carrying around 1/4th your body weight in fat. But as many have indicated, it isn't necessarily unhealthy...and my calculations could be wrong because measurements are not necessarily an accurate way to determine BF%.

I also take seriously the advice received from those about building muscle.

My question truly seemed like a logical inquiry for someone of any weight and height.

Yes, but a logical person would know that a 5'6" at 97.2 lb. person could in no way be carrying around 1/4 of their weight in fat. That in itself says that you are in fact NOT looking at this logically, but instead need to look at why it set off alarm bells in the first place. Please, if you're legit, seek some help.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Fat is definitely not "lost first" if you aren't eating right. If you aren't eating enough while dieting (especially protein) your body will use your muscle for energy and try to store fat as a survival mechanism. You can definitely be 96 pounds, underweight and still 25% BF (which is a normal BF for a woman). You need to lift weights and eat more is the only way to combat "skinny fat" syndrome. I volunteered at a health fair a few months ago doing BF% for patients and some were amazed they could have so much bf and be so skinny. They would ask "so are you saying I need to lose weight?" NOOOO, you need to Gain lean masss in order to bring down your BF%, get it?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm 24% per my scale and 120lbs so I get the frustration. I'm interested in dexa scanning.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    thank you. I am nearly 5'6'' and 97 pounds. I can't believe I have that much fat...isn't fat the first to go? so frustrating. I will check out the sites.

you are under weight I would get help for that because it is more likely mental than physical

I am sure your bady fat is fine

but thanks for coming on here looking for attention

It was a legitimate question based on measurements. but as i said, i took the feedback and realize my bf measurement may be inaccurate...or if it is accurate it isn't necessarily unhealthy. I also said I wasn't going to worry about it anymore, but was thanking those who gave quality input. no reason to put me down.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Fat is definitely not "lost first" if you aren't eating right. If you aren't eating enough while dieting (especially protein) your body will use your muscle for energy and try to store fat as a survival mechanism. You can definitely be 96 pounds, underweight and still 25% BF (which is a normal BF for a woman). You need to lift weights and eat more is the only way to combat "skinny fat" syndrome. I volunteered at a health fair a few months ago doing BF% for patients and some were amazed they could have so much bf and be so skinny. They would ask "so are you saying I need to lose weight?" NOOOO, you need to Gain lean masss in order to bring down your BF%, get it?

thank you. responses like this are helpful and make sense. I appreciate you and everyone who responded with information. It helps me understand my body better.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I think you are confused about what that percentage means, exactly. Percentages are relative to the total, obviously. Since you are 97lbs, 25% of that is about 24lbs. So...you have 24lbs of fat on your body. That's really normal. The problem you have is the other 75% of your weight. The non-fat mass (lean body mass or LBM) is what you need to focus on here. 75% of your total weight is only 72lbs. That's your LBM. Chances are....at 97lbs right now, it's not a great idea to lower your total fat. Instead, what you should focus on is GAINING some LBM or muscle. the higher your LBM gets, the lower your total BF% will be even if you never lose a drop of fat. So...say you eat at a surplus and start lifting all the heavy things and put on 10lbs in the next year of muscle. That would put you at 107lbs total body weight. And let's just say, for arguments sake, you lose no fat in the process...still having 24lbs of body fat....you'd be at 22% body fat without dieting or losing a thing! Make sense??

For another comparison, I'm 5'5" and about 128lbs (give or take). I am about 19% body fat right now. Giving me......24lbs of fat on my body...the same as you! The difference is, I have about 104lbs of LBM on my body.
    As for relative measurements.....last I checked:
    Waist 25.5
    Hips 35
    Thigh 21
    Wanting to add....
    My point being...My measurements are only an inch bigger than you in the waist and a few inches in the hips (I do have a booty, but I can squat like a mo'fo') and I have 30lbs on you. So....yes, it is possible that your body fat % is that high with you being only 97lbs. It's that high because your Lean Mass is so LOW.
    I know the OP already saw this and based on her posts, seems to understand that she should focus on working out to increase LBM. I just wanted to quote this again for anyone else looking through this thread. These posts are so clear and make sense.

Good job, OP, on deciding to join a gym. Remember not to worry when your weight actually increases. Your LBM will be increasing, which is good for you based on your stats. I doubt you'll gain much (if any) actual fat.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I think you are confused about what that percentage means, exactly. Percentages are relative to the total, obviously. Since you are 97lbs, 25% of that is about 24lbs. So...you have 24lbs of fat on your body. That's really normal. The problem you have is the other 75% of your weight. The non-fat mass (lean body mass or LBM) is what you need to focus on here. 75% of your total weight is only 72lbs. That's your LBM. Chances are....at 97lbs right now, it's not a great idea to lower your total fat. Instead, what you should focus on is GAINING some LBM or muscle. the higher your LBM gets, the lower your total BF% will be even if you never lose a drop of fat. So...say you eat at a surplus and start lifting all the heavy things and put on 10lbs in the next year of muscle. That would put you at 107lbs total body weight. And let's just say, for arguments sake, you lose no fat in the process...still having 24lbs of body fat....you'd be at 22% body fat without dieting or losing a thing! Make sense??

For another comparison, I'm 5'5" and about 128lbs (give or take). I am about 19% body fat right now. Giving me......24lbs of fat on my body...the same as you! The difference is, I have about 104lbs of LBM on my body.
    As for relative measurements.....last I checked:
    Waist 25.5
    Hips 35
    Thigh 21
    Wanting to add....
    My point being...My measurements are only an inch bigger than you in the waist and a few inches in the hips (I do have a booty, but I can squat like a mo'fo') and I have 30lbs on you. So....yes, it is possible that your body fat % is that high with you being only 97lbs. It's that high because your Lean Mass is so LOW.
    I know the OP already saw this and based on her posts, seems to understand that she should focus on working out to increase LBM. I just wanted to quote this again for anyone else looking through this thread. These posts are so clear and make sense.

Good job, OP, on deciding to join a gym. Remember not to worry when your weight actually increases. Your LBM will be increasing, which is good for you based on your stats. I doubt you'll gain much (if any) actual fat.

Thank you for that response. it is very encouraging. For someone who hasn't been much for working out her entire life...motivation is hard. My take away is that I should focus on strength training, get enough calories (especially protein) and stay motivated.
  • amie709
    Options
    thank you. I am nearly 5'6'' and 97 pounds. I can't believe I have that much fat...isn't fat the first to go? so frustrating. I will check out the sites.

Just skimming your thread so I might have missed something but depending on how you lose weight (like not eating enough to like starvation point) your body will consume muscle before fat
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Maybe you carry fat in your midsection. You said your waist is 24... I would have expected it to be smaller given your low weight. For some perspective, my waist was 25.5 when I was 130 (I'm 5'9" if it matters).

Also, remember that skinny/thin people can have high body fat percentages.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Maybe you carry fat in your midsection. You said your waist is 24... I would have expected it to be smaller given your low weight. For some perspective, my waist was 25.5 when I was 130 (I'm 5'9" if it matters).

oh, I am definitely an apple shape. I do carry weight in my belly and chest. always have. my legs could be stick thin at 130...but I would be heavy up top.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

oh, I am definitely an apple shape. I do carry weight in my belly and chest. always have. my legs could be stick thin at 130...but I would be heavy up top.

You're narrow all over. Online body fat calculators are inaccurate, so your actual BF % is probably lower.
  • servilia
    Options

You're narrow all over. Online body fat calculators are inaccurate, so your actual BF % is probably lower.

How do you know? The one pic I see of her is with her back turned to the cam.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Does it really matter? The OP is 30lbs+ under weight. Regardless, she needs to add muscle to lower her effective body fat %.
  • servilia
    Options

Does it really matter? The OP is 30lbs+ under weight. Regardless, she needs to add muscle to lower her effective body fat %.

I don't doubt she is underweight. I was just pointing out it's still possible to have a higher body fat % than what you'd expect even when you're underweight.