toning

Options
Now that I have lost most of the weight I’m left with wrinkles and sagging skin. I want to know what you think is better. Using my weights at home or going to the GYM?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Home or gym doesn't matter so long as you have access to the equipment you need. What matters is that you are actually doing a tried and true program. Just willy nilly lifting weights is going to do about jack ****.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Do you have real weights at home, or those little dumbbells?

You need to lift enough weight to tax your muscles if you want them to grow.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    No offense intended here, but hopefully you can appreciate the lesson in your story that others can learn from. The time to start strength training is NOT after you reach your "goal weight." Strength training is one of the few tools that we have at our disposal to assist in preserving muscle while eating a prolonged calorie deficit.

If we don't take the steps to ensure muscle preservation while dieting, we're going to be left a lighter, yet still soft version of our former selves.

Moral of the story: Strength training comes first during a fat loss phase for most people.

Secondly, to your question... it's impossible to say. We have no idea what weights you have at home. It's almost certain that the gym would provide more options as far as equipment goes. But that doesn't necessarily make it better. It all depends on what you have in your home.

Of course it also depends on what will keep you the most consistent. Some people tend to slack when they are working out at home. They thrive in the gym environment. Others are the polar opposite. So it's also about fitting the setting to YOU.
  • tifsimmons91
    tifsimmons91 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm worried that once I lose all my weightbthere will be a lot of sagging skin. Some people tell me right nowni need to focus on cardio then worry about toning after I lose weight ... I want to lose weight and build muscle, but I want it to fall hand in hand.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm worried that once I lose all my weightbthere will be a lot of sagging skin. Some people tell me right nowni need to focus on cardio then worry about toning after I lose weight ... I want to lose weight and build muscle, but I want it to fall hand in hand.

Well read my post again. By and large, one of the biggest mistakes I see made is a singular focus on energy expenditure. Obtaining a great body is about much more than energy in vs. energy out. I mean, it's simple. We've got fat. And we've got muscle. But both variables need to be managed if we're going to reach our goals. When I'm having clients focus on muscle gain, I'm concurrently having them focus on minimizing fat gain. When I'm having clients focus on fat loss, I'm concurrently having them focus on muscle preservation.

Doing anything different is the equivalent of putting gas in your car but forgetting about the oil in my opinion.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Home is a great option because there's no excuse about not being able to get to the gym. But consider if you have enough equipment and if you are confident in your form. Heavy weights with poor form will mess you up. I like both but need the gym to get a really good leg workout in.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have 2,3,5 and 10 lbs weights. That I rarely use. I do use my stepping machine and stationary bike everyday. I also use resistance bands for my arms. I also walk at least 1 hour a day. I do have more muscle then when I started.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I have 2,3,5 and 10 lbs weights. That I rarely use. I do use my stepping machine and stationary bike everyday. I also use resistance bands for my arms. I also walk at least 1 hour a day. I do have more muscle then when I started.

Yeah, you're likely better off hitting the gym unless you are considering upgrading your equipment. At a minimum, you're going to need heavier DBs. Even without knowing your current level of strength, you're going to "run out of road" quickly as your body gets used to the loads you have.

Ideally adjustable DBs go up to 50 or so lbs.

But a good set of them tend to be pretty pricey. So really it comes down to whether or not you want to invest in building out your home selection or not.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    GYM it is then.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Or you could do body weight exercises and not need equipment or a gym :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Or you could do body weight exercises and not need equipment or a gym :)

It's certainly an option. Most people struggle with progression with this option though. At least that's the case in my experience. There are some great resources out there from coaches I seriously respect... like Ross Enamait from rosstraining.com. He puts out some awesome body weight strength training progressions and his books are phenomenal. But still, I think most folks tend to excel with tried and true external load lifting. Just my 2 cents.
  • SandyBeach1982
    Options
    I do both. I do cardio every day 2 times a day and strength training after each workout. One day I do my upper body, next day i do my core, following day I do my lower body...and repeat. You actually burn more calories when you have more muscle in your body. Don't wait until you get to your goal weight or it wont be pretty. Start now.
  • SandyBeach1982
    Options
    [/quote

]I do both. I do cardio every day 2 times a day and strength training after each workout. One day I do my upper body, next day i do my core, following day I do my lower body...and repeat. You actually burn more calories when you have more muscle in your body. Don't wait until you get to your goal weight or it wont be pretty. Start now.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I do both. I do cardio every day 2 times a day and strength training after each workout. One day I do my upper body, next day i do my core, following day I do my lower body...and repeat. You actually burn more calories when you have more muscle in your body. Don't wait until you get to your goal weight or it wont be pretty. Start now.

Just a note for completeness. You also burn more calories when you have more fat on your body as well. :)

And muscle doesn't burn all that much... at least not much relative to what most people assume. I've seen crazy numbers thrown around like 25 or even 50 calories per pound.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I like going to the gym for classes, so i can learn the exercises and the proper form. Then, i can replicate at home.
    Also, i am always more into a gym workout than a home work out. Must be something about the music they play there, lol.