Creatine

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on creatine supplements? Good or Bad. I've been working out pretty seriously for over six months. Dropped 20 pounds of almost all fat and now working on lowering my body fat percentage. My trainer has recommended I try using a creatine supplement. Wanted to get some opinions an recommendations for brands.

Replies

• tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    I am sure people have their views on creatine, whey and other supplements. I did some research when I started taking it, and it seems pretty safe to use in normal doses even over extended time. I’ve looked at expensive, organic whey compounds and inexpensive options as well. I decided on the cheaper version to see what I would feel. After a month of using an Aldi brand ($11 for 2lbs), I can say that it dissolves just fine, it gives a boost prior to a workout, and tastes ok in Almond milk. I am only taking one serving per day, either 15-30 minutes before or after a workout.

Just my experience!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Creatine is well studied, well proven, inexpensive and if you respond to it somewhat effective.
    Suggest you have a read about it on Examine.com for a non-biased guide to what type to buy, dosage etc.
    https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

Personal experience from two trials:
    First time absolutely no response either good or bad. Couldn't tell any difference, could just have been drinking gritty water.
    Second time only noticeable response was an upset stomach.

Could be I simply get enough creatine from my usual foods (I have a big calorie allowance), could be I'm a non-responder. Could be like my wife says that I'm totally insensitive... :noway:

Little reason not to trial it for yourself.

• sijomial
    tbilly20 wrote: »
    I am sure people have their views on creatine, whey and other supplements. I did some research when I started taking it, and it seems pretty safe to use in normal doses even over extended time. I’ve looked at expensive, organic whey compounds and inexpensive options as well. I decided on the cheaper version to see what I would feel. After a month of using an Aldi brand ($11 for 2lbs), I can say that it dissolves just fine, it gives a boost prior to a workout, and tastes ok in Almond milk. I am only taking one serving per day, either 15-30 minutes before or after a workout.

Just my experience!

FYI creatine doesn't need to be timed around workouts, it works by saturation (steady dosage every day) and not by timing.
  • eric13296
    eric13296 Posts: 15 Member
    I love creatine for weight training. It allows a little more intensity in the gym in the form of shorter breaks between sets, less loss in strength from fatigue, and less soreness.
    The negatives are water retention in your muscles which go away when you stop taking it and some people experience stomach issues.
    I do not believe there is a worthwhile difference between the expensive and regular creatine monohydrate.
    But like others said, try to find an unbiased review and decide if it's right for you. I hope this helps you.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I just started taking it today (so the 'loading" phase), so am curious to see if I notice any difference. It does seem to be making me bloated, but it doesn't take a lot for me to get bloated.
  • sijomial
    I just started taking it today (so the 'loading" phase), so am curious to see if I notice any difference. It does seem to be making me bloated, but it doesn't take a lot for me to get bloated.

@Speakeasy76

You don't have to do a loading phase, entirely optional. You will get to the same level of saturation whether you load or not - just takes a little longer if you just do the small every day dosage appropriate for you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Everybody should be taking it regardless of age, gender, etc...

Cheap, effective for the majority of people.

5g daily dosage whenever you can.

You don't have to load as many directions might say so.

Creatine monohydrate is the one I recommend as has shown to be consistent and effective to those who respond.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

@Speakeasy76

You don't have to do a loading phase, entirely optional. You will get to the same level of saturation whether you load or not - just takes a little longer if you just do the small every day dosage appropriate for you.

Good to know, thanks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Dropped 20 pounds of almost all fat and now working on lowering my body fat percentage.

Well, it's irrelevant for fat loss, which is strictly from eating fewer calories than you burn. But it may help with performance goals, like strength & speed. If you choose to take it, i'd wait until you hit a plateau in performance, so you can tell if it's actually working for you (it doesn't work for everyone). Any brand of creatine monohydrate should be fine.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    I have used and like Muscletech Platinum Creatine Monoydrate - Micronized; unflavored.
  • JNason2014
    JNason2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Although it does have it's place and is found to be safe I would question why your trainer would be so quick to add supplements. I would focus on maximizing your nutrition first. If you are getting enough protien for muscle repair and carbohydrates to keep your muscles full and enough fuel you should be able to power through your workouts. Not to be preachy, just a thought.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Just in here to say creatine isn't some weird chemical bros decided to stick their their bodies and hope for the best. You've probably been taking it your whole life, it's in fish, poultry, and red meat. If you've eaten any of these things and it didn't kill you then you don't have to worry.

That's not just some idiot on the internet spouting off, creatine has been subject to more scientific research than any other supplement. The worst it's done to anybody is an upset tummy.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited February 2021
    first if you said you have been training for 6 years and you are competing I would say you probably ought to should use it, cause everyone else on that stage is, but... since you have only been at it for six months (not being rude, it just takes years and years to build your body) just be patient, be natural, be healthy

I believe the supplement industry is unregulated so you are not sure what you are getting and most of the time it is not what it says on the jug, seems like every couple years another product gets pulled or disappears for fraudulent content

Creatine has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness, or purity.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/thermolife-international-llc-files-suit-against-vpx-the-maker-of-bang-energy-drink-alleging-super-creatine-is-not-actually-creatine-and-that-all-bang-energy-products-are-misbranded-300730106.html