Cheat day- Does it work for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I prefer to "cheat" a little almost every day. I will eat pretty much anything if I really want it, but in a reasonable quantity. If I let go of food quality AND quantity at the same time, it just sets me up for cravings. I have been there and don't ever want to go back.

^^^ This

I used to do "cheat" days, but they turned into cheat weeks. It is all over when I start eating fast food for breakfast because that sets me up for all sorts of Mayhem!

Now I carefully plan and have one day a week were I get to eat "a lot" of just one "formerly forbidden" food. I make sure I exercise a lot and really watch what I eat. Then, I can literally eat my fill of donuts, Bacon, pizza without feeling bad at all.

Also.. I do budget for a "treat" every day. A Small chocolate bar etc.

Tonight I have a big social occasion with some fantastic food. I am planning ahead by working out a lot today (running, stairmaster etc.) and being mindful of my calories during the day.

This way I can walk into the the dinner with friends with 1800-1900 calories "in my pocket" ready to "spend" guilt free! :drinker:
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but I've found it works for me. That said I don't treat it as a "no log" or "no limit" day. You should still track what your eating and I think it shouldn't go too much over maintenance. As far as whether you eat junk food or not is up to you.

Personally, the first few times I did a cheat day it was "no limit" and ate a lot of junk food and I just felt awful; I really wanted to get back to eating less, better, and healthier afterwards. It helped me stick to my diet. In fact for the past few weeks, I haven't even gone over my calorie goal on cheat days (basically snacking on junky things through the day, not worrying about macros, and having a healthy meal at dinner).

If there's a special occasion coming up (depending if it's going to be just a meal or a day long thing) I'll plan ahead of time to either 1) accommodate eating more that day, so eat less/work off more before/after, or 2) treat it as my cheat day.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to indulge at the weekends, so I balance it out by eating fewer calories during the week. It's worked really well so far. I wouldn't have had a fraction of the success I have without doing it that way.
  • 2woof
    2woof Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow, someone with a healthy attitude to food! I am amazed!!
  • fiofi
    fiofi Posts: 9
    Options
    OP I'm exactly the same. Once I cheat I find it hard to limit the cheat foods, so find it better to keep to my routine with the exception of special events. I can appreciate it works for some people, but just not quite for me!
  • sandifield
    sandifield Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way.. If I want something a lil special, i have it,, and account for it that day... I havne't had the need to have a cheat day since i starting watching my intake since March 17 2013:flowerforyou:
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I do not label it as cheating. I just call it living life. Eating well 80-90% of the time allows me to enjoy normal life like going out to lunch with my friends or DH without worry. I don't plan them out or pick a certain day of the week where i can eat whatever. I just go with the flow.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am doing JUDDD which is fasting one day at around 500 calories and then eating until satisfied the next. You just needs to bea reaslistic with the foods you choose. I cant have and all ice ceam and doughnut day but I can have a small serving of something good. Works for me.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    "Cheat day" is a beautiful thing! If by cheat day you mean eating processed foods, i.e. Pop Tarts then I wouldn't even call it cheating since as long as you work it into your caloric intake or it's part of your preplanned macros; it does no harm and it may very well allow you to live a normal life. If by cheat day you mean a day that you eat more calories overall than every other day in the week then I'm for that too since there are many real benefits. Among them; the day after a high calorie day your body burns more calories at rest, it gets you out of that constant caloric deficit which may at some point cause your body to become more efficient in that it will burn less calories to perform the same activities since that's what you've programmed it for, it allows you to go out and eat at social functions without obsessing over eating "too much", etc. There's no reason to be dogmatic about eating or much anything else.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with as much non processed foods as possible through out the week. I don't have a cheat day, but I do have a cheat dinner, which is usually Friday nights, order out. A whole cheat day would be a bad idea for me!!!!! So far what ever I get, still works into my calorie count for the day, and if it doesn't some Friday I wont sweat it.
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    I go back and forth about having a high calorie day. Usually the day after my high calorie day I find myself very hungry and miserable because my body is expecting these extra cals but yet I can't give it to it. It's so hard to get back on plan the next day and sometimes I feel like it's worth it but other time I'm not sure. I definitely realize that I can't do it every week. Maybe once a month would be better but I just usually play it by ear or how I'm feeling.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I will have a cheat day here and there. Though, this cheat day has left me feeling blah and not energetic at all. I had a craving for a highly caloric and highly startchy comfort food meal. I suppose I can't call it comfort food now.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. I eat whatever I want throughout the day as long as my calories permit it. Whether it be pizza or icecream. If it fits, eat it. :)
    could not have said it better:drinker:
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do not label it as cheating. I just call it living life. Eating well 80-90% of the time allows me to enjoy normal life like going out to lunch with my friends or DH without worry. I don't plan them out or pick a certain day of the week where i can eat whatever. I just go with the flow.

Exactly!!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It is a day where I eat something I like, that will put me over calorie limit for the day (like train wreck fries and ribs at my favorite joint). Or my favorite cake.

It does not mean that I get to stuff my face all day long. It is just one specific meal, and I try to minimize the damage (work out, have a lighter lunch). So I know I will be over calories for that day, but it will not derail my entire week's efforts.