Quick Shredded Chicken Ideas?

I ate Lidl chicken sausages like crazy, but they’ve reformulated and raised the calories by 50%.

So yesterday I crockpotted a bunch of shredded chicken.

Ideas for quick lunch and breakfasts appreciated.

This morning I had four ounces chicken, cheddar cheese, egg whites and cowboy caviar salsa rolled up in a carb smart tortilla. 253 calories, 40.1 (!!!!!) protein.

BBQ or Thai peanut sauce is an easy one.

What have you tried?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Are you sure they didn't just change the portion size on the label? That doesn't seem like a good marketing ploy unless they're trying to jump on the Keto wagon.

I use shredded chicken for everything.

BBQ sandwiches
    Tostadas
    With various vegetables and pasta
    On salads
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Had shredded chicken with melted brie and warned over sun-dried tomatoes for last night's dinner 😋
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Buffalo sauce, spring onions and a little cheese
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    In a tortilla with lettuce and Ranch or Caesar dressing.

Like others have said, in sandwiches, salads, or pasta.

I like to pair chicken breast with higher calorie carbs, like ravioli.

On the not-so-quick front, tonight I'm giving Lemon Pesto Pasta a shot:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/spaghetti-lemon-pesto?allow_token=41a2ebd8-f7c2-46fe-8468-a553c78696c5&utm_source=Christopher+Kimball’s+Milk+Street&utm_campaign=4c4c2b90ba-FTW_LEMONPESTO&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c373980eee-4c4c2b90ba-119508313&goal=0_c373980eee-4c4c2b90ba-119508313&mc_cid=4c4c2b90ba&mc_eid=6ca906de3d

You can also do a search for recipes using leftover rotisserie chicken. Here's 140:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/ways-to-turn-rotisserie-chicken-into-dinner/
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Enchilada filling - mix chicken with canned enchilada sauce and cheese (add garlic and green chiles if you want), roll in corn tortillas and place in a baking dish, cover with more enchilada sauce and cheese, bake 400F for about 20 minutes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    A chopped avocado, a jar of commercial salsa, a handful of roughly chopped coriander and the chicken. Have it in a soft taco shell.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Are you sure they didn't just change the portion size on the label? That doesn't seem like a good marketing ploy unless they're trying to jump on the Keto wagon.

Same 5 pieces/12oz package as before.

The ingredients list is very limited. Italian is chicken, green pepper, seasonings,flavorings and collagen casing. Unless collagen casings are way high calorie, I’m trying to figure out where all the calories are.

I wrote to them expressing a loud, anxious consumer waaaaaaaaah and got a canned response back that they’d direct my feedback to Consumer Review.

I ate my weight in their sausage every month. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks. It was very very good.

Thanks for the shredded chicken ideas, peeps.

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    1 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1 avocado , mashed
    1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups shredded chicken (from about 16 ounces of skinless, boneless breast)
    3/4 cup chopped celery (about 2 ribs)
    1/2 cup red grapes , halved
    1/3 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 cup chopped red onion
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

I have made this, so good!
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Shredded chicken on top of lettuce, sliced sweet onions, and sliced tomatoes with tzatziki sauce
    1 cucumber
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups Fage 0% Fat Greek yogurt
    3 or 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt (1 tsp in total)

Peel, half horizontally and then vertically. With the back of a teaspoon, remove the seeds by scraping down the middle. Grate the cucumber, place on a tea towel and squeeze as much water out as you can. Open towel, add 1/2 tsp salt to top of shredded cucumbers, close towel and squeeze. Allie to drain over a sieve. Set aside.
    Combine the yogurt, garlic, vinegar, and remaining salt in a large bowl.
    Squeeze cucumber again. Stir cucumbers into yogurt mixture.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Salad, chicken soup, in a tortilla with veg.

I had some leftover so had it for a lazy lunch today with half an avocado, some raw carrots, and a little piece of hard goat cheese. (I would have had cottage cheese too, but am out.)
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sauté onion and shredded cabbage in sesame oil. Add shredded chicken, soy sauce and Asian seasonings. I like Togarashi, wasabi powder and toasted sesame seeds. You can also use the rice seasoning or chili paste.

You can also do this in olive oil and add different spices like cumin/coriander instead.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    edited February 2021
    Mix it with gravy and serve over mashed potato and green beans or peas
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Microwave a sweet potato. Mix shredded chicken with some black beans, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic salt. Top potato with chicken mix + plain greek yogurt and green onions.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Chicken tacos or chicken taco salad
    Creamy chicken enchiladas
    Chicken,peppers,onions made into a quesdilla
    Chicken noodle soup
    Chicken and stuffing if you like stuffing omit the butter in it to save on fat if you are already tight on that macro
    Chicken chili
    Chicken taco soup
    Low cal pizza crust made into a bbq pizza
    Chicken salad
    Salsa chicken
    Chicken and rice

I know some of these aren't the healthiest or cleanest but it is easy to sub stuff with what you aren't comfy with

LORD JESUS guide 💟
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    I do chicken in the crockpot with onions, peppers, canned tomatoes, garlic, italian seasoning and a bit of white cooking wine. Serve over rice for my husband, plain for me. If it cooks long enough it shreds so might take your shredded and add those things to it.
  • stephtra49
    stephtra49 Posts: 168 Member
    Salsa chicken:

1 pound chicken breast
    1-2 cups favorite Salsa
    Crockpot
    spray pot with cooking spray, put the chicken and salsa in the pot, cook on low all day while at work or 4-5 hours on high. should fall apart like butter and put on salad, tortillas.....
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Oooh let me see...
    1. Shredded chicken tacos?
    2. Stir fry the shredded chicken with some onions, ginger/garlic paste, tomatoes and Indian curry powder.
    3. Mix with Mayo and S&P and chopped grapes and walnuts or cranberries for a lovely Chicken Salad mix?
    4. Season with Greek seasoning and eat with some cucumber sauce in a wrap?